• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,161 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,161

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 107

Chapter 107

I slowly began to return to consciousness, I became aware of the loud beeping coming from my side. 'Well at least that's a familiar sound.'

'That's not really a good thing.' I heard from within me.

'So we're back together?' I asked.

'It would appear so. I can only assume Erebus isn't roaming about, but I think it's a pretty good guess to say he isn't.'

'What happened?' I asked.

'I don't know, I remember Erebus coming back, then pain, that's all I've got.'

'That sounds about right.' I thought. 'Do you know anything about Skies?' I asked hesitantly.

'I only regained consciousness when you did. I don't know anything.' The darkness answered.

'Then first things first, we go and find out.' I said.

'Indeed.'

I opened my eyes slowly making sure to not blind myself with the bright lights. Looking over I saw the heart monitor next to me. I reached over and turned it off, disconnecting it from my leg at the same time. I slid off the bed got my legs onto the ground. I began to take a few practice steps to make sure my legs would support me. They were sore and weak, but I could walk on them. I felt a stabbing pain in my chest and began to cough, I didn't cover my mouth with a hoof in fear of not being able to keep my balance. Looking at the ground I saw a few drops of blood on the floor. I sighed and used the bed as support as I wiped my mouth free of any remaining blood. I took a moment to look at a mirror in the room. My body looked weak, I could see a small outline of my ribs, and despite my attempts my legs had a slight unstable shake to them. I was running my hoof along my side feeling my ribs when my leg passed over my chest and I felt a patch of rough skin. Looking back at the mirror I managed to see three black scars on my chest. I sighed and began my slow walk to find somepony. I had some trouble with the door, but eventually got it open without falling to the floor. I looked around trying to figure out where I was exactly. It didn't take long, I was quite familiar with the castle's medical wing by now. I stepped into the hallway and started to shuffle my way down the hall using the wall for support every so often. I managed to make it out of the medical wing and into the main hall, the doors to the throne room were at the end of the hall. I began to walk towards them my body telling me the I was approaching my limit. 'Seems I'm in worse shape than I thought.'

'Yeah, the wounds seem to have collected.' The darkness responded.

'I just hope that it worked, with this amount of damage it had to, right?' I said.

'I hope so.'

As I got close to the doors I saw two guards standing to the side of the doors. It took them a moment, but as I got closer they apparently recognized me. It would appear that my appearance was enough to break their stoic façade, their eyes widened as I approached weakly, probably surprised I was still moving in my condition. As I got closer to the doors they seemed to realize what I was doing. Their horns glowed as a magic aura enveloped the doors, the doors opened slowly and were fully open by the time I was standing in the doorway. I looked into the throne room and saw a good number of ponies standing inside. All of us remained motionless for a short time staring at each other. Then my body erupted in pain as I was tackled to the floor. My chest burned as my scars were pushed, and my back and wings stung as they impacted the floor. Despite all the pain, all I could do was smile.

Two legs wrapped around my neck and held me tight. "Brother."

I reached my own legs up. "Hey Skies." I said wrapping my legs around her, my smile growing.

The two of us stayed like that for I don't know how long, happily enjoying that the other was with us.

Then I groaned in pain and turned my head away as I coughed up a few more drops of blood onto the floor.

"Brother!" Skies said panicking slightly as she got off of me. "I-I'm sorry I-"

"It's fine." I told her smiling again as I stood up, I managed to stay on my feet with some help from Skies. I looked back into the room.

I saw Luna and the girls standing there. They were all looking at me smiling, but they all looked worried as well. I looked over at Skies who also had the same expression. I also notice the slight scar on her chest, it was similar to the three I possessed, but hers was a more natural color than mine. I turned back to the others. "So...how is everypony?" I asked.

Rainbow was the first to respond. She walked up in front of me, a small smile on her face. She reached up one leg and embraced me, being careful to not put too much pressure in it. I would've returned it, but I needed all my legs on the ground to keep my balance. "You know, I should be mad at you for making me worry about you again."

"I heard should. That means you aren't, right?" I asked.

