• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We had been walking for a couple hours. I refused to stop until I had Red Wings head. I could tell the girls were scared of me, but I paid no mind to it. I only cared about getting Skies back.

"Yo Mere."

"I told you not to call me that Dash. I am not in the mood."

"Come on we've been walking for hours we need to take a break."

"I am not going to stop. There's no telling what he has done to Skies. He could have already killed her for all I know."

Twilight spoke up now "Shadow, he obviously wants you to come to him. He won't kill Skies. If he does he loses all leverage over you. We can stop for a little bit to collect ourselves."

I knew she was right. I didn't want to stop, but I wouldn't be able to beat him if I wasn't at my full strength. "Fine we can stop... But only for a short time. I want to get to Red Wing's base as soon as possible."

All the girls nodded their heads and sat down in a circle. I stood at the edge of the circle keeping my senses trained on the cave that I had followed the gang member to. When I felt a hoof tap my shoulder. I turned around and saw the mares looking at me expectantly. I knew what they wanted, and I tried to ignore them. Eventually I gave in and walked over to the circle and sat down in between Rainbow and Twilight.

After a few seconds Twilight spoke up. "So Shadow. We were all wondering what is your story. You told us about your power, but we don't really know anything about you. We just wanted to know more about you."

"Fine what do you want to know"

"Well how about your parents. What are they like?"

I saw Rainbow Dash ears flatten at the mention of my parents. She obviously hadn't forgiven them for disowning me.

"My parents were the classic stereotypical Canterlot ponies. They wouldn't settle for anything less than perfect. They were so proud to be the first ponies to have an alicorn foal. However, after my first incident with my power they decided I wasn't the perfect foal they had hoped for and they disowned me." I said calmly.

The five mares who didn't know the story already were shocked. Surprisingly Fluttershy was the first one to speak.

"why would they do that?..I mean..if you don't mind me asking."

"That’s simple, they didn't want a monster like me as their son."

"I told you, you're not a monster, so stop calling yourself one." Twilight told me.

"Sorry their words, not mine."

"Okay let's try a different topic." Twilight said. "How about you being an alicorn. How does that work?"

"Don't know, all I do know is that I have all three forms of magic, Earth pony, Pegasus, and Unicorn, and I always excelled at anything related to them."

"Really, could you explain in more detail? I've always wanted to learn more about alicorns, but I have never asked Celestia about it." Twilight questioned.

"Well when I was less than one year old I had already mastered all the basic unicorn spells. When I was two I was told that I had been given acceptance to the Canterlot school for gifted ponies. At the age of three I flew off to the fields below Canterlot and was able to break the sound barrier." I saw Rainbow's eyes go wide.

"You preformed a Sonic Rainboom when you were three!" Rainbow asked obviously interested.

"Well no, it wasn't a Sonic Rainboom. I did break the sound barrier but instead of making a rainbow it made a strange shadow. I took to calling it the Sonic Eclipse because where ever I flew the shadow followed me and blocked out the sun. However, I may have had the speed for it, but I lacked the control. I ended up crashing into a tree at the bottom of the mountain. Lucky for me the tree slowed my fall just enough that i didn't injure myself more than getting some broken bones. I haven't tried to do that since. But back to my achievements, when I was four I was transferred to a new school for advanced students." I lowered my head down before I told them the next part of my story. " and when I was five I managed to develop my own spell."

Twilight's ears perked up as I said that. "You made your own spell when you were only five. That's amazing, how did you do it? Was it a good spell? Could you teach me it?"

"NO!" I shouted "You can never use the spell.....that spell is the same spell that earned me my cutie mark."

I saw Twilight's eyes were begging me for more information, so I recounted my tale yet again to the five other mares that hadn't heard it before.

"... And to this day I have never returned to Canterlot. I vowed that I would never let that spell be used by anypony ever again. It's caused me too much trouble, and I don't want anypony to go through what I have."

"I'm sorry I didn't know." Twilight said upset that she had asked those questions before.

"Don't be. You've all done more for me then I could possible ask for. Any other ponies would have just left me to fend for myself, but you six didn't. You're all actually trying to help me. I couldn't ask for any better friends.... Huh?" I said with a small chuckle at the end.

"What's so funny there, partner?" Applejack asked.

"Well, I never thought that I would say that." I responded.

"What do you mean by that darling?" Rarity questioned.

"I never thought I would call anypony my friends." I said grinning.

"Well that is no way to think. We will always be your friends despite your flaws. That's what friends do." Twilight said.

"Yea, and that's no way to think Shady." Pinkie said before gasping loudly. "I know when we get back to Ponyville I'm going to throw you a new friends party. I need to start preparing."

As I watched Pinkie bounce around the circle happily I said. "I'm still scared to look inside your head and find out what you're thinking." All the girls giggled when I said that. "What?... I'm serious." and I really was. When I was at the party I talked to her and when I decided to look into her mind I had to stop immediately. Her mind was the most confusing thing I had ever seen. I almost went insane just looking for a second.

"Aw, don't think that way Shady my head isn't that confusing." Pinkie said cheerfully.

"Did...did you just read my mind?" I said shocked by what she just said.

"No, how would I do that?" Pinkie responded.

"But you...I... I mean..... You know what just forget it." I said.

"Forget what Shady?" Pinkie asked.

"Exactly" I responded.

"Hey, how come you let Pinkie call you a nickname, but you don't let me when I do it?" Rainbow asked.

"Well for one I'm not in as much of a bad mood anymore and two I didn't like your nickname for me. I actually like the one Pinks gave me." I answered a wide grin on my face.

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

I started to laugh and they all laughed along with me. I was happy, I was actually having a normal conversation, but my demeanor shifted back to serious thoughts. Bright Skies was in danger and I was going to help her. The girls noticed my shift and understood the time for fun was over and stopped laughing. I knew Skies was safe I could still sense her. Nothing seemed wrong she still has the same fears I had felt her have before. Then something changed I felt her presence start to move quickly and her fears changed. Her main fear now was a lead pipe. I pieced it together right as I felt her presence fly rapidly and then stop instantly. She collapsed onto the ground and her fears shifted back to a dream like state.

My anger flared. "THAT BASTARD, I'M GOING TO KILL HIM AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS GANG MEMBERS!!!" I shouted into the air turning and running in the direction of the cave. They were hurting Skies. He wasn't walking out of that cave. Not now, not ever. I heard the girls get up behind me and follow me. Right now I really didn't want them to come. I didn't want them to see the things I was about to do, but I knew I wouldn't be able to convince them to stay. I didn't want to waste any time either. Skies was in danger and I was going to save her.

PreviousChapters Next