• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,905 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,905

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Memories

"So," Clank asked as he walked alongside Sigmund through the halls of the Great Clock, "what's next on our Temporal To-Do List?"

Sigmund went over a few details from his check list as he compared them to things that had been taken care of already. "Only one thing left on the checklist...test mnemonic station Iota."

"Station Iota?" Clank asked curiously.

"Yup!" Sigmund confirmed. "As in, 'Iota test a mnemonic station'!" Seeing Clank's stare, he shrugged helplessly. "Sorry. Orvus' sense of humor rubs off on you after the first thousand years."

"You've worked for him that long?" Clank asked, surprised.

"Relatively speaking," Sigmund allowed sheepishly. "Quantum entanglement really screws with your internal chronometer, so it's hard to be sure...especially when we rarely deal with time linearly."

Clank nodded in understanding. He could well imagine how frustrating that could be. Letting the subject go for the moment, he followed Sigmund in the direction of the mnemonic station, pausing only long enough to repair any damaged parts of the Great Clock that he came across.

"I need to head to sector nine," Sigmund commented after reading a status report. "I'll meet you at the station!" He pointed in the direction Clank needed to go, then headed off.

Clank carefully made his way along the indicated path, past a more complicated Time Pad puzzle and several intruding hostiles before eventually catching up to Sigmund, who was getting a door open while complaining about some of the malfunctioning tech. Entering, Clank discovered that the mnemonic station itself was in need of repairs, which his Chronoscepter was able to provide. He then hopped in to test it.

---

As Clank entered his mindscape again, he was surprised to find The Plumber fishing several odd chunks of tech out of a large green pipe sticking up out of the ground for some reason. Each piece of tech seemed to be something out of Clank's memories. The 'exercise book' Qwark had given him, the Dimensionator, Tachyon's helmet...

"Hello?" Clank asked, confused.

The Plumber spun around. "Oh, it's you!" he gasped out in relief. "You gave the old ticker a start."

"I am not sure why you would be surprised to encounter me in my own memory banks," Clank pointed out. "Why are you here?"

"Your memory banks?" The Plumber asked, surprised. "Huh. Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I thought I was in the green fella's head, what with all the empti-"

"Keep in mind that is my son you are speaking of," Clank interrupted.

"No offense meant," The Plumber replied quickly. Reaching into the pipe, he pulled out a photograph. Ratchet, Clank, Twilight, and Qwark gathered together, posing for a family photo...Qwark managing to somehow give himself bunny ears. "Huh. Lotsa things are different, aren't they? Ya look so happy in this picture..."

Clank walked up to the pipe. "...the symbolism is rather intriguing..." he murmured. "This pipe...it's my path as my father's son...and my...family must be removed from the path for me to walk it unhindered. A rather...upsetting choice."

"Just keep in mind, Clank," The Plumber replied, attaching a tiny ticking egg to the photo, causing it to slip down the pipe freely, "your choices are your own. Keep your eyes peeled, and there's always a new path available." Light shone upwards from within the pipe. "And the future turns brightest when you least expect it..."

Clank prepared himself to leap into the light...only to turn to The Plumber. "Are you coming?"

"Plumbers don't just go diving down strange pipes willy-nilly!" The Plumber proclaimed petulantly. "That'd be silly." He then chuckled softly. "Thanks for lettin' me say that line. It's my little girl's favorite." Before Clank could question, The Plumber knocked him into the pipe, where the warm light surrounded him.

---

"So does it work?" Sigmund asked as Clank stepped out of the chamber. "I picked up some odd neural readings there for a bit."

"The station is operational," Clank hastened to assure him. "I merely encountered something...unanticipated."

"Well, then our last stop is the Orvus Chamber itself!" Sigmund proclaimed proudly. "Last one there's a rusted Zoni!" He raced ahead eagerly.

Clank shook his head as he followed along. "So very much like Twilight," he murmured as he moved in pursuit.

A few more invading biological hostiles got in Clank's way, but he dealt with them quickly and readily. The upgrades he'd installed of Twilight's design seemed to be rather overpowering as far as the foes he encountered were concerned. "Maybe I can do more on our adventures than just riding along on Ratchet's back," he murmured thoughtfully as he tossed another creature out into empty space.

The final Time Plate puzzle proved the most challenging, but Clank was able to make it past it after a bit of trial and error once he got the timing down better. After the last few hurdles, Clank caught up to Sigmund at the entrance of the Orvus Chamber. The door was massive and ornate, with an unusual locking mechanism. A switch designed only to react to Clank's unique body type while holding a Chronoscepter caused the bronze mechanism on the door to rotate until it and the two glowing circles took the shape...of Clank's own face, Orvus symbolically passing the reins of the Clock to Clank.

The Orvus Chamber itself was massive and wide open, a wide observatory that looked out upon all of time and space. In the exact center was the control terminal, which slowly rose out of the ground as Sigmund triggered it. It was a round circle around a single handle, allowing anyone to take hold of it to turn time forward or backward at will.

Sigmund spoke quietly about how much of Orvus' life post Clank's creation surrounded observations of Clank and the others...but the saved video files that played showed Clank far clearer than Sigmund's words could just how much he meant to his father. After a time, Sigmund played an 'orientation message'...a holographic recording of Orvus.

"Hello, XJ-0461," Orvus greeted warmly. "Or should I say Clank? Here in this very chamber, I watched over time. And now that you understand the power of the Clock, I must ask you to protect it at all costs; for even the slightest misuse of its power can rip the very fabric of existence. The Clock, much like Time itself, is a gift, and not to be tampered with." Orvus' expression saddened. "But like any father, my only wish is that my-"

The message was cut off at the same time as a strange electrical field shut down Clank's systems.

Lawrence smiled softly to himself. "I'm sorry, were you in the middle of something?" he asked playfully, having learned a very important lesson from watching his employer.

Gloat after the heroes have been dealt with.

PreviousChapters Next