• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 94

Chapter 94

After Luna and I's talk with Scootaloo the trip back from the falls was much less eventful. No more nightmares for Scootaloo, I resumed having nightmares of ponies I didn't know, and my back is killing me because Rarity didn't even consider caring her own things.

I sighed as I was laying on my couch in my home, Skies sitting next to me and trying to help the pain in my back.

"You should've just told her to carry her own stuff." Skies told me.

"That would've been rude, and if there's anything I don't want it's Rarity whining to me about being rude." I said to her.

"I think you mean complaining." Skies responded smirking.

I chuckled as she said Rarity's little quote. I had managed to get that line said to me before, and it was not enjoyable.

I slid myself up into a sitting position stretching out my back as I did so. "Well at least it doesn't really hurt anymore." I said sighing.

"So what now?" Skies asked.

I thought for a moment. "Well our last vacation was cut short." I said. I closed my eyes and shuddered slightly, remembering.

"Well we just went camping." Skies said.

"We could go try to catch Yearling. It would certainly be more exciting than going on a simple camping trip." I told her.

"That reminds me, are you ever going to tell Rainbow Dash about that?" She asked me.

I rolled my eyes. "Please, I already hid the fact that I knew the Wonderbolts before. How do you think she'd react if I told her I knew Yearling. Also, Yearling trusts us with her secret, if we told anypony it'd probably be revealed." I answered.

"I suppose." Skies said thinking. "I guess it'd be a good distraction." She said.

"Then go get your adventure pack." I told her as she began to make her way up the stairs. "And don't forget to bring the rope this time!" I called up.

"I got it, I got it!" She yelled back down.

I made my way over to the closet and pulled out a large saddle bag from inside. I began to unpack it's contents to make sure everything inside was in working condition and didn't need replacing.

I heard a knocking at the front door. "Come in!" I called toward the door.

It opened and in walked Twilight and Rainbow. "Hey Shadow...what are you doing?" Twilight asked.

"Examining my gear." I answered.

"Examining gear, why?" Rainbow asked.

"Skies and I are about to head out on a little trip." I answered.

"A trip, you just went camping with us didn't you?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah, but this is more than just camping." I told her taking out a grappling hook from the bag. I tapped it with my hoof testing it's sharpness. "Hmm, Hey Skies could you grab the mini-whetstone from the closet? My hook's a bit dull!" I called upstairs.

"Sure!" Was the response I got.

"What the heck are you going to need that for?" Twilight asked with some concern.

"Well it's a useful tool with multiple uses." I told her.

"I don't know where you're going, but it sounds dangerous." Rainbow said.

"Possibly, it's called exploring because you don't know what's there." I told her. "It shouldn't be a problem, we're trying to meet up with a friend who's a professional at this." I added on.

"Well then take me with you. Strength in numbers." Rainbow responded.

I grimaced slightly. "I'm afraid I can't really do that."

"And why not?" Rainbow asked with some annoyance.

"Our friend doesn't really like meeting new ponies. In fact she's practically completely against the idea." I answered.

Rainbow let out a deep sigh of annoyance and crossed her hooves. "How long are you going to be gone?" She asked.

"Not a clue." I told her. "If we don't manage to meet up we'll be back pretty soon. If we do...Could be short could be long. Depends on where we go." I told her as Skies began to come down the stairs. As I saw her I levitated the whetstone over to the table and began sharpening the hook.

"I can't believe you're doing this." Rainbow said.

I chuckled. "If you don't believe this you should hear some of the other stuff Skies and I have done." I told her. My attitude suddenly shifted. "But I need you to listen closely to this." I told the two of them.

They looked surprised for a moment with my sudden change of demeanor, but nodded their heads.

"While I'm gone, I won't be able to contact you, and I have to ask that you don't try to contact me either." I said to them.

"What?!" Twilight asked.

"You expect us to just let you wander off into the unknown without even having the ability to check up on you?" Rainbow said.

"Listen, It can be dangerous out there. The simplest mistake could be terribly detrimental. All I'm asking is for you to trust me enough to be able to come back on my own." I explained to them.

Twilight and Rainbow were silent. Rainbow bent down and brought me into an embrace. "I do trust you Shadow, but...it's just that we all worry about you." She told me.

I smiled and wrapped a hoof around her. "I know you do, but I've handled much worse than this." I said to her.

Rainbow broke away from the embrace. "I want you to promise me that you'll come back." She said to me staring at me in the eyes.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, Stick a cupcake in my eye." I responded.

Rainbow smiled and sat down next to me. "When are you leaving?"

"Today if we can." I said getting a nod from Skies.

"And you don't know where you're going?" Twilight asked.

"Nope." I answered, sliding the whetstone over to Skies.

"What if something serious happens?" Twilight asked.

"On my side or yours?" I responded.

"Both." Twilight answered.

I thought for a moment. "If it's serious enough that Equestria might be destroyed if I'm not there I'd allow you to send that message. I'll get back as soon as I can. If something happens on my end, I'll find a way to contact you." I told her.

She realized that she probably wasn't going to get anymore than that and let the topic go. Skies finished sharpening her hook and put it into her pack.

"All packed?" I asked. Skies nodded. The two of us stood up. "Well, I guess we'll be heading out now." I said to Rainbow and Twilight. "Hope you're okay saying good-bye to the other girls for us. We probably want to go as soon as possible." I told them.

"Sure, we can do that." Rainbow said to me.

I nodded as we walked out of the house. Skies and I sporting our packs. The two of us floated off the ground and hovered over the land slightly. "Well we're off." I said turning away. After a moment I turned back around. "And could you tell Pinkie to prepare some cupcakes for our return. I don't know how but she'll probably know when we're about to get back." I said to the two of them.

Rainbow smiled and nodded. I returned the smile and flew down and gave her a quick kiss. "Love you."

"Love you too, now get going before I change my mind and try to follow you." She told me.

I chuckled. "Alright, alright, I'm going." I said turning back around. "Be good, and be safe." I told them as Skies and I took off towards the forest. I took out a compass from on of my pack's pockets. I pointed Northeast and Skies and I changed direction.

"Do you think we'll actually manage to meet up with Yearling?" Skies asked.

"Her next book is due in a month. Means she probably she's probably finished getting the story and is just finishing the writing part. She'll probably be resting, so I think there's a good chance." I answered.

"Think she'll try to attack us on sight again?" Skies asked.

"Nah, I think she's gotten over that." I answered. "...Hopefully."

PreviousChapters Next