• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,940 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,940

PreviousChapters Next
Tools: Cobalia Civilized

With Ratchet's 'disguise' in place, the trio made their way into the Cobalia spaceport. Their first stop was the weapon vendor. Approaching the automated device, they discovered it was actually a remote uplink to a network.

"Welcome to Grummel-net's Weapon Shop," a gruff voice said through a communications grill. "Here you can buy ammo, upgrade your weapon, or purchase new tools of destruction. Go ahead, name your poison."

Ratchet and Twilight glanced at each other nervously. "Umm...do you take Gadgetron bolt cards?" Twilight asked nervously.

"Gadgetron?" the voice replied in surprise. "Huh. Didn't think anyone in the Polaris galaxy would know that name."

"So...do you?" Ratchet asked for clarification.

"Kid, Grummel-net is the Polaris branch of Gadgetron," the voice replied. "While regulations dictate we can't sell or deliver Solana weaponry to Polaris systems without written approval from Orvus Zoni-"

"Who?" Clank asked, the name ringing a chord in his programming.

"I dunno. It's just on the contracts," the voice replied. "But anyway, if you've got a Gadgetron account, I can sell you anything Grummel-net with whatever discounts and the like attached to your account. Just insert your card, and we can get right to the dealing."

Smiling, Twilight inserted her bolt card - and Gadgetron ID - into the indicated slots.

"Well blow me down!" the vendor proclaimed. "It's Twilight ruddy Sparkle! What are you doing all the way out here in Polaris?"

"Buying weapons," Twilight replied jokingly.

"Fair enough," the vendor agreed. "I'll just let Mr. Fixit know you've been located. He's had an intergalactic APB out ever since you vanished during Tachyon's attack on Metropolis."

"Well, let him know I'm doing just fine," Twilight requested. "So what do you have to sell?"

"Well, first there's the brand new Tornado Launcher and Plasma Beasts," the vendor began, going into his spiel as the weapons in question were displayed. "The Tornado Launcher, as the name indicates, launches a tornado disc which you can remotely guide to destroy your enemies. The Plasma Beasts, once launched, lie in wait until anything designated 'hostile' enters their range, at which point they launch themselves at the target and burst into toxic - and caustic - goo. Excellent for getting past shields and taking down groups."

"Oooh!" Ratchet crowed, rubbing his hands together in eagerness.

"We've also got some combat gadgets available, too," the vendor continued. "The Groovitron you started working on based on that spell you used in the final battle of Annihilation Nation - you know, the one you never finished because you had to take time off? - has been completed and ready for combat use. We also have the Leech Bomb, which will drain nanotech right out of your enemies to replenish yours."

"We'll take everything!" Twilight proclaimed happily. "How much will that put me out?"

"Barely a drop in the bucket, thanks to interest rates," the vendor replied. "Want to upgrade them, too? Ever since the development of upgradable weapons, your account's been credited a good amount of raritanium, too. For bonuses."

Twilight's grin was almost vicious. "Yes!"

A few minutes later, Ratchet and Twilight were each equipped with all available weapons and battle gadgets, fully upgraded. "Keep an eye out for the armor vendors!" the vendor called from the grill. "They work for us, too!"

Smiling, the pair continued onward through the port, looking for an available ship. Eventually, the came across a blue skinned, lizard faced sophont dressed as a pirate arguing with a huge headed and eyed parrot.

"Don't you lay this on me, you worthless sack of Kerchu sweat!" he was shouting. "You were supposed to watch the gel gauge!"

"AWK!" the parrot replied. "Blame the parrot! Always blame the parrot!"

"Is something wrong?" Twilight asked, stepping up.

"Nothing for you to worry about, little lady," the reptile replied.

"AWK!" the parrot shouted. "Imperial spies! Hide the bodies! AWK!"

Before anyone else could react, Twilight had her combuster at the parrot's face. "Go ahead," she growled out. "Associate me with that idiot Tachyon again. I'd love to see what these upgrades do."

The parrot stared at her for a time. "AWK! Can I have a cracker?"

The reptilian alien couldn't help but laugh. "No need to be so hostile, little lady," he said graciously. "He don't mean no harm. We're just a couple of smugglers, is all. My partner's just a tad paranoid."

Twilight withdrew her gun with a smile. "I'm Twilight. What are your names?"

"AWK! No names! No tracks! AWK!"

"Well, I have to call you both something!" Twilight complained.

The Smuggler scratched his chin for a bit. "Well, how about you give us some nicknames, then?" he suggested.

Twilight glanced back and forth between them for a time, then grinned. "You're Blue Shift," she proclaimed, pointing to the smuggler. "And you're Red Shift," she finished, pointing to the parrot.

"AWK! Capital idea! AWK!"

Blue Shift chuckled. "Well, that's something to smile about today..."

"Is there a problem, sir?" Clank asked, walking up along with Ratchet.

"The imperials have shut down the Gelatonium plant," Blue Shift explained. "As a result, we can't refuel our ship."

"We'll turn it back on if you'll give us a lift off-world," Ratchet offered.

Blue Shift grinned widely. "Friend, you've got yourselves a deal." He pulled out a device reminiscent of the old Hydrodisplacer. "You'll need this Gelanator to pull the job off."

"Thanks!" Twilight said happily, eager to play with the new toy.


Progress through the Gelatonium plant was rather uneventful, although at times Ratchet did have to get firm about moving forward, as Twilight enjoyed bouncing on the gel cubes the Gelanator produced a little too much. Even the gel eaters weren't a problem, as Twilight was able to surround the gel cubes with magic walls that prevented the gel eaters from chowing down. Once the plant was fully operational, the trio exited the factory.

On the way back to Blue Shift, Twilight and Ratchet paused at the Armor Vendor to see about getting the new Blackstar Armor. They proved to actually have a model fitted to Twilight as well, which was quite surprising.

"Snazzy new threads," Blue Shift commented as they caught back up to him in front of his ship. "I'm heading ta Stratus City myself. That work for you three?"

"Sounds good," Ratchet agreed. "We'll figure out our own path from there."

"Then hop on in," he agreed, gesturing them inside.

PreviousChapters Next