• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 93

Chapter 93

I opened my eyes to the nightmare I would be going through tonight. I looked around and found myself in a dark forest. In the distance I could hear somepony walking. I began to walk towards the hoofsteps keeping to the shadow of the tree's. Quickly the hoofsteps began to speed up. Suddenly something blew past the tree I was standing next to.

"...Was that Scootaloo?" I asked myself as I watched the dust trail in front of me settle.

"It would appear that I am not the only pony taking an interest in these nightmares." I heard from behind me.

I spun around and saw Luna standing there. "...Honestly, I didn't exactly choose to come here." I responded. I could tell that the pony standing before me wasn't just a part of the dream. This was the real Luna.

"Even so, I believe that we may want to put an end to these bad dreams." Luna told me.

I nodded. "Yeah, That's probably for the best." I responded.

Luna's horn glowed and suddenly the two of us were standing on the edge of a step slope. At the bottom I saw Scootaloo cowering from the 'Headless Horse'. I made my way down the slope until I was behind the nightmare. I extended my front hoof and tapped him on the shoulder. The nightmare turned to face me, and I stood there for a second as a realization came over me.

"...Okay, I had planned on bucking him in the face when he turned around, but I just now realized that in order to do that he would need a face...I did not think this plan through." I said.

I heard a sigh from behind me and suddenly the Headless Horse glowed brightly and disappeared. "How is it that you're the one my sister and I turned to during a diplomatic emergency?" Luna asked as she landed next to me.

"Because in the end I get results." I responded.

"Shadow? Princess Luna?" Scootaloo asked as she stared at the two of us. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in Canterlot?" She asked looking at the princess.

"I am the princess of the night, thus it is my duty to come into your dreams." Luna answered.

"Oh, yeah." Scootaloo responded at first. "Wait, this is just a dream?" She asked looking around.

"Do you remember wandering into a forest randomly where creatures from scary stories are real?" I asked.

"Not exactly." Scootaloo responded.

"Then your dreaming, you shouldn't be scared of a dream." I told her.

"I guess." Scootaloo said. "...Wait, why are you here?" She asked me.

"Your guess is as good as mine. I just showed up." I told her.

"Anyways." Luna started, trying to get back on topic. "You are indeed asleep. While you dream you should not fear, but when you wake, the thing that frightens you most will still exist." Luna told her.

"Uh, the Headless Horse?" Scootaloo said with uncertainty.

"Is the Headless Horse really what frightens you the most?" Luna asked.

Scootaloo shook her head slightly. "No, I'm afraid Rainbow Dash will find out I'm not as tough as she thinks I am."

I chuckled slightly, getting her attention. "Well I'm afraid that Rainbow isn't as tough as you think she is." I told her with a smile.

Luna nodded. "Everypony has fears, Scootaloo. Everypony must face them in their own way. But they must be faced, or the nightmares will continue." Luna told her.

Suddenly the wind around us began to swirl and the land began to fade. "Time to go?" I asked turning to Luna.

She nodded and began to fly back up into the sky. A moment later I was back in the waking world. I took the time to look back over at Scootaloo who was sitting up in her bed. I listened in to what she was saying. "Ah, it was just a dream." I had a slight smile. Scootaloo suddenly gasped and jumped up. "But the Headless Horse isn't!" And smiles gone.

'Did she forget everything the Princess and I just said?'

Scootaloo wandered to the edge of the cave. I wasn't listening further but I was still watching her.

Suddenly I became aware of Rainbow's snoring. 'Why is it when she naps she's fine, but when she sleeps it's like a construction crew?' I thought to myself as I looked over to her. I turned my attention back to Scootaloo, 'and she's riding out of the cave on her scooter.'

I got up and walked over to Rainbow and shook her awake. "Huh, what? Is it morning?" She asked.

"No, Scootaloo just ran off into the woods. I think we need to go look for her." I told her.

"Scootaloo did what? Come on." Rainbow said flying off. I followed behind her. We flew around searching for signs of Scootaloo. "See anything?" Rainbow asked me.

I looked around and caught a bit of orange in the distance. "I think she's over here." I called back over my shoulder as I flew closer. I turned my head back around just in time to see the bit of orange fall off the edge of a gap. "And she's in the river!" I shouted.

"What?" Rainbow said as she flew next to me.

I pointed towards the river. "You're faster go!" I told her. Rainbow was off and I followed behind, not nearly at the speed she was going. I saw a bit of blue and orange come back over the edge. I let out a small sigh of relief as I descended down. As I approached the two I managed to hear part of their conversation.

"I was scared the first time I heard those stories too." Rainbow said as I landed behind her.

"You were?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well yeah, but I got over it pretty quick when I realized that if there was such a thing as the headless horse. I could've totally taken him." Rainbow told her.

I smiled at a golden opportunity as I walked up behind Rainbow. And when I was right behind her I leaned in and. "Boo!" I shouted in her ear causing her to shout and fly up into the sky.

Scootaloo sat staring at me as I laughed. I turned to her. "See, what did I tell you? Not as tough as you think she is." I told her with a chuckle.

"Hey!" Rainbow shouted down from the sky. "That was not cool!"

"But it was hilarious!" I responded. I yawned loudly. "Well, I'm tired. She's your responsibly now. Hope you can find your way back on your own." I told her.

"Can you?" She asked with a smirk.

"Please we're in the forest. This is my domain." I told her as I made my way back to camp. I arrived well before the two of them, and made my way back to my spot next to Skies. I fell asleep again before the two of them made it back.

When morning came both Rainbow and Scootaloo were back and sound asleep. Fairly soon everypony was up and we were on our way to our final destination. I was once again hooked to Rarity's cart, that I'm fairly certain she hadn't touched the entire trip.

However, When we did get to Winsome Falls the view made up for it. As we approached we all marveled at the landscape. After we stopped Sweetie Belle didn't waste any time declaring a 'sister race' causing everypony but Skies and I to break off into a run. I looked over to Skies and she looked back to me.

"...Yeah, we're not going to do that." She said.

"That's probably a pretty good idea since I'm not a sister." I responded.

Skies chuckled and the two of us went to the edge of the falls and enjoyed our time there in a bit more peaceful manner than the others.

PreviousChapters Next