• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 28,119 Views, 4,135 Comments

Dan Vs. The Magic of Friendship(Season 1) - Barrobroadcaster



The story of a man named Dan and all his friends in Equestria.

  • ...
100
 4,135
 28,119

PreviousChapters Next
Central: Caution: Evil At Work

Colress' Magnezone dropped them off at the first floor. Phoenix turned around to ask the Magnezone if it was coming with them, but before he could get a word out, the Pokemon was already descending again back down the shaft.

"Thanks for the lift," he said after it. (How did Colress know we were down here? And where exactly did he come from, anyway?)

"Red energy field-thingy's still up," Dan said, gesturing towards the red barrier in front of the entrance. He hefted his Pain Cane onto his shoulder. "Alright, time to go breaking stuff."

Phoenix lifted his own parasol onto his own shoulder. "Got it. Blast Sisters, you know what to do."

They both smiled and nodded emphatically. "That voodoo that we do oh so well~"

"Uhh, hold on," Apple Bloom stopped them. "Shouldn't we all have a plan or something?"

"I'd like to have a plan," Sweetie Belle added.

"We have a plan," Dan said. "It's called breaking stuff. Nicky, give 'em the run down."

"Right," Phoenix said. "Basically, we have six general, all-purpose plans: A for Acquire, B for Break, C for Call for backup, E for Extract and F for Flee. So when Dan says we break stuff, he means we're going to bash everything we can find and we don't bother with stealing things. Plan A for Acquire is stealing things."

The CMC counted on their hooves. Behind them, Marksaline also was counting, noticing something amiss. "But wait, you left out D. What's Plan D?"

Dan flashed a proud yet sinister smile. "You'll know Plan D when you see it. Now, let's wreck this place like a cheap suitcase!" He rose his cane high and prepared to charge.

"Wait," Apple Bloom stopped him again.

He put his foot back down, lowered the cane and took a deep breath. Turning back to the filly trio, he batted his eyelashes and asked, "Yes?" It was important to help educate the kids.

"Shouldn't we get like... a map?" Scootaloo asked.

"Actually, we don't really need one," Phoenix explained. "Dan's explained this all to me before. Usually, in evil bases like, well, this one, the important stuff is labeled and there's signs and directions so the evil guards don't get lost. Dan's banking on us finding something marked "DANGER" or "WARNING" that's red and has a bunch of computers and we just bash those until they stop working. Then the lights turn red and we run out of the place before it explodes."

Dan patted his friend on the back. "I have trained you well, apprentice."

"Thanks." (I might have you train a friend of mine when we get back home.)

"So we're just gonna wing this?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Eeeyup. You wanted to help, so come on!" Dan said, hopping merrily off, swinging his weapon with Phoenix in tow. The Blasties hopped off to follow him and even Marksaline began to follow.

"At least he's not chasing Flim and Flam this time," Apple Bloom remarked.

"I feel like there's a story there, Apple Bloom. What haven't you told us?" Sweetie asked.

"I'll tell ya later," the Apple filly said. They trotted off to catch up with Dan and the others.

The only other way out of the entrance to the Stable was another elevator. And the only place that elevator let off at was one other floor. Apple Bloom was beginning to agree with Dan's strategy more and more as they followed the only apparent path forward deeper into the facility. But the further they got, the less it looked like a Stable and more like something else entirely.

They exited the elevator into a short hallway that led out into a wide corridor. While the floors were still the sterile white the Stable was plastered with, the walls and ceiling were replaced with a circular glass covering. They were now walking through a giant connecting tube that provided an ample view of the rock walls bordering the structure. It felt like being on the inside of an ant farm.

"Okay, remember what we're looking for: anything marked with "danger" or "warning" or "flammable." Especially flammable," Dan said.

"Might also look for a control room or an operations center," Phoenix added.

"Right, those are important things. Any opportunity for us to cause mayhem or destruction."

"Bonus points if you find all three!" Blast Fuse called out.

Marksaline sniffed the air and looked around. "They are here. But they are leaving."

Scootaloo looked up at the larger pony. "What do you mean? Who's leaving?"

The intercom answered for them. "All G-section crews, report to main processing. Station Fourteen is available for access at this time."

"Security team to Junction Three. Maintenance teams in Shaft D be advised: Phase Two alert is now in effect."

"Sounds like they're busy, whatever they're doing. Perfect," Dan remarked.

"Why is that perfect?" Apple Bloom asked. But she wasn't going to receive an answer as Dan opened the door at the other end of the corridor and stepped through it. Beyond was an absolutely massive room. Although they couldn't tell, it was cylindrical in nature, and they had just came in to a catwalk on the top part of it. They approached a railing and looked down to the floor, nearly getting vertigo. Below them was a buzz of activity: machines and white-suited technicians loading things onto trams.

