• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,951 Views, 10,576 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,576
 28,951

PreviousChapters Next
Tools: Knowledge

Ratchet, Clank, and Twilight made their way directly back to Mukow, and from there to the arena, eager to meet up with Qwark to see what he'd found. Of course, once at the arena, they found they had to fight their way through a few challenges first, not that they were actually challenging. Several waves of enemies went down easily, only to be followed by yet another larger target.

The enemy itself, however, was rather unique. Its body appeared to be made entirely of energy, given shape only by its armor, which was somewhat reptilian in design.

"It's time for our next major contender of the evening!" Qwark announced as the beast flew in, waving to the crowd. "It's a giant...menacing...energy creature of some sort!"

Twilight stared flat eyed at the announcer box. "Seriously?" she asked, her voice flat. "That's seriously the best he can do?"

"It's Qwark," Ratchet pointed out. "What'd you expect?"

"Some effort, at least," Twilight pouted.

The creature was easily dispatched, however. Its attack pattern was predictable and easily dodged. The only challenge proved to be just how much punishment it could take.

Once it was down, Qwark rose up on his platform from under the arena. "Outstanding work, strangers I've never met!" he proclaimed expansively. "And now for the fruits of your labor! One holo-pirate disguise for Moustachio - perfect for parties and undercover misadventures..." He tossed the device to Ratchet. "And for the little guy-" He pointed to Clank. "A copy of my new exercise book, 'Body By Qwark'! Now you too can have the Calves of a Champion!" He tossed the book to Clank, knocking him on his back. "And for Periwinkle, a secret message from our sponsors!" He tossed an info bot to Twilight before his platform dropped back down.

The recorded message on the infobot spoke of a super computer by the name of IRIS, currently held in the possession of Captain Slag.

"Maybe this IRIS knows where to find the Dimensionator," Ratchet suggested.

"That would explain the Holo-pirate disguise," Twilight allowed. "Qwark doesn't know we're honorary members of Slag's crew. But...why the exercise book?"

Clank, who had wondered that himself and opened it, froze. "I will explain back at the ship."

As he refused to say more, the trio decided to adjourn to the ship.


"Aphelion," Clank stated, handing over the 'exercise book' to the ship's scanners, "please check the text of this book for data encryption."

"Scanning," Aphelion confirmed. "...the text itself has no encrypted data, but when scanned through pink, lavender, and violet light, three levels of data encryption are stored in the pages themselves, as though someone printed the encrypted data out in the pages, and then wrote on them to hide what they were. However, I am unable to determine the decryption password."

"Try LSBFF," Twilight offered, causing Ratchet and Clank to turn to look at her in confusion.

"...data decrypted," Aphelion replied. "It is the complete schematics of all of Tachyon's weapons, ships, and defenses, including a signal that can be emitted to disable the homing capacity of Drophyd weaponry."

The trio could only stare. "Okay," Twilight admitted finally. "I forgive Qwark's lackluster arena announcements. He certainly knows his spycraft when he puts his mind to it. He's just a terrible actor."

"Which may well be his greatest advantage," Ratchet allowed, "since any suspicious behavior is written off as him just being stupid."

"Remind me not to underestimate him so much in the future," Clank added as Aphelion - acting on the coordinates in the infobot - set course for the Kreeli Comet.


As Aphelion came in for landing on Kreelie Comet, several pirate ships were seen blocking the path to IRIS. "Any ideas on how to get through?" Clank asked.

Twilight opened a communications channel. "Captain Slag, can I access IRIS, please?" she called out pleadingly.

Captain Slag's visage appeared on the screen. "I dunno..." he replied worriedly. "Only the highest ranked officers get access to that comp..."

"Please?" Twilight begged, her ears going flat against her skull as her eyes widened. "When...when I saw what Tachyon had done to the Hall of Knowledge - and outlawing Knowledge, of all things - it made me so mad! But...but a supercomputer of mysterious origins with possibly all the knowledge in the universe...it's like a dream come true for me. Couldn't...couldn't you let me access it as a birthday present? My 15th birthday's coming up..."

"It is?" Slag asked, shocked. "Then I need ta ask IRIS what the perfect present'll be for ya! Come on, I'll show ya the way!" The Captain stepped out of one of the ships and waved them on to follow.

"The power of cute compels you...the power of cute compels you," Ratchet whispered, waving his hands jokingly towards Slag as though performing an exorcism. Twilight, Clank, and Aphelion all giggled in response.


With Slag's escort, the trip through the icy landscape of the Kreeli Comet was uneventful, and the group reached the vault where IRIS was kept without trouble. Twilight immediately raced forward to access the supercomputer. "IRIS?" she called out eagerly, her hooves on the touchpad. There was no response. "IRIS?"

"Huh...it was functional last time I was here..." Slag muttered.

"Twilight, let us investigate the inside of the system," Clank offered. "Perhaps we can make some repairs."

Nodding, Twilight ducked into the internal areas of the supercomputer along with Clank. They hadn't been in there long before Twilight climbed back out, glaring at Slag angrily. "Captain...would you care to explain why so many of the interior components are missing or damaged?" she demanded angrily, her mane and tail beginning to flow like flame.

"Well, we needed the spare parts-" Slag began.

"Spare parts!" Twilight demanded angrily. "You scavenged her for spare parts?"

"It," Slag corrected absently.

"Her!" Twilight snapped. "This is no mere machine or supercomputer. I already spotted what has to be a mere fragment of the most advanced personality core I've ever seen! IRIS is as alive as you or Clank or Rusty Pete!"

Slag stared, completely poleaxed. "B..but..."

"Captain, I'm going to want every part ever scavenged from IRIS to be put back," she ordered. "It's going to take a while to fix, but you are going to help!" She ducked back inside.

Slag bridled angrily. "Where does she get off orderin' me around? I'm the Captain-"

"Get me those parts or I'll take them out of your chassis!" Twilight barked.

"Yes Ma'am!" Slag replied quickly, almost instinctively, before rushing off to do as ordered.


Given how quickly Twilight worked when this intense, it was only an hour later when she'd finished the repairs. She'd sorted through the parts brought back to see what was still usable, what could be repaired, and what needed to be flat out replaced. "Alright, I've done all I can," she stated finally. "With the help of Clank and the Zoni that were in there, IRIS should now be at...80% functionality. At this point, once IRIS is activated, she can tell you what else she'll need to be fully repaired, and her auto-repair functions will take care of the rest. Just make sure to be careful when running around inside her in the future. She doesn't like grog, it doesn't agree with her electronics."

As she spoke, IRIS came to full activation. "Thank you, Twilight Sparkle," IRIS stated, her robotic voice echoing.

Twilight jumped. "You know my name?"

"I have been expecting the three of you," IRIS replied.

"What can you tell us about the Dimensionator?" Ratchet asked.

"Dimensionator," IRIS replied, calling up the schematics. "Created by the Lombax architects of Breegus Minor. Its creation marked the turning point of the Great War."

"Where is it now?"

"The last prototype was hidden by explorer Max Apogee in Kerchu City," IRIS replied.

"We'll have time for more questions later!" Twilight interrupted. "The Zoni told Clank that Talwyn was going to die in Zordoom! We need to rescue her!"

"Right!" Ratchet agreed. "Slag, can you blockade Kerchu City to make sure Tachyon doesn't get anywhere near it?"

"I won't let that scurvy dog within a hundred parsecs of the place!" Slag barked out.

PreviousChapters Next