• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,929 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,929

PreviousChapters Next
Arsenal: Phoenix Tools

Twilight sat happily in the main room of the quarters suite she shared with Ratchet and Clank aboard the Phoenix, laying on the couch in the center next to Sasha as Ratchet gave a slightly embellished account of the assault on Tyhrranosis. Skidd sat on one corner of the couch, while Clank took the other corner. To Twilight's eyes, Sasha was eating up the story. Not necessarily because she found this type of story entertaining, though. She'd have to confirm with Clank later, but it looked to Twilight like Sasha simply enjoyed watching the lengths Ratchet went to in his attempts to impress her.

As it got to a rather dramatic point of the retelling, Skidd gasped. "No way...what happened next?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Skidd, you were there," she muttered.

"Oh, right," Skidd chuckled nervously.

A hologram suddenly appeared on the table. "Yes, go on," the bulkier holographic robot - who resembled a butler - commented. "We're all riveted."

Twilight was glad she'd taken to wearing her Sparks prosthetic at all times, just in case something like this would happen. She slipped easily into character. "I could have sworn you were soldered," she joked.

"How amusing," the portly robot commented.

"So, this is the mighty Q Force I've heard so much about," the hologram of Nefarious proclaimed.

"Nope," Twilight quipped. "That's three nodes down. This is the local chapter of the Captain Qwark fan club."

"Lawrence!" the Nefarious hologram proclaimed angrily. "You said you had the right signal!"

"I do sir," Lawrence replied in a long suffering tone. "It's Sparks. I believe she is yanking your power cable."

"Oh, of course!" Nefarious proclaimed. "Clever Sparks, but you won't fool me! It takes more brains than you have to pull the wool over my eyes!"

"How did Captain Qwark sneak into your base without us knowing?" she asked, glancing over the hologram's shoulder.

"Qwaaa-" Nefarious started to scream as he spun around. He then froze, his green dome turning pink.

"Oh Janice," a masculine voice said passionately. "I'll never let you go."

"But Lance, we can't!" a feminine voice replied. "What would our families think?" Kissing sounds could be heard.

"I don't care! I love you so much!"

Shaking his head, Lawrence gave Nefarious a quick smack upside the head.

"-aaark!" Nefarious finished, then blinked. "Where did he go?"

"He was never here, sir," Lawrence groaned out.

"Made you look!" Twilight giggled.

"I am trying to brag about how pathetic you all are compared to me!" Nefarious snapped.

"And I'm trying to keep you distracted as Captain Qwark directed while Al traces your communications signal," Twilight replied happily.

"Guess who succeeded?" Al asked over the PA.

"QWAAAAA-" His circuitry sparked again.

Lawrence shook his head. "Clever girl," he murmured over the soap opera playing from Nefarious before disconnecting the communication.

"Qwark's a better planner than I thought," Sasha muttered.

"And an even better one if this had actually been my idea!" Qwark proclaimed happily.

Sasha stared. "That was a bluff?"

"We are supposed to make Qwark the center of Nefarious' attention," Twilight pointed out.

"And now you know why we don't play poker with her," Clank explained.

"The signal came from a facility on Planet Daxx," Al explained.

"You're going to need some new equipment to handle that place," Sasha explained. "A new gadget just came in from Gadgetron: the Hypershot. It's like a combination of the old Swingshot model and the Megacorp Dynamo. It can activate various devices and attach an energy cable to various hypershot targets, much like the old Swingshot could."

Twilight's eyes lit up. "An energy cable? You know, there's this idea I've had ever since I first saw the Swingshot. Can you provide me a pair of swingshots, two swing targets, and one drag target?"

Sasha frowned, scratching her chin. "I think we can provide those from the nano-manufacture plants. But why?"

Twilight's grin was infectious. "Just watch me work!"


Half an hour later, Twilight tossed a modified Swingshot to Ratchet. "Put this on, Daddy!"

Shrugging, he did so. "What about this part?" he asked, gesturing to the cord and sensor dangling off the wrist strap.

"Hook that to your belt where you have the Tyhrra-Guise," Twilight explained as she did the same with hers.

Shrugging, Ratchet did so.

Twilight then aimed her Swingshot at Ratchet and triggered it. The energy cable locked onto Ratchet's Swingshot and dragged her to him. "It works!" she yelled happily. "Ever since back at the fitness course on Metropolis when we had to wall jump, I'd been thinking of ways we could keep up with each other through areas where it's easier for one of us to traverse than the other!"

"Excellent!" Ratchet said proudly. "What happens if you lock onto me while swinging, though?"

Grinning, Twilight activated the spare swing target. "Try locking onto me!" she proclaimed as she swung from the swing target.

Shrugging, Ratchet did so. "Whoa!" he shouted as he found himself swinging on an extended cable from Twilight as she swung.

"Just as I designed!" Twilight proclaimed happily. "This is going to be so fun!"

Sasha shook her head ruefully. "Quite a handful, isn't she?"

"Oh, she's easy enough to manage when she's inventing," Ratchet joked.

"It's the rest of the time that she's impossible to control," Clank explained.

PreviousChapters Next