• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 108

Chapter 108

"Indeed you are." Celestia said.

I gulped. "I would like to remind you that Erebus did ask to not banish us. I hope you remember."

"Yes I do remember, and at the time I didn't know why." She said. "Now I'm considering it."

"Could I at least know why I might get banished?" I asked.

Celestia looked at me surprised. "You...don't know?" She said.

I shook my head. "I only know what Erebus knew when he came back to the cave. I don't know what he did while he was away." I told her. She looked at me with some confusion about what to do. "So...what did he do?" I asked.

Celestia looked away for a moment. "...I...don't really want to say in front of everypony."

"Did...is somepony hurt because of me?" I asked worried.

Celestia looked back at me quickly. "No! no, nothing like that. It...it really only affects me." She said.

I thought for a moment. "Did he steal something?" I asked. Celestia shook her head. "Did he use a forbidden spell?" Another shake. "Did he break something valuable?" Celestia froze. "So that's it?...What did he break?" I said with some worry.

'I hope he didn't break something too valuable. She really seems like she might banish us.'

'An ancient artifact maybe.'

'...Please don't be the mirror.'

'You are obsessed with that thing.'

'For good reason, it's amazing.'

"If you wouldn't mind, I would like to discuss that privately." Celestia told me.

I gulped. "Okay." I said as I tried to stand up. My legs fell out from under me as I got halfway to standing and fell to the floor. I groaned. "I hope you don't mind, but I think it would be easier for me to stay here." I said to the others. They nodded and stood up walking out of the room, leaving Celestia and me the only ones in the room.

Celestia was looking down at me with a worried expression. "Are you really that injured?" She asked.

I just chuckled. "Yeah, having a few holes in you will do that." I joked looked down at my scarred chest.

"...I'm sorry." Celestia said to me.

"For what? You kept me alive, and saved Skies. There is nothing you should apologize for." I told her.

"If I had done more maybe neither of you would've been put in a position where you needed saving." She said to me.

I took a deep breath. "Who can say? What's done is done. Trying to ask yourself what could've happened is pointless, and considering that this is much better than either prophecy I had I don't think asking is all that necessary.”

Celestia sighed. “You are quite carefree, especially considering the circumstances, you know that right?”

I chuckled. “Maybe I am, Maybe I’m not….So about trying to get myself not banished, how’s that going right now?”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “You still don’t even know what Erebus did?”

"It wasn’t too bad was it?” I asked.

"Well...it’s certainly not as terrible as Erebus made it seem.” Celestia said. I let out a sigh of relief. “That doesn’t mean I’m not angry.” She added on causing me to flinch slightly, then groaned as my body felt the pain from the sudden movement.

I clutched my chest. I saw Celestia looking at me with a hint of sadness. “It’s really not as bad as it looks.” I told her. I started to cough after I had spoken. A few flecks of blood landing on the floor in front of me. “…I’m not being very convincing am I?” I asked.

“No, you’re really not.” Celestia told me.

I looked down at the three scars on my chest. ‘Three of these is a bit much.’

'Based on what we’ve learned we could spread them out a little.’

‘But for that we’d need-‘ I was cut off as I felt my attention drawn towards Celestia.

“…You wouldn’t happen to have that coin on you would you?” I asked.

Celestia looked at me with a little surprise. “Actually yes I do. After the incident in the cave, you turned back into you and the coin was resting next to you. I’ve been trying to learn all I can about it since. I’ve never really had it off of me since.” She said as she levitated the coin out from behind her.

I reached out with my magic and took the coin from her. I levitated the coin next to me and took it in my hoof.

‘…What do we do with it?’ I asked.

'Don’t ask me, I’m not the one who got it to work the first time.’ The darkness told me.

‘All I did was watch it flip and slam it into the ground.’ I told him

'Well try that then.’

I paused for a moment. “Worth a shot.” I said aloud flipping the coin in the air as Celestia looked at me confused. As the coin fell it stopped in front of my face and levitated there for a moment the white side facing directly at me. Then came the flash, I closed my eyes keeping me from getting the worst of it like last time. When my vision returned to me I was still laying on the ground. I looked down at my chest and saw a single scar running along it. Turning around I saw Erebus standing behind me sporting a similar scar. The Darkness was next to him, though he lacked a scar the shadows that formed him seemed to stagnant in one specific part of his chest. I guess that’s his equivalent of a scar I thought to myself chuckling slightly. After I had chuckled I began to realize something, the pain in my chest had diminished severely. Moving my legs I began to stand up, they were sore but there was no real pain from standing. I smiled as I stood up. “That feels so much better.” I said with a deep sigh of relief.

I turned around to face Erebus, fully intending on asking him exactly what it was he did. However, I stopped myself. With Erebus right next to me our minds still shared their connection, and as soon as the thought even came to mind I knew everything Erebus had done that day.

I spun around to face the Princess and bowed my head. “I am so sorry.” I told her. “I didn’t realize that’s what he did.”

"In our own defense the only thing we could think about at the time was Skies. Surely if it had been Luna in her place you would’ve done the same if the thought had come to you.”Erebus said trying to defend himself and the darkness and me by extension.

Celestia was quiet for a moment. “…That element of yours, it’s very strange I’ll give it that.” She said shaking her head.

“Yeah it’s…wait…I didn’t tell you what the coin was.” I said as the realization came to me.

Celestia nodded. “Though that is true, I found the same thing Erebus did. I learned the truth of the matter from that." She told me.

I smiled. "Well that certainly saves me some time, it would be a pain to have to explain everything again." I said.

"Again? So you just told the others before I arrived then?" Celestia asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, they all know about these elements now." I said lifting up the gauntlet on my hoof.

Celestia looked at my element. "Such a strange form for an element to take." She said.

"You think this is strange?" I asked. "Have you seen where his is?" I said pointing to the darkness.

She looked over towards him, the darkness rolled his eyes, or at least the shadow equivalent, and brought his element forth from within his chest. Celestia's eyes widened for a moment.

"Yeah, yeah, the coin is inside of me get over it." He said.

Celestia gave him an annoyed look. "You know, being as irritable as you are, you aren't helping the not banishing you thing." She told him.

The darkness gave a glare right back at her. "I'd find a way back." He said.

"It's a bit of a trip back from the moon don't you think?" Celestia responded.

The darkness grumbled but he kept quiet after that.

"So...I guess to start off we should give you a formal apology." I said to Celestia. "Erebus, you're the one that got us into this mess."

"We are well aware of what you want us to do." Erebus said as he stepped passed me so he could stand directly in front of Celestia. He cleared his throat. "We would like to apologize to you for tearing Mr. Fuzzybottom in half. However, we regret nothing.

The was a silence in the room, and then a loud laugh erupted from the other side of the door. Celestia turned her head towards the door a horrified expression on her face and a deep blush on her cheeks.

I smiled. "That's probably the best apology you're going to get out of him." I said. "So about that banishment?"

Celestia was glaring at the door. "You're safe...for now. I have a sister who heard something she wasn't supposed to hear to deal with." She said storming towards the door. I heard the laughter growing fainter as it's source started to put as much distance in between her and Celestia as she could. I smiled as she stormed through the door chasing after Luna.

PreviousChapters Next