• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,156 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,156

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 90

Chapter 90

I turned around and saw Celestia and Luna looking at me intensely. "What is this about our mother?" Celestia asked.

I laughed and started trotting around in a circle. "The mirror, it's power, the lack of information. It's all starting to come together." I said happily.

"Shadow!" Luna said forcefully. "Tell us what our mother has to do with this."

"She made the mirror!" I answered with excitement.

"She...she did?" Celestia asked.

"Well...maybe. I don't have exact evidence, but with this many references to her contained on the mirror she has to have something to do with it. And with that much power I wouldn't be surprised if she made it." I said as I flipped through my notes again.

"References to her on the mirror?" Luna asked.

"But we've studied the mirror and didn't see anything of the sort." Celestia added on.

I smiled. "That's because you were focusing too much on the mirror's power, and not on the mirror itself." I told them. "You've seen the design along the back of the mirror?" I asked.

"Yes of course." Luna answered.

"Wrong!" I declared. "You did not, that wasn't a design. They were words." I told them.

"What?" Celestia responded.

"Ancient Draconic to be specific." I explained. The stared at me. "...What? The darkness has possessed a lot of others before me. One was a dragon and I was interested. I learned the ancient draconic language...well written, don't have the vocal cords to speak it."

"...I don't know what's worse that fact that you speak so casually about that, or the fact that it's not even that surprising anymore." Luna said shaking her head.

"Anyways as I was saying before. That was the ancient draconic language. It made mention of Gaia multiple times." I said to them. "You got anything?"

"Pardon?" Celestia asked.

"Sorry, too excited to differentiate between speaking and thoughts. Talking to darkness." I told them.

'Not really, it's a long ways back. It's not easy to look that far.'

'Well keep looking.'

'Just remember I'm not doing for you. I want to find this out for myself.'

'Yeah, yeah, just keep looking.' I told him.

I began to look at my notes again. "The answer's here somewhere." I said to myself.

"Shadow!" Twilight shouted bringing me out of my daze.

"Huh, oh sorry, distracted." I said glancing at my notes again.

"Shadow, you've looked at those notes five times now and nothings changed. If what you're looking for was there I'm sure you would've found it. I think you just need to take a break." Twilight told me.

"But I-" My notes were suddenly encased in a bright purple flash and were gone. "My notes."

"Shadow just relax." Rainbow said coming and standing next to me. "The notes will be there. Right now, you need to relax."

"I just want to know." I told her.

"You have that look again." She said to me.

"Look?" I asked.

"The same look you had before you went into the library and didn't come out for days. If you think I'm going to let you act on that again you're mistaken." She responded.

I was silent for a moment before I sighed. "You're right, you're right" I took a deep breath to calm myself. "We don't need a repeat of that again."

'Don't think this means you get to stop searching.'

'Please I hardly ever listen to you. Why would I listen to her?' The darkness told me.

'Well that's just rude.'

'Have you met me?'

'Wish I hadn't.'

I turned to the princesses. "So unless you have anything else for us, I suppose we should be on the next train back to Ponyville."

"We do not have anything at the moment, so unless you have anymore of our rules you wish to break-" Luna started.

"It was only one time." I said.

"And one of our best kept secrets." Luna countered.

"If your defense for one of your best kept secrets is a locked storage door I am slightly disappointed." I responded.

"Shadow, just get to the train station before we decide that banishing you would be more efficient than arguing." Celestia said shaking her head.

"Eh, I've planned for banishment already." I told her. Celestia's horn began to glow slightly. "Fine, fine, I'm going. See you again when the opening day comes. Possibly before." I said as I turned towards the main gates with a smile that the princesses returned.

Twilight, Rainbow, and Skies following behind me, until they realized what was happening and Twilight took the lead. We made our way towards the train station. "So what are we supposed to do until the opening?" I asked.

"Well, Rarity, AJ, and I have a small camping trip planed for us and the Crusaders. You could come along, I'm sure that Scoots and them would be happy to have Skies come along." Rainbow told me.

"Would Rarity and AJ be okay with me coming along?" I asked.

"Sure, why wouldn't they?" Rainbow answered.

"That sound good to you Skies?" I asked as my sister walked up next to me.

"Sure, it'll be like old times again." She said with a small smile.

I returned the smile. "Alright then, I guess we've got a plan then. You still got your bags pack?" I asked.

"Of course." Skies answered.

"Alright then, just give us a heads up when you're leaving, we're ready to go whenever." I told Rainbow.

"Great, now to get back to Ponyville and take a nice long nap on a cloud." Rainbow said as she hovered along beside us.

"You have a one track mind." I said with a chuckle.

"Well it's a good track." She told me.

"Touché" I responded.

"Still have no idea what that means." Rainbow said.

I chuckled. "Maybe you should look it up."

"And give up some of the time I use for napping, never." She told me.

We shared a laugh as we approached the train station. We got our tickets and got on the train only needing to wait a minute or two before it left. On the way back we talked a little before Rainbow and Skies decided to fall asleep, using each other as support. The rest of the trip was talking theories between Twilight and me. I could tell she was purposely avoiding multiverse theory though. In the end we talked mainly about magic and the such. Discussing some of the work of Star-swirl. We got into a rather heated debate about his theory's about time manipulation. Twilight won that argument, how was I supposed to know she actually used his time manipulation spell?

Our conversation lasted us until we got back to Ponyville. When we arrived at the station the others were already waiting for us. I was surprised for a moment. Before turning to Pinkie. "Pinkie Sense?" I asked.

"Nope, Rarity." Pinkie responded.

I turned to face Rarity with some surprise. "Oh don't act like that, I do have my own connections to the nobility. I made sure that I had somepony willing to inform me when the diplomat that was sent to the Griffin Empire returned." She said with a smile.

"So ya' gotta tell us. What happened up there?" Applejack asked.

I smiled. "Well then, do I have a story for you." I responded.

"Ooh, story time." Pinkie said happily, as she pulled out a bucket of Popcorn from her mane.

"...Aw screw it." I said reaching over and taking a few pieces and tossing them in my mouth. "It goes like this-"

PreviousChapters Next