• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,930 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,930

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Zanifar

The planet of Zanifar was protected by a special satellite barrier that likely would have proven more of a deterrent if Aphelion weren't so heavily upgraded. As it was, the only reason Ratchet and Twilight were even aware of it as they approached was because Aphelion mentioned it in passing. Zanifar itself proved to be a rather picturesque world, the area they landed in being filled with snowy plains and distant - and not so distant - snow capped peaks. The only thing marring the beautiful vista was the massive fortress of Dr. Nefarious.

"My sensors are detecting an unknown anomaly," Aphelion spoke up as they started their approach. "Similar to the one that hit us near Quantos."

"That must be the time gate Clank said he was making for us," Twilight hypothesized, only to pause. "Time...Gate? That terminology seems...familiar."

"We'll think about that later," Ratchet replied. "We need to figure out how to get to Nefarious and Orvus before Clank's Dad bites the big one!"

"Right!" Twilight agreed as the pair leapt out of the cockpit. "Any help you can offer, Aphelion?"

"Unfortunately, my own quantum signature is currently unstable due to the newness of the Zoni based upgrades," Aphelion apologized. "It would be best if I limited my activity on this world as long as active Time Gates are present."

"Then we'll do this the old fashioned way," Ratchet decided, limbering up with his Omniwrench.

As Ratchet and Twilight began to explore, they encountered enemies similar to the mushroom like creatures they fought on Quantos, but a different color. They did not appear to be any more durable, however. The robots deployed by Nefarious to patrol the area proved to be much the same as they'd encountered before as well, providing little to no challenge for their tried and true tactics.

Not far along the path, the pair came across a Grummel-Net vendor, which now had a new Cryomine Glove for sale. The weapon was apparently based on some old Lombax tech, and deployed mines that would home in on hostile targets and freeze them solid. Ratchet and Twilight each bought one, once Twilight was able to get hers modified to work for her even though she lacked fingers.

Beyond the next gate, the pair encountered Fongoids who appeared to be rather miserable. The first they approached brightened at their presence. "Praise Orvus, a Lombax!" he proclaimed eagerly. "Have you come to rescue us?"

"Actually, in all likelihood, when we're done here you'll have never needed saving," Twilight replied. "Clank sent us here after arranging to stabilize the temporal anomalies here into Time Gates we can use to go back in time to save his father, Orvus, from Nefarious...which probably means whatever happened here won't have happened the way it did."

"What did happen, anyway?" Ratchet asked, staring around at the energy field cages most of the Fongoids were trapped in.

Once the Fongoid got over the shock of Twilight's statement, he began his explanation. "Well, Dr. Nefarious arrived a little over two years ago, and tricked us into helping him build this outpost. Before we knew it, his troops were herding us into detainment camps! The gates are controlled by that guard tower up there." He glanced nervously between Ratchet and Twilight. "Before you start playing games with causality, do you think you could help us out in the now?"

Twilight glanced at the Guard Tower in question. "...anyone in there friendly?"

"No, just Nefarious' robots," the Fongoid replied.

"Aphelion?" Twilight called through the comms. "How big an etheric discharge can I risk without destabilizing the local temporal fields?"

"I would recommend not carrying out your current plan," Aphelion cautioned. "Given the proximity of the open Time Gate to the Guard Tower, obliterating the Tower with a magic discharge may flash back across the portal to destroy it two years ago as well, and that's likely where Nefarious and Orvus presently are in the past. The resulting paradox would likely obliterate Zanifar, and us."

Twilight ceased gathering her magic. "Time travel is such a headahce," she grumbled. "I can't even blow stuff up anymore!"

Shaking his head, Ratchet led the way towards the Guard Tower. The path was blocked at first, but a bit of cleverness involving the Omnisoaker and a tetramite nest cleared it. Making their way along the towers to the main controls was straightforward, as Twilight was able to swoop around them to deliver a bombardment from above, allowing Ratchet to sneak up behind the defenders while they were focused on Twilight. This allowed them to readily make their way into the main Tower, where they were able to shut down the containment grid, clearing the path to the Time Gate.

When the pair reached the Gate, they paused. "Are you ready for this Twilight?" Ratchet asked.

"Ready for what?" Twilight responded, a little confused.

"To leap through time," Ratchet replied. "To play with the fundamental nature of causality. To toy with the very fabric of space time in an attempt to undo events that have already occurred, and reshape history to our whims?"

Twilight paused. "Oh...wow. I hadn't really thought about it like that. When you put it that way...that's a lot of responsibility. My every action in the past is going to carry with it terrible consequences which could drastically alter everything we know. The slightest mistake could very well create a paradox that would wipe us from existence, and who knows what else!" She stared into the Gate. "...I don't think I'm ready for this..."

Ratchet knelt down beside her. "Twilight...I know it's a big responsibility-"

"I need bigger guns first!" Twilight proclaimed eagerly.

Ratchet chuckled. "I don't think there are any available, Twilight."

"Huh," Twilight replied thoughtfully. She then shrugged her shoulders. "Eh, I'll jury-rig something on the other side." With that said, she leapt through the Gate.

Laughing, Ratchet went through after her.

PreviousChapters Next