"This... this must be the shipping part of the factory," Dan surmised.

"What are those troopers? Those aren't ponies," Phoenix pointed out.

"Dogs. Ore hounds."

"Dogs..." Dan repeated. "Those suits look like... like..."

"They look like Vice Grip," Phoenix said. And indeed, he was correct: the white, full-body suits had metal gloves and boots over the limbs, similar to the attire of the scientist responsible for all of this. The dogs' hunched over appearance was the only way of identifying them by species; their faces were covered completely by a face shield build into each suit. It looked like a cleanroom suit mixed with heavy-lifting hazmat gear.

A platform rose up from the ground. Onboard were seven dogs, each armed with a black rifle. Dan instantly knew they were a security response team of some kind just from the fact they were coming their way with guns. The dogs got off the lift and by the time they were on the catwalk, Dan and company were nowhere to be seen. The dogs didn't give it a single thought and marched towards the door, going back up the way Dan and the others had came.

Dan pulled himself up from the edge of the railing. "Ha! Should'a known they'd fall for that!"

"Playing it pretty close to the hip, as usual," Phoenix remarked, pulling himself up.

"Oh, I'm not done yet," Dan said. He snuck back up to the door, opened it and closed it behind him. Phoenix and the Blasties on the other hand, walked over and leaned against the wall, seeing now as good a time as any to take a break while they could. The sounds of gunfire and dogs shouting echoed through the other side.

Apple Bloom looked at Phoenix and pointed at the door. "Does he need help?"

"He'll be done soon," the lawyer replied. "You get used to this, trust me."

"I have a feeling I don't want to," the filly replied.

The door opened again. "Fillies! What size are you all?" Dan asked.

"Size?" they all asked.

"Yeah, small, medium, extra medium?"

Sweetie Belle shook her head. "What even is "extra medium?" You remember who my sister is, right?"

Dan grinned. "Extra medium it is!" The sound of screaming soon permeated the walls followed by loud cracking noises. When Dan stepped back out, he had twelve suits. "Okay, suit up."

"There's twelve suits," Sweetie Belle said, pointing at the pile of space-age fabric. "But there were only seven guys."

"Yeah?" Dan asked.

Scootaloo shook her head. "There were seven bad guys. How are there twelve suits?"

Dan held up two suits. "So I got medium and XM but there's only two XLs. I can't promise the glove-things will fit."

"How are there five extra suits?!" Sweetie Belle asked, her voice cracking adorably. Behind her, Scootaloo opened the door again and immediately regretted it. "Oh my..." her stomach turned upside down, her face turned green.

"If you have to throw up, use this spare suit," Dan said, holding one out to her. And Scootaloo obliged. While this was happening, the others were already dressing in their weird insta-Dan-modified hazmat suits. It didn't take long after for the CMC to dress in their own suits, though the ponies removed the gloves so they could walk on all-fours.

Phoenix held up one of the rifles. "What kind of gun is this?"

"Pulse Rifle," Marksaline said. She held up one and rubbed it against her face mask.

"Right, Pulsey rifle," Dan said, holding up his own. "I'm not really much of a "gun guy" but we'll manage. Okay, now if anyone asks, it's our first day and we're looking for the guy from orientation. Got it?"

"Yes," they answered unanimously."

"Repeat it back to me: "It's my first day and I'm looking for the guy from orientation." Say it back, please."

"It's my first day and I'm looking for the guy from orientation."
"It is my first day and I am looking for the guy from orientation."

"Good," Dan thumbs-upped them. "Follow my lead." They took the lift to the ground floor. Every few seconds, another tram would arrive and another would be loaded up and depart through a tunnel at the opposite end of the room. There were smaller trams and larger ones, all carrying different-sized crates that entered the room from conveyor belts.

"Sections MN through R ready for transport. Section X is now ready at Station Two."

"Cargo Team Nine report to Station Four. Transport One is departing."

"Should we try to sabotage one of the trams?" Blast Fuse asked.

"Wouldn't cause enough damage. But we could use them to get around," her sister said.

Dan nodded. "I think I just found someone we can ask." They followed him up to a platform above the entrance to the trams' exit tunnels. A displeased Captain Springer and a bored Lieutenant Spinner were busy overseeing the operations of the cargo crews.

"Another hour and we won't have to do this again," Springer said, hitting a button on her console.

Spinner was busy almost touching her hooves together. "Aww, but I like it here. Underground is so much cooler than underwater anyway."

