• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,912 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,912

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: Memories

Ratchet sat back on the beach, watching worriedly as Twilight worked at building a sand castle with Clank's help. While there was nothing about the situation itself that should worry Ratchet, it was Twilight herself in general that Ratchet was concerned with. Ever since they were reunited after Vox's manipulations, she'd been rather clingy. She was only ever truly comfortable if Ratchet and Clank were both in sight, and if only one of them was present she tended to get nervous, constantly looking around for the other. Neither of them had dared to leave her alone once they noticed this.

Even at night, things weren't doing well. She tended to wake with nightmares several times during the night, often screaming. The only way she could sleep well was if she slept cuddled in Ratchet's embrace, with Clank in his sheep suit. Her old Qwark plushy - recovered from their Solana homestead - made a somewhat good substitute, as they discovered. She couldn't fall asleep comfortably with it, but it did work to keep the nightmares away if she stayed in Ratchet's arms.

All in all, it was plain that Twilight was suffering from what had happened, and Ratchet wished he could do more. "I wonder if the resort has a psychiatrist on staff," he murmured.

"It does," Barb said as she hovered into place beside him. "Clank's already scheduled her an appointment for evaluation so a treatment plan can be drawn up."

"Really?" Ratchet asked once he'd calmed down from being caught off guard. "Good old Clank. Knew I could count on him."

"The only problem might be that there's two evaluations," Barb explained. "Once with the parental figures present, once without."

Ratchet winced. "She's not going to like that," he murmured. "She's always hated being alone, and this is just going to make it even worse...as if that wasn't bad enough after Bogon..."

"Aside from all that, she seems rather well adjusted," Barb pointed out. "Highly intelligent-"

"Can't take credit for that one," Ratchet countered. "She was a genius the day she crashed through my roof."

"But you gave her opportunities to develop her intelligence," Barb pointed out. "You never held her back, pushed yourself to keep up with her, and encouraged her every step of the way."

A chuckle greeted this assessment. "Now you sound like Clank did back on Quartu, trying to convince me I was doing a good job being her father despite my worries," Ratchet reminisced. "Even said my worries were a point in my favor."

"She's certainly an unusual child," Barb agreed. "But it's not just her intelligence that speaks in her favor. She's kind, compassionate, generous, loyal, honest...such good qualities born of your raising her. It shows just what a good job you've done, despite all those hurdles."

"I had good starting material," Ratchet pointed out.

"I am certain Twilight would disagree with how little credit you give yourself for her well being," Barb sniped back.

"Not what I meant," Ratchet disagreed. "I...I've never known what I was doing. 90% of the time, I'm completely lost, scared of doing something horrifically wrong...convinced I'm going to fail her..."

When he didn't say more beyond that, Barb spoke up again. "How do you deal with it? How do you keep going?"

"When I reach a point of indecision, I ask myself one question...and act on the answer," Ratchet replied. "...What Would Nana Do?"

"...Nana?" Barb asked, her synthesized voice quavering.

"The nurse-bot who raised me back on Veldin," Ratchet explained. "I...I wasn't raised by her long, but she was the closest thing to a mother I ever had. If...If I've been a good father to Twilight, I owe it to Nana..." A choked sob caught his attention. "Barb? What's wrong?"

Barb rubbed at her optics, lubricant tears pouring from them. "Oh Ratchet...I...I'm so happy..." Without warning, she pulled him into a hug. "I had care of you for such a short time...but I could see your potential...I tried my hardest to give you everything you needed, so you'd grow up to be good...I...to know you credit your good work with Twilight to me...to say you're a good father...because I was a good mother..."

Ratchet tried to pull back, confused. "Barb, what are you talking about? We only just met-"

"You would sit still so happily when I braided ribbons into the floof at the end of your tail," Barb reminisced, her voice crackling. "You hated the ribbons themselves, so you shed them as soon as you thought I wasn't looking, but you loved the attention. As soon as you thought I wouldn't realize it was deliberate, you'd come back upset that they'd all fallen out, and I'd braid them in again..."

Ratchet's eyes widened, then quivered. He hadn't even told Twilight that story. "N...Nana? But...but how?"

"When the Thunder Soldiers destroyed me, the pirates they worked for salvaged and sold the pieces," she explained. "My CPU and Personality Core are hardwired together, so they had to be sold as a single item. And then...who should I be assigned for the last time as a Battle Bot but your daughter, Ratchet..."

Closing his eyes against the tears, Ratchet wrapped his arms around the robot who'd shaped his early life. "Nana..."

Over by the sand castle, Twilight smiled as she watched the reunion. She was glad she hand't told Ratchet flat out that her flame throwing Battle Bot was actually his old caretaker. It was good for both of them to discover the strength of their bond - and the reunion - this way. Inside, she felt a little bit of the pain of the Dreadzone fade, seeing some of the good that came of the experience.

Unfortunately, she was forced to look away. Even Barb's Dreadzone design brought back the painful memories...all the more painful because those memories should have been happy.

Noticing Twilight's reaction, Barb pulled back slightly. "I'm thinking of applying for a retrofit," she brought up. "Maybe get a job here on Pokitaru. They do have child care here for families who want to have some alone time for the parents."

"I could rebuild your original body, if you want," Ratchet offered. "I still have the specs."

Barb chuckled. "I'll just bet you do. How many times did you give me an unofficial repair job when I malfunctioned?" She nudged him teasingly. "Thanks all the same, Ratchet, but I need to start fresh. Besides...I like being Barb. I like the flame." She glanced at her flame throwers. "I'm thinking of asking for chef protocols, too."

"You were a pretty good cook back on Veldin, too," Ratchet pointed out.

"Flatterer," Barb taunted.

"Want me to help design your new body?" Ratchet asked.

Barb smiled at him. "I'd like that. Just don't let Twilight be a part of it."

"I'm not actually a licensed roboticist, either," Ratchet pointed out.

"Not that," Barb interrupted. "I just don't want to find out sometime down the line that she snuck a particle cannon or two or a heavy rocket launcher into my new chassis, 'Just in case'."

While Twilight enjoyed the sound of Barb and Ratchet laughing together, she couldn't help but feel the joke was on her somehow. Thus, when Clank started giggling, she pushed him into their sand castle and stuck her tongue out at him. That led to a rather enjoyable half hour of throwing sand at each other.

PreviousChapters Next