• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 6,162 Views, 371 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of - Hustlin Tom



A man finds himself in Equestria after being teleported there by a shady human think-tank. As he learns to live among the pony populace, though, unsettling parallels between equine and human culture drive him to search for what their connection is.

  • ...
34
 371
 6,162

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10 REVISED

"You're kidding me," Lyra exclaimed as she looked up in the general direction of where my voice had come from, "You were visited by Princess Luna last night?"

I nodded underneath my invisible shroud, "I certainly was. Do all of your royalty speak in 'old-timey' though? How do they manage to get anything done when nobody understands what they're saying?"

"That's more just her shtick," she replied in a subdued voice as we walked closer to a bridge where some friends were sitting together, admiring the beautiful day around us. The fortunate thing about these ponies as opposed to the people I had always known was that they didn't seem to be in any hurry to go anywhere, so predicting where they were walking to was all the easier. I side-stepped a couple as they walked by Lyra, chatting about the performance of their foal in school.

As we reached the other side of the bridge I murmured back to Lyra, "'Her shtick'?"

"Yeah. Everypony else in the Canterlot Royal Family talks normally, it's just because Luna wasn't around for the past thousand years. See, back then-"

"Oh trust me," I stopped her, unconsciously waving my hand, "I know the details about Nightmare Moon."

She cocked her head a little and arched an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Intimately," I replied flatly.

"Ooookaaaay," she exhaled, before turning her gaze back to the road ahead, "Still, it is pretty odd to see any of the alicorns outside of Canterlot, let alone the Castle. The last time I heard anything about Luna was when she came to the Nightmare Night celebration a couple months ago."

"I'd think that'd be kind of super awkward," I exclaimed, "Showing up to the event dedicated to keeping away your evil side? That whole idea is-" I trailed off. I didn't want to say it out loud, it being about a holiday tradition and all, but it sounded utterly horrible.

"Yeah, it was initially pretty bad," she replied, "But we got over it once we realized she was reformed and her own pony, and not the dark figure we all knew from old pony's tales. She means well," she paused and smiled with small laugh, "Even if she can’t always get the words to come out right the first time."

My thoughts turned back to the concept of Nightmare Night itself. Why did it feel so much like Halloween? With the city names it was weird, and the holidays it was weirder still. Was I really looking into this too much? For all I knew this could be a parallel world or something where all those things were pretty similar, but obviously with the difference of talking animals. I had a momentary feeling of wanting things to be back to the way they were, just so something would make sense in a concrete way, but it passed. On the whole this place was treating me much better than Earth ever had, so I suppose it was really time for me to get some perspective. I needed to wrap up my thoughts anyway, because we had arrived at Rarity's.


The best word to describe Rarity I would say is probably “classy”: the white unicorn with the swirly stylized purple mane always tried to keep an aura of sophistication about her. Even though she did her best to appear like the upper echelon of society, she came from humble enough roots. She never forgot this, and because of that, she never could be known as stuck up. She had become a near-preeminent fashion designer in Equestria over the past few months, her creations being observed by some of the most popular and powerful ponies in the land. Even so, she didn’t allow the fame to stifle her creativity: she still took the time to make unique outfits for each and every customer, whether they were a friend or simply a client.

While of course I had my need to be here, seeing as my environmental protection suit was ragged and falling apart, Lyra also had a reason to come besides escorting me: the First Equestrian Orchestra was performing at an annual charity event in Canterlot, and she had received an invitation to join them as a guest musician. I was told it was a prestigious honor, and from the way Lyra had excitedly jumped around when she received the letter I could tell it was something she had wanted to be apart of for a very long time, and I was happy for her. Once the arrangements were made between the two of us and Rarity, we waited until a time when she would have a full morning open for 'the practice of discretion'.

A little bell tinkled as we stepped inside the Carousel Boutique, Rarity's refuge of creative talent. Pony shaped mannequins were arranged throughout the showroom floor, each wearing some gorgeous design that the fashionista had used her all to create. An elevated platform with three mirrors was to the back right of the showroom floor, with a concealed stairway not too far away. "Coooomiiiing," the two of us heard someone say in a whimsical sing-song voice. After a few seconds, the mare we'd been waiting for appeared from upstairs, gently but energetically trotting towards Lyra. "Welcome, welcome, Lyra my dear," she exclaimed excitedly, "How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing great Rarity," she replied in a normal volume, before lowering her voice to a whisper, "Is everything ready for Adam too?"

