• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I sat in the dark dungeon in the Canterlot Castle. I had a horn inhibitor on and my wings were bound. I wasn’t moving I simply sat in the middle of my cell. I had lost connection with the rest of the world. The only thing I was aware of was myself. Occasionally a guard came in to give me some food. I didn’t acknowledge them and they just left the food in my cell. I would walk over, sit down, and I would eat. When I was done I returned to middle of the cell. That was the most activity I had done these past few days. This would be day three in the dungeon. I had received no word from either Twilight or Skies. I could only hope that they were ok. I would have tried to use my power to find them, but I was trying to refrain from using it so the darkness wouldn’t get out again. Not that I really regret letting him take control at the restaurant. I heard the door open, but I didn’t look to see who it was. It was probably just a guard coming to give me food. I had lost track of the specific time, all I knew was when the sun went down and came back up. The door shut and the pony that had walked in started towards me. Then they spoke.

“Hello my little pony.” An elegant female voice spoke.

This was unusual so I looked up and saw the Princess of the sun herself standing in front of me. At first I was stunned, but I regained my senses and quickly bowed.

“You may rise.” She said and I lifted my head back up, but avoided her gaze. “You are the one Twilight has been sending me letters about, Shadowmere correct?” I nodded my head. “I understand you are not only special just because you are an alicorn.” I nodded again. “Would you care to explain to me the extent of your power.”

I lifted my head to face her and looked her in the eyes. I didn't want to do this, but she wanted to see my power. I started to use my power and explore her mind. I found one of her fears and I started speaking. “1,000 years ago, not long after Discord was defeated the first time. You were forced to banish your sister to the moon because she wanted to bring everlasting night.”

“Yes that is a common history.” She said.

“That is correct, but the part of that story that has been kept hidden from the public is the story that happened the night before you banished her. The night she sent assassins to kill you while you slept.” I saw her eyes start to open in surprise. “You decided that night that no other pony would know of this. Because you thought that if word of this got out. Her banishment would be replaced by execution for attempted murder of royalty.” By now she was very interested and her surprise had been suppressed. “This is my power. I see into the souls of ponies and view all that is dark in them. Their fears, their hate, their evil, and their envy. This comes at a price however. Sometimes I lose control of the darkness and the darkness takes control. Its only purpose in its life is to spread darkness.” I said.

“My student told me you were special, but I didn’t expect that.” The princess said. “Now, what happened at the restaurant? Why did the guards need to arrest you?” she asked.

“I ran into my father. I hadn’t seen him in seventeen years. Needless to say we didn’t see eye to eye.” I answered.

“Seventeen years? How old are you?” she asked.

“Twenty two.” I answered

“So you hadn’t seen him since you were five? Who took care of you while he wasn’t home?” she asked.

I smiled at her misunderstanding. “Oh no. he was always home. It was me who wasn’t. He disowned me when I was five after I first discovered my power.” The princess’ showed surprise and sadness. “I was forced to fend for myself all these years, but truthfully I’m glad he did. Even before I found my power we always disagreed, and if he didn’t send me away I never would have found my sister.”

“Sister? Did he disown her as well?”

“No, we aren’t actually related by blood. I found her after her parents had been murdered in an alleyway. I didn’t want her to be alone so I took her with me. We’ve been together for around five years now.” I said with a bit more joy in my voice.

“Okay I think I’ve heard enough.” The princess said while her horn started to glow. My shackles and horn inhibitor fell off of me. “I am hereby pardoning you of all accusations.”

I looked at the princess. "Are you sure? I'm not going to lie. There still is a large chance that the darkness will escape again."

The Princess simple smiled. "Yes I'm sure, because I know that even if you do lose control. You will always try and protect the ponies around you."

I returned the princess' smile. “Thank you princess.”

“Think nothing of it. Now come along. The others are waiting for you in the throne room.” She said as her horn started to glow again. Suddenly there was a bright flash and when I opened my eyes I saw that I was in the Canterlot throne room. Then I turned around just in time to get tackled to the ground by Skies. She was crying into my coat and telling me how much she missed me. I wrapped my hooves around her and hugged her back. Eventually we stood back up side by side, both with smiles. I saw that all six of the other girls were in the room as well. They all seemed happy to see that I was all right.

“Hello everypony. I would say more but first.” I turned towards Applejack. “Please tell me you have some apples on you. Because no offense princess, but your prison food is terrible.” My comment got a small laugh from the girls.

After getting some lunch the eight of us started towards the train station. We were about to board the train when my power felt something. It was a feeling I was familiar with. I turned towards the source and saw a pony with a cloak some distance away. I turned towards the train car the girls had gone in and I told Skies. “Go ahead and head back to town with the girls. I’ll be along shortly I have a little business here before I go.”

“Okay I’ll see you at the house.” She said getting onto the train.

I turned back towards the hooded pony and walked towards them. I stood next to the pony and said. “Hello mom”

“How could you tell it was me?”

“I have my ways... Is father okay?”

“He is extremely angry but no real damage.”

“I’m sorry that you had to see that at the restaurant.”

“Don’t be it wasn’t your fault.”

“But it was. I could have walked away, but then he started talking about Skies and I just couldn’t let him get away with that.”

“You shouldn’t always blame yourself. You keep trying to take other ponies burdens onto your own shoulders.”

“How can I not? Because of my power I already take on their feelings. I just want to help ponies. I know their fear as my own. I know their anger, their hate. I just want to keep them from suffering.”

“And that’s a good thing but sometimes there is nothing you can do and you can’t blame yourself for that.”

I walked towards my mother and gave her an embrace “Thank you mother” I said.

She returned my embrace. “You have nothing to thank me for.”

I broke the embrace and asked. “So what will you do now?”

“Well I don’t think I can stay with your father anymore. He’s changed so much. He’s just getting angrier and angrier. I’m scared of him now, and I don’t think I should be with him anymore.”

“Where will you go?” I asked.

“I don’t know, but I know I can’t stay with you father anymore.”

“You could always come with us.”

“That is an option, but I would be lying if I said that I'm not scared of you too.”

“I know, but please don’t forget that you’re always welcome with us. If you ever need any help I won’t hesitate to come.” I said. Then after a pause I continued. “Wow this seems really backwards right now.”

This got a small laugh out of my mom. “Yes, it does seem that way. You should go now, I’m sure that your younger sister will want to see you quickly.” She said as she started to walk away.

“Good-bye mom”

“Good-bye son, be careful”

“I will” I said as I started to walk away as well. I saw her smile before I spread my wings and took off towards Ponyville. My flight took a few minutes but I finally landed on the outskirts of the town. I started walking towards my home, but I stopped after thinking for a second. I then turned around and started walking towards the sweets shop known as Sugar-cube Corner. Knowing there was probably going to be a party tonight, and nopony misses a Pinkie party.

PreviousChapters Next