• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,918 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,918

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: City

As the transport reached Uzo City, communications with Aphelion opened up again. After Twilight stopped crying in relief, Aphelion spoke up about a discovery she'd made. "I was analyzing the data in Croid's lab...and some of it was a Cragmite children's story. It told the tale of the Loki of Torranux, evil spirits who sought the end of all living things. A Cragmite named Bagog crashed his ship there, and spent years in hiding before he could escape. Once he returned to Reepor, he destroyed the planet with a Class 3 Planet Smasher. I'm not entirely sure what significance this might have-"

"It actually explains everything," Twilight deduced. "The comet fragments we've been encountering must be pieces of Torranux, and the energy entities we suspect are inside the Creatures are the Loki. The only thing it doesn't explain is what their goal in all this is, and why they haven't done more."

"If they're energy beings, they probably need some way of stabilizing themselves so they don't lose cohesion," Nefarious pointed out. "Likely, Torranux had a unique planetary energy field that allowed them to do so naturally...but with the planet destroyed, the comet pieces don't have enough of a field to sustain them. They probably found they could use organic hosts to sustain themselves outside the actual chunks of their own planet."

"And that would explain everything," Alister concluded. "Even Ephemeris collecting powerful creatures. They want stronger hosts...and if they put that extraction device of Croid's in reverse..."

"They could force themselves into a creature and control it, either destroying or forcing out the native psyche!" Qwark gasped out in shock.

"T...that's what they want with me?" Twilight whimpered. "They want...to turn me into a host?" She shivered at the very idea.

"Don't worry, LSBFF!" Qwark proclaimed. "They'll get your body over my dead body!"

"If there's more than one, that's a distinct possibility," Alister grumbled out.

"Six minutes," Nefarious hissed back, calming Alister's concerns momentarily.

As the platform stopped, allowing the group to make their way across more platforms suspended in the air, the voice of the Stewart distracted them from their concerns. "Attention Minions. An unscheduled railway platform has just arrived from the polar sea. Be on the lookout for interlopers."

"So much for sneaking in," Qwark offered as they proceeded across the platforms forward along the only available path.

"You were heading to Vilerog Plateau, right?" Ratchet spoke up through the communicators. "We've got a visual on it. It's just outside Uzo City, on the opposite end of the ruins from where you entered."

"You have a visual?" Twilight asked, shocked.

"Yeah," Ratchet confirmed. "While we still can't get any closer to the planet yet, we have been able to move around the asteroid field. And if you're right about what's causing all the energy disturbances, we should be able to make it to the surface once you shut down Ephemeris."

"We can hope," Alister offered, moving to take point.

Shortly thereafter, a new device dropped from the sky, emitting a signal that summoned more Collector Minion robots. The Swarm Beacon was easily disabled as long as two of the group could get close to it with Vac U's, however. The next segment of the path proved fun, however, as it involved a series of bounce platforms and different types of Swing targets with no break between. This proved to be relaxing for the entire group, which they desperately needed.

While more robots continued to attack, the team tactics the group had developed continued to enable them to trounce the assaulting forces with ease. This left only the gadgets they needed to activate - or reactivate - to allow them to progress further through the city. A few Fongoids were scattered around, lamenting what the city had been like before it was destroyed. Unable to do anything for them, the group could only make their way forward.

After a time of more seemingly endless waves of attacking robots, they were confronted by another giant flamethrower wielding mech. It immediately made a wall of fire in front of itself before attacking them from behind it. As she evaded the attacks, Twilight watched it thoughtfully.

"Got a special plan?" Nefarious asked curiously.

"Actually, I'm trying to determine what method it uses to ignite its fuel supply," Twilight explained.

"Looks like it's a specific chemical interaction at the nozzle point," Nefarious explained before rattling off a few chemical formulae. "Why?"

Twilight grinned widely as her horn glowed. "Because if I know that..."

The entire mech exploded as its entire fuel tank ignited all at once.

"I love the smell of giant explosions in the morning!" Qwark proclaimed happily. "Or anytime, really," he added thoughtfully. "Except at dinner. Then I'd rather smell food."

"...you ruined it," Nefarious grumbled. "You had a cool line going, and you ruined it. Great job."

"Sorry," Qwark replied contritely. "It's been a while since I had a movie role, so I'm out of practice with sounding epic. For politics it's better to be more down to earth and sound relatable. It was really hard for me to learn that!"

"I'm surprised you managed to learn anything, you miserable incompetent oaf!" Nefarious snapped out.

"How about some new insults?" Qwark challenged playfully.

"Miserable moronic misogynistic misanthropic malcontent!" Nefarious quipped snidely.

"Nice alliteration," Twilight praised, leading to Nefarious bowing playfully while Alister rolled his eyes.

Qwark rubbed his chin with one hand as he counted on his fingers with the other. "Uh...what's that mean, exactly?"

PreviousChapters Next