Rarity's posture straightened even further, somehow, and she proudly raised her head while continuing to look her in the eye, "But of course! Let it never be said that I don't keep my promises! I've booked out the full day for the two of you just in case, and Sweetie Belle will be off with her friends until later this afternoon."

Her horn lit up with a pale blue light, and the shutters of all the windows gently closed until they were only slightly ajar, letting in just enough light that we could all see, but not wide open so that somepony could casually look in. The door locked quietly behind us. At last we were in a safe, private place once again.

"Now then," she said as she began to look around, "Where is your exotic friend?"

I pulled back enough of my invisible blanket that my head was exposed, before letting it fall away completely, "Right here."

The fashionista's eyes sparkled a little as she looked up at me, her excitement now almost uncontainable. "What the others said doesn't even begin to cover it," she said as she cantered over, "You are extraordinary!"

Unprepared for such an opening statement, I blushed a little. "Do you talk to all customers like this," I asked bashfully.

"Only the cute ones," she said with a wink and flirtatious tone, "I like to think everypo-, apologies, everybody deserves a chance to have a sense of mystique. It's my expertise to help what's already there to shine!"

It was readily agreed upon that Lyra's measurements and ideas be taken first: Rarity was already very familiar with the equine form, so the technical side of her work was going to be a breeze. “Alright! Now let’s take a look at that midsection," she exclaimed as she wrapped her line of measuring tape around Lyra's barrel with her magic, "I’m thinking of a style that complements your personality: something that gives a sense of your free-spirited nature: something that says, 'Hello world! I'm alive and loving every minute of it!' " She stroked her chin in thought for a moment as she adjusted her red, wide rimmed glasses. Like a lightning bolt inspiration struck her, and she gave a little ecstatic jump and yelp, "A-hah! Something flowing and extravagant. Orchids! Graceful, charming, and absolutely marvelous! I’m getting chills just thinking about it!”

Lyra looked over with a smile, "I can't wait to see what you come up with, Rarity, but can we keep it a little restrained when it comes to flashiness? I'm not saying I want a frumpy dress or anything, but maybe something more subtle than you'd make for say Sapphire Shores?"

"I'll try to curb my ambitions," she replied with an over-exaggerated pout, "The customer is always right after all!" With a flourish she rolled her measuring tape back up before she took a look in my direction, "Now it's your turn, darling."

"Oh, um, right," I replied a little nervously with a slight cough as I stood up. While the majority of the fluid in my lungs was gone, the tiniest amount was still stubbornly hanging around. Fluttershy reassured me it would be gone within a few more days of treatment. Lyra stepped down off the platform to allow me access, and I hesitantly took her place.

"If you'd give me just a moment I need to think about my approach a little bit," Rarity declared as she paced around me. Her eyes narrowed as she thought for a moment, "I suppose it would be similar to dressing a minotaur, at least for the upper torso. Let's start there. Arms up please!" I quickly raised them for her, and her measuring tape snaked around my chest.

"Is this your first time having a set of clothes made for you," she asked with a smile as she worked.

"Um, yeah," I replied.

"Well then, I'll do my best to create an excellent experience," she replied, "Relax your shoulders. Don't hold your breath. Just breathe in and out like you would any other time."

I hadn't even realized I'd been holding it in out of nervousness, but started to realize how silly it seemed now to be doing so.

"Thaaat's it," she replied in a soothing matter, "You're collected. Cool as ice! You own this room and everything in it; now act like it."

Although mock praise, it still did raise my spirits just as she clearly intended. I didn't see it but she smiled knowingly to Lyra, who returned it.

"So there are Minotaurs in Equestria," I asked.

"Oh, there's a few," Rarity replied as she began to measure my arm length, "but the majority of them live to the southeast of Equestria near the sea."

"Have you ever met one?"

