• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,930 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,930

PreviousChapters Next
Nexus: The Classics

"So, any chance any of you know where we are?" Cronk asked curiously as he examined their surroundings, still not letting go of Twilight. The ground beneath them appeared to have been paved at one point with brown stone, the green grass sprouting up here and there showing how long it had been since it had been maintained. Stone walls had been built around the courtyard, and towering pillars of natural stone stood out in the far distance.

"Planet Yerek," Ratchet spoke up quickly. "In the abandoned Zarkov Sector."

"The one with the Alpha 9 disaster zone classification?" Zephyr asked, surprised.

"Yup," Ratchet confirmed. He took a closer look at the surroundings. "And if I'm not mistaken, specifically in or near the ruins of Meero, where Vendra and Neftin grew up in an orphanage. Where they started on the path that led them here."

"Nefarious gave you good information, didn't he?" Twilight asked happily as she finally released the warbots. "So now what?"

"We find a place where we can signal Aphelion to come get us," Ratchet stated firmly. "Let's go."

The group set off together, leaping out off the high plateau they were on towards the tops of other stone pillars, making their way in the only direction available. As they reached another sheltered plateau, they found signs of where it had been inhabited, and just how long it had been since it had been properly tended. Tables and chairs were scattered around, and lights hung partially out of their fixtures. A large shake caused part of the ground ahead of them to collapse.

"That's odd," Zephyr mused thoughtfully. "There's no record of Planet Yerek having ever suffered geological instability. There shouldn't be any quakes."

"Then perhaps something artificial is causing the reaction?" Clank suggested diffidently.

"In that case, we should hurry," Twilight warned. "We're surrounded by buildings on the verge of collapse, and we don't want to be under them if they do."

As they continued, another shake occurred. When it did, Twilight, Ratchet, Cronk, and Zephyr all pulled back, having seen purple light shine up through the ground, followed by three purple and white foggy forms floating into the air as the ground collapsed. "Did...did anyone else see...?" Ratchet began nervously.

"Nether energy," Twilight confirmed.

"And constructs resembling the ectoplasmic," Cronk added.

"Can't confirm if they were actually ghosts, though," Zephyr finished.

"...why did I perceive none of this?" Clank asked worriedly.

"Your sensors probably aren't programmed to handle Nether Energy," Twilight suggested. "Daddy and I perceived it biologically, and Cronk and Zephyr perceived it because their physical being is now magical constructs, making their senses no longer entirely physical."

As Ratchet used Clank's heli-pack to glide across the wide chasm that had opened and Twilight flew, Cronk surprised everyone by simply leaping across the gap with Zephyr on his back. "You know, I think I have to thank Vendra next time we see her for blowing me up!" he proclaimed happily. "I haven't felt this fit since I was on active duty before working for Max Apogee!"

"Know what you mean, Cronk!" Zephyr agreed as he scaled a nearby stone wall like a spider. "I feel newly manufactured, and my mind hasn't been this clear in...well, I guess that's one thing I still can't remember!"

"I'm glad you're both thriving," Twilight managed to say through her giggles. "Still, you shouldn't be too reckless-"

Cronk burst into laughter at that. "Twilight, we're warbots! Don'tcha know what that means?"

"It means something else these days," Zephyr pointed out. "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

"In that case, we oughta show 'em!" Cronk stated enthusiastically, his entire arms pumping like a shotgun. "Sides, we're undead! Our aspect of the curse probably got supercharged by that discharge of magic and Nether Energy that shattered us. It'd explain why we came back at our prime, rather than the state we died in like the rest of the undead crew."

"Does that mean we might be immune to Vendra's Nether Energy?" Zephyr asked eagerly.

"Either that, or its one of the only things that can disrupt us for any length of time," Cronk corrected. "Only one way to find out, though." He leapt up to the top of the wall Zephyr had climbed.

As Ratchet, Twilight, and Clank raced along behind them, Zephyr pointed straight ahead to where two Thugs-4-Less goons were terrorizing a frightened looking Terachnoid. "Escaped prisoner under pursuit at 10 o'clock!" he shouted, drawing the Thugs' attention.

Before anyone else could react, Cronk leapt across the distance, rolling under the first guard's weapon before coming to his feet, a blade popping out of his right arm as he slammed it into the guard's chest. Grabbing the wrist holding the weapon, he spun so that the convulsions from being stabbed caused the guard to discharge his weapon into his compatriot, staggering them. He then hurled the impaled guard into the shot guard, sending them both tumbling into the seeming abyss below them before withdrawing the wrist blade. "You alright sir?" he asked the Terachnoid.

"Show off!" Zephyr called out jokingly as Ratchet and Clank's jaws dropped.

"More incoming guards above!" Twilight shouted warningly as robotic Thug drones descended towards them from the air.

"Those are mine!" Zephyr proclaimed. His arms and legs twisted, becoming blades as a high-powered jetpack popped out of his back, extending steering foils before launching him into the air. He danced around the drones, moving too fast for them to even register his shape, let alone counter his attack as he split them apart one by one with swipes of leg and arm blades, spinning around like a whirling dervish in three dimensions before coming to a halt back on the ground. As his limbs returned to normal, every drone fell to pieces, raining down into the abyss below.

"You were saying?" Cronk shouted back teasingly.

Ratchet's jaw hung even lower in shock.

Clank managed to pick his jaw up and speak. "They weren't kidding. They don't make warbots like they used to."

"I WANT!" Twilight squealed eagerly, imagining what she could learn by studying Cronk and Zephyr's original functions this way to upgrade Nefarious' robotic form, just to see how powerful she could really make him. After all, Qwark deserved a real challenge in the final battles whenever they 'clashed'...and Nefarious would love all the new and wonderful toys!

PreviousChapters Next