"Yeah, but we won't be under either, so what difference does it make?"

"Hey there!" Dan said.

Springer turned her chair to look at the new arrival. "You need something?"

"Yeah, uh, I'm new. And my friends, too. We're looking for the guy from orientation."

"Orientation?" Springer asked.

"He must mean Lightning Claw," Spinner said. "He's usually in the Command Center with his brothers. Take a personnel tram and it'll take you right to it."

"Thanks," Dan said. "See ya later, Minty!" He waved and left.

Something about him seemed familiar to Springer but she didn't know what. She continued with her job, reminding herself that reassignment was a lot better than being fired and worked until her shift with Spinner ended.

Dan and company hopped into one of the yellow trams. They waved up top to Springer on the platform like nothing was wrong, at worst, appearing as if it was their first days on the job to the senior henchpony. She hit a button on her console and their tram shot down the tunnel. It was then she remembered the last person who called her "Minty" and made a call to the Command Center.

The tram raced down the tunnel. Like the corridor leading to the catwalk, it was a glass-covered tube. Unlike that same corridor, the space outside was... massive. And metal. Floor to ceiling, the same reddish-chrome color covered everything. Outside the tube was another massive room, a factory floor surrounding them. Magic Gears, MY-Claws and other weapons and systems were all being mass-produced outside the transport shaft on the right side. On the left side were vehicles and weapons that looked more like they were taken from Earth rather than built on Equestria. Tanks with twin barrels, armored blimps with faces painted on them and red-capped missiles.

"There's so many... there's so much," Phoenix remarked. "They're building an army to take over the whole planet."

Even Dan was dismayed at what he saw. "Yeah... that's a lot. Even by my standards."

"Why all the overkill though?" Phoenix asked. "Do they really think conquering Earth will be that hard?"

Dan shrugged. "Beats me. We're going to blow all this up, that's all that matters."

"Yeah... I just hope they haven't shipped that much of it out before we do." They all wished for that as the tram continued taking them underground until they finally arrived at the Command Center. They didn't see a single warning, danger or flammable sign and nothing painted in red. For Dan, that only meant their job was slightly harder.

They got off the tram, which didn't automatically shoot off when they exited it. The Command Center was more bluish than white or grey and oddly enough, there were flowers near the entrance outside the tram tube.

"Fake," Phoenix said, after they all examined the flowers. "Someone went to the trouble of decorating the place."

Dan knocked it over with a single swipe, smashing the flowers and the vase they were in. "Figured like a good place to start."

And that was when the door in front of them opened. Beyond it stood two ponies Dan hadn't directly met but knew about already.

Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara cast a glance at the shattered pot. "Was that really necessary, Dan?"

"It's bad enough that all of you have to be here," Diamond Tiara said. "Now you're making a mess of the place, too."

Dan removed his mask. "How?! How did you know it was us?!"

"What happened to you two?" Phoenix asked. "You... you're not fillies!"

Artificially Advanced Armored Adorabullies
Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara
F.I.S.T Executives

"We've received some... enhancements," Silver Spoon said, primping her mane.

"Not that you'll be so lucky," Diamond Tiara added. Both of them were adults and wore jewel-encrusted armor and tiaras. More than that, their bodies were crystalline like that of Crystal Ponies. But Dan had just won question for both of them.

"How the hell do you take those things off to use the bathroom?" They both glared at him, their only response. He continued, "Sure, you look like a jewelry store train wreck but what happens when nature calls and you're trapped in that armor?"

"Blueblood's solid gold outhouse comes to mind," Phoenix remarked.

"Ha!"

The two rolled their eyes. "A lady does not discuss such things."

"So, both of you still can."

"Ughh. You are going to be difficult, aren't you?"

"Well, I mean, I came all the way down here just to ruin your day... you'd think I could get some appreciation," Dan said, batting his eyelashes at the two of them. "Does this seem difficult to you, pawn shop pony?"

Silver Spoon grinned. Oddly enough, she was not taking the role of second-banana to Diamond Tiara this time. She and the pink pony stepped to the side and she said, "Why don't you take it up with our associate? I think you both are already acquainted."

Lightning Claw, a lot larger than he was last time, took up most of the corridor as he approached them. He said nothing.

"Hey, Lightning!" Dan called. "You got your horn fixed! And... it's longer."

Lightning said nothing. His body rippled with static electricity.

"You're not still brainwashed are you?"

His horn started glowing until it turned white-hot, looking like a bolt of lightning itself. The air began to smell like ozone.

Phoenix stepped back. "That's new."

Author's Note:

Violence is magic in Dan's case.

PreviousChapters Next