"No, not yet, but I can't wait to! I always enjoy meeting new beings, and exotic cultures provide me with a great deal of inspiration." She began to measure down my other arm, "Take yours for example: Twilight gave me a few pointers. Is it true your kind normally have more than one set of clothing?"

"Yeah," I said, even as internally I couldn't help but think how strange it was to be explaining this topic, "Most people have tons. Frankly, a lot of people have more than what they know what to do with."

"You must all be very rich to be able to afford so much," she declared before wrapping her tape around my stomach, "Don't suck it in: be comfortable with who you are."

"Sorry," I said as I exhaled again, "No, it's just that being naked is a little more frowned upon where I come from. Besides, the weather can get really cold at times where I was."

"Now that's fascinating," Rarity replied as she moved down to my waist, "What sort of style would you like for your top by the way?"

"Honestly, I don't really need anything fancy," I replied, "I know it's probably some kind of faux pas, but I'd be happy with just jeans and a t-shirt. It'll feel incredibly open compared to this stupid suit."

"Hmmm, all things considered it is probably for the best," Rarity said with a sigh before she became playful again, "Though it's just my first attempt at working on a frame like yours, you could at least credit me with some kind of challenge!"

"Ask for tons of gemstones," Lyra exclaimed impishly, "We can get you the most bedazzled t-shirt in all of Equestria!"

I gave a quick laugh, "I'm not sure I'm THAT comfortable with myself." The both of them got a good chuckle out of that too.

"So then," Rarity began before clearing her throat, "The, ah, next part does require the removal of your lower garments."

My mouth opened up a little, and I nodded my head nervously as I looked away, "Ah."

"I wanted to put it off as long as possible because of your sense of modesty. I promise I will be quick, and you don't need to take off more than is absolutely necessary." She gestured towards the other side of the Boutique, "Would you like me to get some screens, or-"

"No, uh, no it's fine," I replied as I reached for the discrete belt buckle around my waist, "I'm okay. I'm just still new to this whole, 'getting tailored for' experience."

After removing my boots and pants we continued on as if nothing had changed. Though still in boxers, it was odd to be standing there and not having either Lyra or Rarity looking at me as if something were different about me. I still had a momentary twinge of shame, but judging by their reactions I was the only one with a problem. It made me start to think just how different this world was. It felt more...innocent somehow. I couldn't explain it.

Rarity measured from my waist to my ankle, "That suit of yours is very...subtle in its aesthetics."

"What," I asked in confusion.

"She's trying to politely say it's really drab," Lyra declared.

"Well if it makes it any better I didn't want to wear it," I said, "It was sort of necessary for the trip over here."

"Clearly science just doesn't have the panache to discover things in style," Rarity said with a smirk, "Open your leg up please, I need your inseam."

"Right," I exclaimed as I open my thigh for her.

"Do they have cities where you're from," she asked.

"Loads!"

"Did you live in one of them," she asked as she glanced up at me, "While I do enjoy Ponyville and the pony's here, my heart has always ached for the metropoli: Manehattan, Vanhoover, Canterlot-"

"I, ah, more or less lived in one," I said before changing the subject, "Do you ever want to live in a city?"

"In certain moments I daydream about it," she said as she began her final measurement on my other leg, "Wondering what it would be like to move into a highrise, one with enough room to house a studio, then renting out floor space somewhere to show off my designs. Somedays it seems like I could be satisfied with that, even love it, but then I remember one thing."

Lyra cocked her head, "What's that?"

With her measurements done Rarity looked to her and then to me as she spoke, "I'd be leaving so many wonderful ponies behind to do it. For it's lack of distinction and occasional roughness around the edges Ponyville is my home, and providing for my friends and neighbors is my greatest pleasure."

With her measurements taken, and with myself all put back in order, Lyra and I exited the Carousel Boutique around just after noon. It was a great experience, just like Rarity had promised, but in the end when Lyra had meant to pay her she politely declined, saying our conversation was of enough value already.

"I almost can't believe it," I murmured.

"What," Lyra asked as we began our trek towards the edge of town.

"How can someone be so generous? I don't know anyone who would-"

"You sort of hit the nail on the head there," Lyra said with a smile, "The answer's 'Somepony like Rarity.'"

PreviousChapters Next