• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,905 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,905

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Lumos 1

As Ratchet and Twilight left the Agorian Battleplex aboard Aphelion, they received two transmissions in quick succession. The first was from Qwark, informing them that he'd gained information regarding a secret entrance to Nefarious' base of operations, and that he would be investigating. After the usual exchanges of luck wishes, warnings to be careful, promises to be careful, warnings to not do anything rash, and a Pinkie Promise to make contact before taking any major action, communications were cut.

The second transmission was from Azimuth. "Ratchet, Twilight, come in! I just landed in Krell Canyon."

"Any sign of the Obsidian Eye?" Twilight asked eagerly.

"None yet," Azimuth replied, "but if the coordinates are right, it should be somewhere near the Odin Caves."

"Anything more specific?" Ratchet asked wistfully.

"I'm afraid not," Azimuth admitted. "I'll secure a landing zone for you. Get here as soon as you can."

"Setting course for Planet Lumos," Aphelion chimed in as soon as the communication ended. "Also, running hot shower and warm bath for each of you. You need it."

"Wait, you can smell now?" Ratchet gasped out.

"Much to my regret when you just came back from the Battleplex," Aphelion chided. "While you both clean, I will be laundering the syntho-leather covers of the seats."


Aphelion came in for landing gently beside Azimuth's own ship. "I will wait here unless you have need of me," she promised as Ratchet and Twilight hopped out. "It's a pity Alister's ship won't be much for conversation..."

Ratchet and Twilight glanced around at the landing spot Azimuth had suggested. It looked to be the entrance of an old mine, with cart tracks laid here and there over pits, water flowing down into deep chasms, cracks in the roof letting in sunlight, and the occasional plant life springing up from the brown dirt amidst the stones, although the last seemed limited to desert grass or mushrooms.

"Perfect timing!" Azimuth praised from just ahead. "I've triangulated the Obsidian Eye's location, somewhere in these caves. Follow me." He activated his new Omniboots to coast over the tracks across the chasm directly in front of them. Ratchet followed suit, while Twilight flew overhead.

Before going too far in, the pair stopped at the Grummel-net vendor, where they were each able to acquire a new Plasma Striker, the latest generation sniper weapon, which included a new Bioscope for locking onto vulnerable spots for more efficient kills.

Azimuth waited for them at the edge of a deep pit. "We need to find some way to raise that mining platform," he explained, gesturing below.

"I'll get it!" Twilight shouted as she dove down, her horn glowing to light her way.

As Ratchet sat back to keep an eye on Twilight, he noticed Alister looking around fondly at the place. "Been here before?" he asked curiously.

"Your father and I used to come here all the time when we were children," Alister murmured, fondly reminiscing. "It was a Raritanium mine back then. It's...all dried up now, but this whole place used to shimmer." He stared around, his eyes half closed as he visualized the place as it once had been. "We'd sneak in after the miners left and hoverboot through the darkness." As a particular memory resurfaced, he pointed to a particularly tricky looking jump. "Kaden almost broke his arm right over there."

"What happened?" Ratchet asked curiously.

"He tried to supercharge his hoverboots to clear a jump three times too wide for him," Alister replied with a chuckle. "First it was too much and he nearly slammed into the wall...and then his boots ran out of juice and he nearly fell into the pit. Had to pull a rather tricky maneuver myself to save him." He sighed fondly. "Oh, how we laughed about it on the way home. We had some good times out here..."

As he finished speaking, the mining platform rose, shortly followed by Twilight, and then by her Omniwrench. "Got it!" Twilight proclaimed proudly.

"You seem to use your wrenches well," Azimuth praised. "Customized them at all? Every Lombax customized their wrench as they got used to it and grew into their skill set." He held up his lance. "I tweaked mine to specialize completely as a weapon."

"Well, I gave mine a remote tether," Ratchet explained, pointing to the energy link where the head attached to the shaft of his Omniwrench. "Good for manipulating things just out of reach when you don't have Twilight's telekinesis."

Grinning widely, Twilight spun the base of her wrench to make the energy blade expose itself.

"Very nice!" Azimuth praised of both modifications. "Kaden altered his to be an all purpose tool that could manipulate any number of interface points at range. He called it his Omnidriver." Seeing the confused expressions, he chuckled and explained further. "Like a screwdriver, but for all tool needs."

Twilight tilted her head. "That...sounds somewhat familiar-" She paused. "Aphelion, why are you laughing so much?" she demanded through the comms.

"You'll get it soon enough!" Aphelion replied, still chortling.

Shrugging his shoulders, Azimuth gestured inward. "Come on. Let's explore the caves."

As they continued onward, Azimuth stopped Ratchet and Twilight. "Hold up." He gestured towards a large, black, nest like structure. "See that nest over there? Tetramites." As he spoke, swarms of tiny metal mites with one large eye on their back and one large mouth between their four legs swarmed out. "Stay close and, whatever happens, don't let them touch you."

"What happens if they do?" Ratchet asked worriedly.

"Let's just say they can digest anything," Azimuth explained. "They hate water, though, so if we can get to the other side of that creek-"

"On it!" Twilight replied, focusing her horn. Water from the creek was pulled out of it, forming spheres around the three adventurers. "How's this?"

"That might protect us for a little bit," Alister replied. "But we shouldn't rely on it. As a swarm, Tetramites are smart enough to figure out they can jump through this if we give them the chance. ...let's move!"


The group continued through the caverns, evading the dangers even as Azimuth reminisced about the various locations where he and Kaden had gotten up to youthful rambunctiousness together. At one point, after a leap into an area of almost total darkness, he hesitated. "It...wasn't just Kaden and I who came here," he admitted. "And...it wasn't just as children." He gestured to a spot in the corner, where bioluminescent fungi turned a small trickle of water over stones into a river of liquid silver. "There, for example. It's...it's where Kaden...proposed to Vashir..." He gestured to a concealed corner nearby, filled with carved wind passages in the rock. "I was...over there. Playing music to...set the mood. They were so...happy together..." Blinking, he turned away, dashing tears from his eyes.

"...Uncle," Ratchet began firmly. "Why aren't you with the other Lombaxes?"

Alister hesitated. It was plain he didn't want to talk about it, wanted to deny the importance of the question. But with Ratchet using that familial address... "...because I failed them," he admitted.

Twilight and Ratchet moved up near him. "We're listening," Twilight offered softly.

PreviousChapters Next