Rainbow broke the hug and smiled a bit more. "Well, you're definitely still you." She said.

I smiled, but grimaced slightly as my leg's pain started to spike. "I hope you don't mind, but could we go somewhere I can lay down?" I asked.

"There are a few sitting rooms not far from here." Luna said approaching.

I nodded. Luna walked off down one of the side hallways. Everypony followed behind with me getting help from Rainbow and Skies. We managed to get to the room pretty quickly. I let out a sigh of relief as I laid down and let my legs get a break.

I lifted up one of my legs and looked at it in its weakened state. "How long was I out?" I asked.

Everypony was silent for a moment. "One week." Luna told me.

I looked up with some surprise. "A full week? No wonder I feel so terrible." I said.

"Shadow..." Luna said getting my attention. "What did...what exactly did Erebus do?" She asked.

"We made a balance." I told her.

"A balance?" Luna said confused.

I nodded. "That's right we used the-" My thought was interrupted as I realized something. "-The coin, where's the coin?" I asked.

"The coin?" Luna said thinking for a moment. "I believe that Tia took it, I don't know anything beyond that." She told me.

I sighed. "As I was saying, we used our elements to-"

"Wait. Elements?" Luna asked.

I nodded. "It would appear that the Elements of Harmony aren't the only magic set of artifacts of there." I responded. "Those six, they claimed to posses the Elements of Disharmony." I added on.

"Disharmony." Luna muttered under her breath and then she looked at me. "But you said something about your elements...do you posses another set?" She asked.

I nodded. "Erebus, the Darkness, and I. Between us we posses the three elements that make up the Elements of Equilibrium. I posses the light side, the Darkness has the dark side, and Erebus has balance." I told her.

Rainbow was looking at me confused. "Before, you said you didn't know what set the elements even were. How do you know now?" She asked.

"You knew about these elements?" Twilight asked Rainbow.

"No...well a little." Rainbow said. "In the cave Shadow said something about having an element. I didn't really know what he meant until now." She explained. "So...how do you know now?" Rainbow asked me again.

I thought for a moment. "When our elements are active we posses different bodies, but our minds still have a sort of connection. When Erebus left the cave he found out on his own. How he found out I still don't know, but I do know when he returned he knew about the elements. The idea of Equilibrium, creating a balance, it's where we came up with the idea of balancing our wounds with Skies'. The four of us each taking on a quarter of our collective wounds. Making the wound Skies had only a quarter of what it had been." I looked down at the three scars on my chest. "That said it seems that the body the three of us share still has the wounds the three of us sustained separately." Everypony in the room was looking at me with an amazed expression.

"Unbelievable." Luna said. She looked away nervously for a moment. "And you don't have any idea how Erebus found out?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No, Why?"

"Well, as Tia told me, she listened to your request and healed Skies first, apparently it was quite simple in the wounds lessened state. She tried to heal you afterwards, but was too weak to fix you fully. She did manage to keep you from dying though and brought you to the castle. We were going to the medical wing daily for around two days to help dispel the magic further and heal you. Then one day Tia didn't come, most of the work was done so I was able to do well on my own. I went to speak with her after, but she wouldn't leave her room. When I asked her why she didn't come to help you, she said she wasn't feeling up to it. The way she spoke I could tell she was sad about something, but...I could tell she was angry as well. I'm worried about what Erebus may have done." Luna told me.

I thought back. "He did say something slightly worrisome to her before we used the elements, but he's the only one that knows. I can tell you now though, I am not going to be able to bring him out anytime soon though. My mind can't go through anymore tearing right now." I told her. "But if it has affected Celestia this much. I'm worried about what he might've done as well. Maybe if I-"

I was suddenly interrupted as the door to the room opened suddenly. Everypony turned and looked towards the door. In the doorway was Celestia her eyes focused on me. "The guards told me you had awoken." She said. Her voice calm, but I could tell there was anger in her words. Whatever Erebus did, she is upset about it.

I cowered back a little. "I'm in trouble aren't I?"

PreviousChapters Next