• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39

Chapter 39

I brought up my guard quickly and pushed Starry Night, or at least her body, away from me. I turned my head and looked at the girls.

“Twilight I need you to teleport everypony out of here. Go to Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack should be there by now.” I told her.

“But what about you?” Twilight asked.

“I’ll be fine just go.” I responded.

“But-”

“GO!” I shouted. With a short nod Twilight and the rest of the girls were gone in a flash leaving only two of us in the room.

Starry’s dark side began to laugh. “You know your relationship to them will be your greatest weakness.”

“That’s fine with me. Having a weakness means I’m still a pony and not some evil spirit like you.” I told her. I began to open my mind and I started grabbing at the fear inside of her hoping I would be able to stop her like I did before, but every time I tried to grab it the fear moved away.

“Sorry that’s not going to work this time.” Starry’s darkness said to me with a chuckle. “I’ve learned your tricks and now there’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

“Maybe not me, but can books?” I asked with a grin.

“What does that even-” she started but was cut off as a large bookshelf fell on top of her. My horn’s glow went away and I walked over to the shelf.

“Starry, Starry are you okay? Are you, well, you?” I asked under the bookcase hoping I hadn’t severely hurt the mare under it.

“Not really” I heard from behind me. I felt a hoof connect with the back of my head, and the front of my head slammed into the downed bookshelf. Dazed and on the floor I managed to turn my head to look behind me. “You’re not the only one with magic you know.” She said teleporting close to me.

“Maybe not the only pony, but I’m still pretty damn good at it.” I responded using my magic to grab her tail and send her flying into a wall. I quickly stood back up and began to regain my full senses. Starry was always a unicorn so she knows how to use her magic effectively, but she didn’t always have wings. I’m going to have to use that to my advantage. I looked up and saw the window in the house and I flew up to it and used it to leave the library. As I was flying I turned my head and saw Starry flying after me. I was right about her being unused to flying, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t managing to keep up with me. ‘In open air flying isn’t that difficult. I need to find a place with a lot of twists and turns so I can keep her off of me.’ My attention was drawn quickly to the Everfree forest ‘That’ll do it’ I took a quick turn and started towards the forest. As I predicted Starry had to take a wide turn to follow me and wasted a good amount of time doing so. As soon as I entered the forest it was a never-ending cycle of slight alterations of my wings so that I didn’t slam head first into the trees. Behind me I heard Starry enter the forest, the constant ruffling of leaves behind me told me she wasn’t doing as good as I was, but she was most definitely still behind me. I opened my wings wide and slowed myself down to a stop. Starry flew past me at fast speed, and I moved quickly behind one of the trees using my black coat to blend in with the shadows. I heard Starry stop and turn around, coming back to find me.

“Come on out, I promise I’ll make it quick. You won’t feel a thing.” I heard her say from a little ways off. Not really the thing to say if you want me to come out.

I looked up and saw a small hole in the line of leaves above my head. If I was careful I could fly through the leaves without making a sound. I slowly started to beat my wings and rise towards the tree tops. I maneuvered myself up and into the small hole in the leaf line, just in time too. I looked down and saw Starry walking around the tree I had just been hiding behind. ‘As long as she doesn’t look up she won’t see me’ and as soon as I thought this she, of course, looked up. “Uh oh.”

“Uh oh, indeed.” She responded spreading her wings. I quickly started to speed up and got above the tree line. As soon as I was free of the leaves I made a beeline towards the mountains. I thought maybe I could lose her in the valleys and crevasses.

After a short flight with Starry hot on my tail the bundle of trees underneath me disappeared and was replaced by hard rock and boulders. At the first valley I saw I dived right in and started taking the sharp turns. Starry followed behind having to slow down to avoid some of the debris. I looked behind me to see where she was, but when I turned back around I saw the sharp rock inches from my face. With a quick beat of my wings I diverted myself enough so that I wasn’t impaled on the rock, but I didn’t get out unscathed. My cheek was given a long cut from front to back. I let out a short cry of pain and flew up out of the valley a small line of blood following behind me. I lifted my hoof to the left side of my face to try and stop the bleeding. Once out of the valley I flew over to the side of the mountain and started to put more pressure on my wound.

“Oh, tiring out so soon?” I heard behind me. I turned around and saw Starry standing there.

“Me tired? No I just wanted to give you a chance to catch up.” I told her with a slight smile. I winced as I realized with the cut on my cheek in became painful to smile.

“Ha, are you going to let a cut like that stop you?” Starry asked.

“Stop me no, but resting, resting is different entirely.” I answered.

“Well now I just need to- AAHHH!” Starry shouted into the air. Her mane and tail slowly started to fall, but they still floated slightly.

“Starry, is that you?” I asked.

After a short pause the mare looked up. “Yeah, it’s me.” She answered me. Her voice was strained, but it was definitely her. I let out a sigh of relief.

“Good then that means we can go back.” I said relaxing my body.

“…No.” she responded.

“What do you mean no?” I asked.

“I still don’t have control. I’m just barely hanging onto myself as is. I don’t know when I’ll turn again. I can’t go back! If I go back I’ll just turn and try to kill you again, and even if I don’t in only a few days we’re both going to die!” She shouted at me.

“I already told you neither of us is going to die! We’re going to find another way!” I told her.

She simple shook her head. “You say that, but do you believe it?” She asked me. “I heard you talking with Applejack. I know that you already thought about killing yourself so I could survive. If you really believed that there was another way, why would you consider that?”

I cringed, she knew what I had already been thinking. “…I may not be one hundred percent positive that there’s another way, but I’ll be damned if I just give up on that option. We can still find a way.” I answered her.

She simple shook her head. “Maybe if we had more time, but with the few days we have we can’t save both of us.” She said taking a small step back. That was when I noticed the cliff that was behind her. It was a straight drop down at least five hundred feet.

“Starry, don’t you dare.” I told her forcefully.

“Shadow, I have to. It’s either you or me, and I don’t think I can live like this. You know how to control your darkness and how to suppress the fears, I don’t. I can’t live with this pain, it’s too much for me.” She responded taking another step towards the cliff. She now only had three legs still on the ground her last foot was hovering in the air above the cliff.

“Starry please no, don’t do it.” I pleaded with tears starting to form in my eyes.

“I’m sorry Shadow. I’ve been meaning to thank you. I need to thank you for helping me, I need to thank you for choosing to be there for me, and I need to thank you for being my friend.” She told me starting to lean back. “Thank you.” She said as the rest of her body started to fall off the cliff.

“NO!” I shouted. Using one hoof to keep pressure on my face I used the other three to hobble over to the side of the cliff. I looked over the side right as the loud crunch reached my ears. As soon as I heard it I felt like a burden was lifted from me and my full strength came back to me. However the puddle of red with one black spot at the bottom of the cliff told me where my strength had come from. Only one darkness existed again and now he had his full power again, but knowing where the strength came from, just made me feel weak.

PreviousChapters Next