• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 73

Chapter 73

I opened my eyes and sat straight up screaming. I quickly looked around at my surroundings. Long curtains, large room, fluffy bed, panicked Rainbow next to me, light blue walls... wait panicked Rainbow? I quickly turned my head back around and saw Rainbow sitting next to me a worried look on her face.

"Shadow are you okay?" She asked.

I took a few deep breaths. "Yeah, yeah, I'm good." I said putting a hoof to my head. "My head is killing me though."

'You don't get to complain. You always pass out right as it starts.'

"It's only been two times." I told him.

"What?" Rainbow asked.

"Sorry, Darkness, too tired to just think this to him." I told her.

'I'm pretty sure it takes more energy to talk than to think.'

"Shut up." I told him. I looked back to Rainbow. "So where did I wake up this time?" I asked.

"A guest room in the castle." She answered.

"Crystal castle or Canterlot castle?" I questioned.

"Crystal." She told me.

"Shadow?" I heard Twilight say from the other side of the door. "Are you okay, we heard screaming?"

"Yeah, I'm alright." I said trying to light my horn to open the door. Rainbow however stopped me by putting a hoof on my head. She got up and walked to the door.

"Oh Rainbow you're already here." Twilight said as Rainbow opened the door.

"Well I didn't really leave." She responded.

"I swear if you say you didn't eat or sleep the entire time I was...How long have I been out?" I asked.

"Two days." Rainbow told me.

"Okay, as I was saying, you had better of eaten and slept sometime these last two days." I told her.

"Of course I did. Not like I'm going to give up my daily allotment of naps since I already knew you were going to be okay." She said.

"You confidence in me is encouraging." I told her. I decided to stand up from the bed. I rolled off and landed on my hooves. Looking I saw that they were once again their usual black color. I walked around the room a bit making sure my legs still worked. After I was confident that my legs weren't going to fall out from under me I noticed the window and walked over to it. It looked like I was on the lower part of the castle so I could see into the center and I saw the crystal heart floating there. There was a shiver that ran down my spine.

'Despite the fact that the heart is good I don't think I'm ever going to be able to be around it that much.'

'I don't even know if it will let you, it's not very fond of me.'

I turned away from the window closing my eyes and taking a few calming breaths.

"Shadow, you alright?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah, just working through a few bad memories." I told her.

"You want to talk about it?" Twilight asked.

"What's there to talk about, It isn't emotional damage just pure pain. I'm pretty sure with all the stuff I've seen I'm not even able to get emotional damage anymore." I responded.

"Shadow that's not something you really want." Twilight said.

"In theory, but in practice it can be helpful." I told her.

"What do you mean?" Rainbow asked.

"Well... It gives you a pony willing to do what needs to be done." I answered.

"And that means what?" Twilight asked.

I sighed. "Because this world isn't perfect, it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes good ponies have to do bad things, things that need to be done."

"You don't mean-" Rainbow started.

"Yes, I do. I mean what do you think happened to Sombra?" I asked them. Their eyes widened. "Listen keep this from Spike and Cadance. They don't need to know the full implications of what happened, but I know exactly what happened to Sombra, I was next to him when it happened and I even felt a little of it. What happened to him was neither quick nor painless. He was basically erased from existence. I may not know exactly how he came back this time, but I know for certain he won't be coming back ever." I told them.

The was an eerie silence that was followed by a crashing and shattering noise. All of us in the room turned our heads and saw both Cadance and Spike standing there a look of dread on both their faces. A silver platter and tea set broken in front of them.

"Don't-" I started, before the two ran off down the hall. "-go!" I finished extending a hoof. "Damn. Damn! DAMN!" I shouted into the air chasing after them. Every time, why did I even think to explain to the girls what truly happened. They could've just gone on living without knowing and be perfectly fine.

'Wow...that was enjoyable to watch.' The darkness said chuckling.

'shut your damn mouth or I swear I will make you wish Gaia never created the first darkness.' I told him.

'I've never seen you this upset before...I think I'm just going to be quiet for a while.'

I returned my focus to the hallway and kept running. Activating my power I found the two along with a third presence. I recognize the presence easily and then teleported just outside the room. The door was cracked open slightly so I pushed it open with my hoof and walked in. I found Cadance and Spike sitting there crying into Celestia's coat. Celestia was very confused. Obviously they hadn't told her what had them so upset, most likely too busy crying.

I walked forward and simply sat down a small ways away from the three. "I know it hurts, but you will need to accept it now." I told them.

"Accept it? Accept it?!" Cadance said looking at me. "How can we accept the fact that we killed somepony."

Celestia was now very concerned.

"Because sometimes some ponies don't deserve to live." I told them causing all three to stare at me. "I mean you know what Sombra did to this place, it can easily be considered justified." I told them.

The two continued crying while Celestia looked at me. "You told them?" She asked me.

"No, they overheard me talking about it, I didn't want them to know." I told her.

"How can you justify keeping something important like that from us?" Cadance asked me.

"Because look at you." I told them. "You aren't ready to deal with that kind of weight on your conscience."

"And how would you know?!" Cadance countered.

"Because I know more than anypony about all this shit!" I shouted back making the room go silent. "I know what it's like to feel despair from killing, I know what it's like to feel the fear of dying, I know what it's like to kill. I'm not innocent, Even without darkness. I don't like to admit it but I've killed in cold blood, and sometimes I even enjoyed it." I told them. I could feel the fear from Cadance and Spike, Celestia had more concern. "The only little thing I can cling onto is the fact that I have never killed an innocent. I couldn't even tell you how many ponies I've killed, I've lost count. All I can say is that by killing them I spared the lives of innocents." Cadance and Spike were both looking away from me, while Celestia just looked at me with sadness. "I know that it seems like it's not fair, but that's life. Somepony has to do the hard things so that others don't have to. I've grown to accept this fact, now it's your choice. Will you accept this as true or will you deny it and attempt to live in your perfect fantasy world as long as you can?" They continued to look away. "You're going to have to realize it eventually. You're both basically eternal and you're going to-"

"Shadow!" Celestia said forcefully, interrupting me. "I think that's enough."

I took a few deep breaths. "I'm sorry, it's a topic I find difficult to discuss gently."

"Considering what you've seen I can understand that, but that's no reason to be so harsh to them. They will need time acceptance doesn't happen in an instant." Celestia told me.

I nodded. "I know, I'm just angry right now. I didn't want them to know, not like this."

"I understand, just go get some rest and calm down. We can discuss this later." Celestia said.

I gave a small nod and left the room. As I shut the door behind me and turned around. I found the girls all standing there. With the exception of Skies they all had a worried expression.

'Oh Celestia, how much did they hear?'

'Probably enough'

PreviousChapters Next