• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,155 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,155

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I was once again sitting on Twilight’s couch. Most of the girls were either giving me an annoyed look but in Twilight’s case she was giving me a smug look, and she wasn't against reminding me that she saw through my plan.

“So now that we’re all back here. Shall we decide what to do next?” Twilight asked us.

“Can we just make it quick please? I just want to get home and go to sleep. I’m felling really tired.” I responded.

Twilight rolled her eyes at me. “Fine, first thing that we need to decide is where Starry Night will be staying.”

I gave her a blank stare. “Really, I think that’s a bit obvious.” I told her.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“Well obviously she should stay with Skies and me at our place. That way if the darkness tries to take control during the night I’ll sense it and be right there.” I answered.

Twilight had on a small worried expression and looked over at Rainbow.

When Rainbow noticed the look she started to look around confused. “What?” she asked.

“Well, I mean, are you okay with that?” Twilight asked.

“Sure, why wouldn’t I be?” Rainbow responded. “…Wait, you think that I’m going to be jealous and go all cuckoo just because he has another mare staying as a guest at his house for a very logical reason?”

Twilight got a little embarrassed. “No I don’t mean that it’s just that, I wasn’t really sure how you would react.”

“Twilight, I’m the element of loyalty, and I can tell that Shadow is about as loyal as they come. I’m not worried about it, especially considering that his reason for having her stay is a really good idea. I mean heck even I was surprised when you actually asked about it. I thought it would be obvious to everypony that she needed to stay with him.” Rainbow told Twilight. It also brought a smile to my face that Rainbow found me so trustworthy.

“So that’s decided. Can I go home and sleep now?” I asked.

“For the last time no. I’ll tell you when were done. There’s still a lot of things that need to be figured out.” Twilight answered and I gave a loud sigh. “So what do we tell the rest of the ponies?”

“Pardon?” I questioned.

“I mean the town’s gotten used to one alicorn walking through town, but I think they might be a bit more suspicious about a second one just randomly showing up.” Twilight answered me.

“Hmm, that is true. We can’t just tell them that she’s my twin sister because most of the town already knows that Skies is my only sister.” I said.

“Exactly so we need to come up with another story.” Twilight told all of us.

I thought for a moment. “Any chance we could convince them she’s another student of Celestia practicing magic?” I asked.

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t think so. Most of Equestria knows that I’m Celestia’s only student.”

I pondered for a second. I turned to Starry Night. “So do you have any ideas?” I asked, but she didn’t respond. She was kind of frozen in place. I then came to the realization. “Of course, she’s just now realizing she’s talking to some of Equestria’s greatest celebrities.”

The rest of the girls looked to Starry Night. “Why is it that every time we try to meet somepony new they always react like this?!” Twilight asked with a sigh. I just started to chuckle.

“Hey I didn’t react like that.” I said with a small grin.

“Really so at the party you didn’t get chocked up and be speechless for a second?” Twilight asked me with a small grin.

“Oh, you still remember that?” I responded.

“Trust me, I never forget.” Twilight said proudly.

“Really?” I asked with a devious grin. Twilight looked a bit worried when I spoke so I opened up my powers. “Let’s see, what about when you were twelve and you forgot your own birthday, and then there’s the next year where you forgot again, then two years later when you forgot the slides and examples for you presentation, and we can’t forget the most recent when you forgot to send Celestia your friendship report.” I said with a small smile.

“…..Let’s change the topic.” Twilight said turning away from me to which I got up off the couch and laughed, or at least I would have if my legs didn’t fall out from under me and made me fall and hit the floor. Once again a laugh was shared at my expense. I tried to get up and regain some of my composure, but I couldn’t. I tried to move my legs, but they weren’t responding to me. “Twilight I think I have a problem. I can’t move.”

Twilight looked confused. “What do you mean?” she asked.

“Exactly what I said. I can’t move, my legs aren’t responding to me. I’m-” I would’ve continued but something interrupted me. That something was Starry Night falling onto the floor as well. I saw it in her eyes she was scared. She couldn’t control her legs either. Something was definitely wrong, but I had no idea what. I felt the darkness stirring inside of me, he felt weak as well and I let my guard drop. My right vision went out again.

“What’s going on?” He asked I could hear the strain in his voice.

“You tell me. Only Starry Night and I are being affected so it has something to do with the darkness. You probably know more than I do.” I answered him.

“Well how am I supposed to know? I’m the same darkness that’s possessed countless before you, but this has never happened before, I don’t know how to react to this. There’s never been a second darkness I’ve had to deal with.” My darkness said. “…It can’t be.” He said before he receded quickly, even with him only in my mind I could feel him pondering many things.

I took a few deep breaths and tried my hardest to calm myself and gain control of my legs again, but to no avail. I gave a deep sigh. Rainbow and Skies came over to me and supported me as best they could. Applejack and Twilight did the same for Starry Night.

“So…Any chance I could convince you to let me go home and sleep now?” I asked Twilight jokingly to try and lighten the mood, and it might’ve worked to, if I hadn’t fainted right after I finished the question.

~~~Usual Blackout Length Later~~~

I opened my eyes slowly, but closed them soon after blocking out the light attacking my eyes.

“Shadow? Shadow are you okay?” I heard a voice ask me. I opened my eyes again and saw Rainbow sitting next to me.

“I think so.” I answered. “Where am I?”

“After you passed out, we took you to the hospital.” Rainbow answered.

I sighed. “By Celestia I must be on a first name basis with the staff here considering how often I’m in here.” I said jokingly.

Rainbow looked at me with a small smile. “Try to take this seriously.” She said to me.

I gave a small smile. “I’ll try.” I thought for a moment. “What about Starry Night? She fell too didn’t she?”

Rainbow nodded. “She’s fine. She woke up a few minutes before you did. Most of the girls are with her now asking her questions about what happened.

I looked at my side and saw Skies sleeping next to me. I looked back at Rainbow. “I’m glad you two stayed with me.”

Rainbow leaned down and kissed me. “I wouldn’t even think about leaving.”

I smiled. “So when do you think I’ll be able to get out of here?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Considering your repeat appearances here, I think the doctors are going to want to run some tests on you.” Rainbow told me jokingly. I gave her an amused stare. “Alright the doctors said they want you to stay overnight. Then you can leave in the morning.”

I smiled. “Will you take care of Skies for me tonight?” I asked.

“I won’t let her out of my sight.” Rainbow answered. “Although, I think she can probably take care of herself.”

I had a small smile, but it was a melancholy smile. “Yeah I know, but I just- I just want to try and make myself believe that she’s still my little sister that I’ve always taken care of.” I said reaching over and brushing Skies’ mane.

“She won’t always need you to protect her.” Rainbow told me.

“I know, I don’t think she needs me now. It’s just, she’s always been there for me when I needed help. I just want to be there for her.” I responded.

I felt a small pressure on my hoof to my side. Skies was sitting next to me smiling at me. “I told you. No matter how old I get. You’ll still be my big brother and I know you’ll always be there for me.” She said to me.

I smiled and brought up my hoof bringing her close to me. With my other hoof I reached around Rainbow and brought her into the embrace. Right now, life was going pretty good.

PreviousChapters Next