• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I was walking through the trees. I wasn’t exactly sure where I was or how long I had been in the forest. I had just been walking around for as long as I could and then when the darkness tried to take over I would fight him. Most times the darkness would win and then my vision would go. I would continue to fight back until I had control again. I could tell the darkness was moving because when I came back I was in a different place then when he took over. I didn’t know where he was taking me to, so whenever I came back I would go in any direction but the direction he had been going. Time started to fade away from me. If I wasn’t walking I was fighting for control, and as far as I could tell the darkness was eating something because I never got hungry. I didn’t know what he was eating, and personally I didn’t really want to know. I just kept on moving. I didn’t know where I was or how long I had been out here. I couldn’t even tell if it was night or day because the trees were so dense, but all I cared about was fighting the darkness. I turned a around a tree and felt the darkness start to rise up. I tried to fight him but he took control and my vision went. I continued to fight back trying to take control, but it took a long time before I was able to repress him. When I came to I saw a light. I was at the edge of the forest. The darkness had almost gotten out of the forest. I turned around quickly getting ready to run, but something stopped me. It was a scream. Just over the hill to my right.

“Ignore it, get away.” I said to myself. “If you try to help you’ll just cause more pain” and I turned to walk away…but I couldn’t. Try as hard as I might I couldn’t just leave. I turned around quickly and started up the hill in the direction of the scream. I reached the top of the hill and looked over. What I saw froze me. I saw three fillies being surrounded by timberwolves. What froze me though was the big red bow that one of the fillies was wearing. I would’ve been blind if I hadn’t seen that bow before, and I quickly realized where in the forest I was. I was just outside Ponyville… ‘Of all the places, why here?’ I thought to myself, but the growl of a timberwolf brought me back. I saw that they had spotted me and were pushing the fillies closer to me. The three fillies were backing up towards me, they hadn’t seen me yet. Then I felt it, the darkness was coming out again. I tried to fight it, but he kept pushing. He hadn’t been able to spread fear in a while and he wanted to make up for lost time. I couldn’t contain him and he took control. The timberwolves saw me and looked into my eyes. They whimpered and backed away scared. I was familiar with not being dragged into their minds, for some reason the less sentient a creature is the less I actually see their fear, but the timberwolves saw it very clearly. They turned and ran away into the forest, their tail between their legs. The three fillies were at the bottom of the hill. Needless to say they were quite confused. They started to look around to find what made the timberwolves flee. I tried to take control back. I tried to get away before they saw me, but I couldn’t. The three fillies finally turned around and looked up to me. Time seemed to slow down. I felt it before they did. The magic of fear was seeping towards them planning on using their eyes as a window into their soul. If I was in control of my body, I would most certainly be crying. I had tried to protect them by leaving, but apparently nothing I did had really helped. I knew that as soon as the darkness showed these fillies their worst fear, he would turn his full attention to the rest of the town. I didn’t want him to do that…’No, I wouldn’t let him do that!’ I thought to myself. I may not be able to control my own body, but I knew what I could control. This time I opened my mind to the world and found all the fears around me. I felt the darkness that was seeping towards the fillies, and I demanded control from it. The magic that would spread the fear stopped before it reached the three fillies and then it started to come back to my body. The darkness was confused, he had never faced opposition when spreading the fear before, but now I was fighting back. He tried to overpower me and push the fear back towards the fillies, but he was fighting an uphill battle. It was easier for me to hold the fear in place than it was for him to try and push it towards the fillies. When he realized he was losing he tried to push the fear with all of his strength, but I held it back. The darkness started to weaken expending his energy to try and make the fillies feel their fear. He was at his limit, I had the advantage. I turned my attention on my body and started to fight the darkness for control, and I won this time. He was weak from expending all his energy and I had more strength than he did. This time, I was the one who was taking control. I felt myself breathing heavy and I tried to take a deep breath, and my body listened to me. I had beaten the darkness, I had taken control again. I didn’t have time to celebrate my victory though because my body fell to the ground unconscious.

~~~One Blackout Later~~~

I stirred and brought up my hoof to block out the light that was searing into my eyes. I took a pillow from the couch I was on and used it to block out the light…Wait, couch? I sat up suddenly looking around to find where I was. Last I remembered I was in the forest with the timberwolves. It took me just a moment of recognize where I was. It was my house, the house that Skies and I had bought when we first decided to stay in Ponyville. I quickly got off of the couch and started towards the door. As I did something caught my eye, and it broke my heart to see it. It was Skies, she was sitting on the chair across from the couch. She was asleep, and I could see the tear marks that stained her fur. I came back and took a blanket off of the couch and draped it over her. After I did I turned back and opened the door and started to walk out. As I did I heard the small gasp behind me, and I opened my wings and took off quickly.

I had been flying carefully through Ponyville’s alleyways. As I neared the Everfree forest I closed my wings and walked up to the entrance. I enter the dark forest and looked around. I saw the small hill that I had been standing on before. I walked up to the top of the hill. This was the first place I had beaten the darkness. I let a smile show on my face as I thought back. I had beaten the darkness, I had saved my friends, I had proven to myself that I could control the darkness, in a sense. I felt the darkness start to stir, but not in the way that he had while we were in the forest. He wanted to talk.

I let the darkness through to me, and soon my right eye went dark and I could see nothing out of it. “It would seem that you have found a way to provide a challenge to me.” I heard the darkness say through my mouth.

“It would seem so.” I responded. “I guess that this means that you’re going to try harder?” I asked him.

The darkness gave a small chuckle. “Yes that is my intention.” He answered.

“You know that you’ll always be fighting an uphill battle?” I told him.

“Yes, I am well aware.” The darkness said. “But I will find a way to overpower you despite the handicap.”

“And you should know that I will always find a way to beat you.” I responded to him.

“Of course you will we are one and the same. We will always be fighting each other.” The darkness told me. I felt him start to slip away as he relinquished control over my right side back to me.

“You’re right, but I will always have something that will give me a reason to win.” I said to him before he had completely gone. “I’ll always have a reason to fight.” I finished as he finally disappeared from my body and as he did so I saw the small group of ponies run through the entrance to the forest and start to look around. I smiled: they were my reason to fight.

PreviousChapters Next