• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,826 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,826

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Rescue...Again

As Ratchet and Twilight returned to Aphelion, Twilight was down while Ratchet was pensive. "How did it go?" Aphelion asked worriedly.

"We...weren't able to save Orvus," Twilight sighed sadly.

"Yet," Ratchet corrected. "I'm pretty sure he vanished into time, so we just need the Great Clock to scan for him."

"I'll get in contact with-incoming communications!" Aphelion's words showed the unexpected interruption. "It is of high priority!"

Vorselon's visage appeared on the screen. "Greetings, young Lombax!" he proclaimed. "I think I have come across something that belongs to you." He stepped aside, the view now revealing Azimuth in a cage.

"General!" Ratchet shouted out worriedly.

"It is a dark day when one is tasked with destroying half the galaxy's Lombax population-"

"Signal traced," Aphelion informed Ratchet and Twilight. "Shall we set course?"

Vorselon frowned. "I was going to tell you where we were anyway," he growled out.

"So you could lead us into an obvious trap by implying Ratchet could swap places with Azimuth, which you knew would lead us into sneaking in to try and free him so you could get all of us?" Twilight countered. "Secret Agent Clank, Season 3, Episode 4, A Hero's Sacrifice. If you're going to use a cliche plot, at least make up original dialogue!"

Vorselon made strangled noises and a few strangling motions towards Twilight before getting himself under control. "Do I just kill him then?"

"Ratchet! Twilight! Don't listen to him!" Azimuth shouted out. "Find the Clock!"

"You've been outvoted, General!" Twilight called out. "We'll be there before we left!"

"Wait, what?" Vorselon demanded, confused.

"Activating Quantum Fold Drive!" Aphelion announced. Just before communications cut, Vorselon was stunned as Ratchet and Twilight burst in behind him.


By utilizing the energies of the open Time Gate, Aphelion was able to warp through time and space to a specific set of space-time coordinates without straining the quantum fabric, allowing them to arrive at Vorselon's warship exactly six minutes(1) before they left. "Sorry I couldn't give you more time," Aphelion apologized, "but any further would have strained the Quantum Drivers(2) and the Etheric Hole Driver(3)."

"It's alright, Aphelion," Ratchet replied. "It's more than enough time."

"As long as we move fast and quiet," Twilight agreed. "If Vorselon doesn't make the phone call, we'll make a paradox, and he won't make it if he knows we're on board."

"Hologuises?" Ratchet asked curiously.

Twilight grinned widely. "Hologuise Mark 2!" she replied, pulling out the devices. "Makes us look like flying robots, so we can jump without disrupting the image."

Hopping out of Aphelion's canopy, the pair stopped by at a Grummel-net vendor to get the latest version of the Buzz Blades weapon, which proved much more effective in the latest manifestation than it had been in Bogon or Solana. Once the weapon was purchased, the pair activated their Hologuises and made their way into the ship. The gadget worked as well as it always had, and the robots inside the ship let them through unmolested. They even went so far as to help open paths for them once Twilight explained - in a robotic voice - that they were reporting to Vorselon for orders.

Vorselon's warship hadn't changed inside, so they didn't need to wander all that much to make their way to where Vorselon was just finishing his phone call to them. Hearing that, they both busted in.

"What?" Vorselon demanded, shocked. "How?"

"You'd be amazed what our ship can do!" Twilight proclaimed proudly. "And then there's this!" Reaching into her bags, she pulled out her RYNO-4-EVER. "Wonder what happens if I pump Zoni energy through this?" Grinning widely, she hooked the Zoni containment capsule to the weapon's power core.

"Hit the deck!" Ratchet screamed out in terror as he dove behind the nearest cover as the weapon warmed up.


Twilight stared out at the wreckage of the ship, the bits and pieces of floating detritus that the trio were clinging to, and the new star that had appeared out of nowhere. "...note to self...don't do that again." She quickly disconnected the capsule. "Is everyone okay?"

"The containment cell took most of the damage," Azimuth groaned. "My ship's on its way to pick me up..."

"I hid behind the containment cell, so I'm okay," Ratchet muttered as Aphelion swooped up.

"No sign of Vorselon," Aphelion informed them as she collected Ratchet and Twilight while Azimuth entered his own ship. "Perhaps next time you could avoid making such a big mess, Twilight?"

"Yeah...definitely not doing that again..." she muttered, putting the weapon away. "So...where do we go next?"

"I was hacking into Vorselon's computer when I got caught," Azimuth explained. "I'd only gotten as far as coordinates to the Bernilius sector."

"Do you still have the coordinates?" Ratchet inquired.

"I'll upload them to your ship and meet you there," Azimuth replied readily.

"Got it."

The pair of ships made their separate ways towards the Bernilius sector.



(1) The Plumber does state later that it's the safety margin.
(2) The parts of Aphelion's new tech that allows her to manipulate quantum energy, installed by the Zoni.
(3) Since the Zoni were also exposed to Twilight's magic, they were able to install an engine that tapped into the etheric fields directly, with the magical equivalent of a controlled white hole, endlessly pouring mystic energy into the drives at a controlled rate.

PreviousChapters Next