• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,918 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,918

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: Weapon

Once Qwark stopped trying to puzzle out the insult, the group continued making their way through the city. As they progressed, they encountered nothing new in terms of enemies or obstacles, only in how they were put together to create new challenges. However, despite the best efforts of the Minion bots to delay them, the group of four was able to deal with each combination as it presented itself to them.

At the top of an elevator, however, something far more interesting awaited them: a sixth secret lab entrance. "EEEEE!" Twilight squealed happily as she saw they had collected enough Critters to access it. "Yes yes yes yes yes!" She raced up to the warp pad, and the rest of the group followed with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

As expected, the lab contained yet another puzzle test for guiding a critter through tubes to the end, this one the longest and most complex of them all. However, working together, the group was able to get the critter safely to the end. At that point, the completed mecha was displayed, and Dr. Croid's voice could be heard. "Congratulations, volunteers. You've passed the final test. You are just the kind of candidates I've been waiting for. As a reward for your steadfast participation in our program, I would like to offer you a field test of my latest weapon. The original design was sold to me by a weapons magnate, but I managed to make a few...improvements."

The actual mechs appeared, awaiting their pilots, as the voice continued. "I present to you the RYNO 6 Protosuit. High velocity arm cannon, trillium shell, and a hacked Grummel-net smartchip that allows it to multiply its power exponentially when other Protosuits are in use. With this weapon, Nevo and his collectors won't stand a chance."

Twilight bounced up and down eagerly as the long awaited weapon approached. "This is going to be so exciting!"

The lab then shifted, placing the group in a simulated area to allow them to test out the RYNO Protosuits, the auto-canons devastating the Minion bots sent in to be tested on. The hacked smartchip created an FTF effect that unleashed a devastating wave of electrical energy similar to the effect of the Rynocerator, except that it destroyed any lower level hostile.

Within the sim lab, the Protosuits had infinite ammo. However, once out of the lab, Qwark discovered something somewhat unpleasant. "Wait...only 12 shots? That's less than three seconds of auto-fire!"

"With how frequently we encounter those ammo replenish points," Nefarious pointed out, gesturing to the nearest such one, "I think we'll be fine. It's not like we don't have even more weapons to fill in the gaps."

"But...absolute devastation!" Qwark whimpered pathetically. "It's so much fun!"

Nefarious gave him the fish eye. "Are you sure you're a hero?"

"I'll see about tweaking these in a bit," Twilight offered. "For right now, let's keep going."

"Actually, the ammo limit might not be that big a deal," Alister pointed out. "The Protosuit's also equipped for melee combat, and can do an impressive amount of damage by punching. The maneuverability is impressive as well, with the secondary jump jets."

"Definitely plenty to play with..." Twilight purred before putting her Protosuit away.

Before long, the group reached a wide square platform made up of smaller square platforms. Once they reached it, the bridge to it pulled back. "Here come the waves," Alister groaned as the predicted waves of Minion bots attacked. As the waves continued, however, the smaller platforms began to crumble, decreasing the space the group had to fight on.

"That's...worrisome," Twilight murmured, her wings fluttering nervously.

"A stronger word might be appropriate for those of us without wings," Alister pointed out firmly.

Thankfully, the last of the enemies was destroyed long before the platform fully crumbled, at which point a sequence of rail platforms began to race by at the opposite side. "Launch over!" Twilight called out.

With quick acting, the Vac-U's were used to launch the group across to the same platform together, at which point the platforms stopped moving, letting the group make their way to the one in front, where a Spin target awaited them. Once launched, they reached the edge of the city...and in the distance, Ephemeris was visible.

"There it is," Twilight murmured softly as she stared at it. "Ephemeris. Which means this is Vilerog Plateau."

"We're finally here..." Qwark murmured softly.

"This nonsense is almost over and done with," Nefarious grumbled under his breath, eager to finish up so he could start making preparations for Friday.

Alister narrowed his eyes, seeing three figures in the distance. "...isn't that Susie?" he gasped out in shock.

"What?" Twilight yelped, quickly rushing forward.

As Alister had deduced, Susie waited at the edge of the cliff above the Plateau, planning an assault on Ephemeris with her two friends. "What are you doing here?" Qwark demanded in surprise.

"Leading an assault!" Susie proclaimed proudly.

The four glanced at each other, trying to figure out the best way to approach this. None of them wanted to see this little girl charging into danger, but none of them wanted to crush her emotionally either. Finally, Alister stepped forward.

"Susie," he spoke up softly. "I know well the pain of losing someone central to your life...and I know how it can lead you into doing reckless things, trying to do anything you think might make some of the pain go away. But that's not the way to handle it."

Susie lowered her head, not sure what to do now.

Alister rubbed his chin for a time. "But you wouldn't want them to be disappointed in you, would you?" he mused. "How about you three guard this spot for us? Make sure nothing gets out?"

"You mean guard the perimeter?" Susie gasped out.

"Exactly," Alister confirmed. "Don't move from your post until the mission is complete. Understood?"

"Sir yes sir!" Susie proclaimed, saluting. Her friends saluted as well.

Alister retruned the salute before leading the group towards the Plateau, the three kids staying where they were left.

"You're surprisingly good with kids," Twilight mused, making Alister rub the back of his head, flustered.

PreviousChapters Next