• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,912 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,912

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Vapedia

"Now entering Bernilius Sector," Aphelion intoned as they entered the new sector of space.

"Here's hoping we're actually getting closer," Twilight murmured. "I...I miss Mommy..."

"We'll find him soon, Twi," Ratchet assured her. "I promise."

"Ratchet, come in!" Alister called out through the comms. "I've just picked up a looping transmission on one of the emergency frequencies. Can you make anything of it?" A strange oscillation of sound came through the speakers.

"Mommy!" Twilight called out happily.

"You got it, Twi!" Ratchet confirmed. "That's a distress signal with Clank's signature. Aphelion, track-"

"Setting course to Planet Vapedia!" Aphelion intoned, correcting course immediately.

"I'll meet you there as soon as I can!" Alister promised. "But...if the Clock were on Vapedia, it would have been found long ago."

"Then we need to get to him sooner," Ratchet grumbled. "Because someone's taken control of the Clock from him."

"And we need to take it back!" Twilight insisted.

"Engaging maximum warp," Aphelion warned.


As they made their way towards Planet Vapedia, they were intercepted by another Valkyrie ship. "Bonjour, Monsieur Lombax!" the pink armored Valkyrie greeted. "I see you picked up on our-"

Twilight seized the controls as her magic flared, a massive silhouette of an alicorn made of living fire surrounding Aphelion. "GET OUT OF OUR WAY!" Twilight roared out as Aphelion blasted right past the ship and through the energy barriers raised to stop them. "I'm coming, Mommy!" Twilight shouted in a more normal voice as Aphelion dove in towards Vapedia's atmosphere.

The Valkyrie commander stared, her jaw hanging. "...girls, if anyone asks, we saw nothing," she ordered to her troops. "Now where's the nearest mead hall?"

"What about Libra, Commander Carina?" one of the squad leaders asked.

"When the little one is not angry enough to summon a fire giant," Carina replied. "We may be Valkyries, but last I checked none of us were named Freya."


Vapedia was a blue world that, at first glance, wasn't plain whether the blue was from water or gas. The few bits of land floated high up in the atmosphere, traversable only by flight or the bridges connecting them. Alister was waiting for them when they arrived. "Clank's distress signal is coming from somewhere inside the citadel," he explained as they arrived, gesturing to a massive building visible in the distance.

"Then why'd we land all the way out here?" Twilight demanded. "Why not just blast our way in?"

"Because my circuitry needs time to repair after the magical overcharge you manifested to get past the Valkyries," Aphelion scolded the overenthusiastic filly. "It would have been better if I'd just ripped the ship in half like last time."

Twilight's ears went flat against her skull. "...sorry..."

"I'll be fully repaired by the time you're all ready to leave, but I'll need to stay put until then," Aphelion offered softly.

"Then we'll just go in on foot," Alister insisted. "Nothing we can't handle."

"Right," Ratchet agreed firmly. "Let's go."

The stony outcrops floating amongst the clouds were lush with grass and trees, somewhat idyllic in appearance. Ratchet insisted Twilight take the time to take in the scenery while he purchased them each a Mag-net Launcher from the Grummel-net vendor nearby, wanting her to be calm for this mission. Once the group was ready to go, they moved forward together.

The Omni-boots proved most useful in getting from outcrop to outcrop, and before long they began the approach to the Citadel itself. Valkyries began charging them on foot and by winged jetpack at that point, the foot soldiers being a bit more svelte in appearance than the commanders had been. Their primary armaments seemed to be large guns and larger hammers. Unfortunately for them, Twilight was a bit too quick on the draw for any of them to show what the weapons were capable of.

Once they'd dealt with the first group of charging Valkyries, Ratchet unlocked an airship dock that allowed them to commandeer a Valkyrie airship - little more than three hovering platforms fused together - to make their way to the Citadel itself, a large collection of buildings resembling Old Earth nuclear power plant silos.

As they moved in, another Valkyrie commander - this one in orange - blocked their path. "Well, well, well," she greeted coldly. "If it isn't the galaxy's favorite Lombaxes. Come to rescue your little friend?"

"Our quarrel isn't with you, Cassiopeia!" Alister shouted back. "Hand over Clank and we'll cause no more trouble!"

Cassiopeia burst out in laughter. "After what happened to Libra, you really expect me to be so forgiving?"

Twilight took a close look at the Valkyrie. "Say, Ratchet...doesn't she look familiar?"

Ratchet blinked, taking a look. "Huh. Now that you mention it...except for the coloration and the helmet, she looks a lot like Helga."

"Now that we have what we-did you say Helga?" Cassiopeia demanded, rounding on Ratchet and Twilight. "How do you know that name?"

Twilight snorted. "Know the name? She's one of my best friends! I trained under her when helping get my brother, Captain Qwark, back into shape!"

"You lie!" Cassiopeia proclaimed. "If Helga was truly your trainer, than she would have taught you-"

Twilight lifted up onto her hind legs, one hoof over her left eye and the other at the tip of her horn. "Zip Zoom Zigaloom, Zam Zot Zut!" She then went back down to all four legs. "She said that was 'the secret greeting' if anyone asked about her."

The Valkyries stared in shock. Cassiopeia finally found her voice. "She...she lives?" she gasped out. "We...we thought she had fallen with the destruction of our colony! Where has she been all this time?"

"Solana," Twilight replied easily. "Though more recently, she's with the Polaris Space Pirates-"

"Forget Nefarious!" Cassiopeia proclaimed as all the Valkyries turned to leave. "One lost has been found again! We go to her!" As Cassiopeia led the way, she shouted out, "I'm coming, Mommy! I've missed you!!"

Ratchet, Twilight, and Alister stared at the retreating warrior maidens. "Well," Ratchet finally said. "That was..."

"You really trained with the Valkyrie Queen?" Azimuth demanded, stunned. "The Child of Freya? Surt-Slayer? She who tamed ten thousand leviathans?" He shook his head in wonder. "No wonder you're both so skilled."

Ratchet blinked. "Huh. Helga never mentioned she was famous..."

"The least they could have done was tell us where Clank was!" Twilight pouted.

"Well, the path's clear at least," Ratchet offered.

Shrugging, the trio made their way further in unhindered.

PreviousChapters Next