• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 102

Chapter 102

Twilight, Celestia, and I spent the rest of the day sitting in the library looking through records to see if there were any hints as to what evil was coming to Equestria.

I sighed. "We're not getting anywhere." I said.

"Well it's not like the answer is going to come to us." Celestia said. As she finished a plume of purple fire flew through the air and formed into a scroll in front of the three of us.

"Did Spike send that?" I asked.

Twilight shook her head. "Spike's fire is green, not purple."

"What's it say?" I asked.

Celestia unrolled the scroll and began to read. "Tick Tock, Tick Tock, they watch the clock. They're waiting to be freed, and we preform our dark deed. Fly home quick, then take your pick. Who will live, and what will you give. Prevent their doom, find the...It cuts off there." She said. "It's signed S.H."

"Scaled Heart." I said.

"The dragon that came to the castle?" Twilight asked.

"They're just toying with us. They're not even taking this seriously." I said angrily.

"What even is it?" Twilight asked.

"A riddle, I would guess." Celestia said.

I nodded. "They're trying to tell us the first thing they're going to do." I said.

"Why would they do that?" Twilight asked.

"They want an audience. They want us to know it was them." I told her.

"But what does it mean, is the true question." Celestia said.

I sighed. "Whatever it is, it seems like it might be in Ponyville." I said. The two mares looked at me. "It says to fly home, you're already home." I said to Celestia. "So it must be refering to our home, Ponyville."

"That makes sense." Celestia said.

"Is it possible to send anypony to investigate the town?" I asked.

"Well, Applejack, Rainbow, and Rarity went back to Ponyville to watch the school play Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom are putting on. We could send a letter to Spike and have him tell them to look around." Twilight said.

I nodded. "That seems like a good idea." I sighed. "I envy those fillies, they don't have to deal with this type of stuff. All they have to do is sit in class bored and wait to be freed from their..." My voice trailed off as I spoke. Both Twilight and Celestia were staring at me., hearing what I had said. "What ryhmes with doom?" I asked.

'Boom.'

"It's a bomb in the school house!" I suddenly said.

Both Celestia and Twilight's eyes widened.

"We need to tell everypony to get out of there!" Twilight said.

"Send the letter to Spike tell them to evacuate the schoolhouse." I said to Twilight. I turned to Celestia. "Send some guards, they may still be in the area." I turned and started to run towards the library entrance.

"What are you doing Shadow?" Twilight asked.

"I'm going myself." I said as I ran into the hallway. I pushed open a window in the hallway and jumped out. I tuned myself to face Ponyville and started to fly as fast as I could.

'it's a few hours flight to Ponyville, you won't make it anywhere near there in time to do anything.'

'Then I'll just go faster.' I told the darkness.

'we're already at our max.' The darkness responded.

'We've gone faster before.' I said.

'What are you...The Sonic Eclipse? I don't know if you remember but we can't control that amount of speed. We'd just end up crashing.'

'Well it's the only way.' I told him.

I heard the darkness sigh. '...there may be a way to control the speed.' He said.

'How?' I asked.

'Erebus.'

'...Do it.'

Shadows began to swarm around my body forming a barrier around me. I felt my mind connect with the Darkness, and I ceased to be me.

We burst forth from the shadows around us. We turned and looked towards Ponyville once more. We spread our wings wide and started to fly. We saw the air begin to form a barrier in front of us. Soon it began to bend, and then the barrier broke. We heard a loud boom and started to accelerate rapidly. Out of the corner of our eye we saw a blanket of shadows following behind us blocking out the sun's rays. We looked towards Ponyville. "We shall not let them succeed."

~~~A Few Minutes Later~~~

We were flying over Ponyville's Schoolhouse. There was a stage set up to the side of the building. We could see Spike off to the side having a discussion with Applejack, Rainbow, and Rarity. "They seem to not understand the severity of the situation." We said, turning we looked at the stage. The fillies and colts were already in the middle to their performance.

'Well we have to do something.' I thought.

'We could give them a reason to get out of the area.' The Darkness suggested.

'Meaning?' I asked.

'Dive bomb the stage and make them run away in fear of us.' The Darkness answered.

'...Worth a shot.'

"Let us begin." We said as we shut our wings. Our form began to fall towards the stage. We made sure to angle ourselves so that we would land with our hooves on the ground. As we approached the stage we made sure to aim for an empty section of the stage. At the last moment we spread our wings slowing ourselves slightly. Our resulting landing created a small crater in the stage. The entire audience fell silent as they stared at me.

We cleared our throat. We felt the fears around us, we took in the energy from them and extended the shadow's from our mane and tail enveloping the stage in darkness. "Run." We said simply.

The audience and foals on stage erupted in screams and fled from the schoolhouse as quickly as they could.

"Shad-I mean Erebus, what are you doing?!" Rainbow asked.

"Did you not receive the letter?" We asked.

"Well yeah, but that doesn't mean you should dive bomb the stage." Rainbow told us.

"May we see the letter?" We responded.

"Yeah, here." Spike said holding up the letter.

We took the letter in our magic and brought it up to read. "...As we thought. She failed to mention the bomb."

"BOMB!?" The mares called out.

"Sis what's going on? Who is he?" Apple Bloom asked hiding behind her sister.

"Aw young Apple Bloom, worry not we shall be gone soon we simply need to-" I loud beeping came from the stage. We stopped speaking and spun around projecting a barrier between the school house and the ponies behind us. The schoolhouse suddenly blew outward and was engulfed in fire. The fire slammed against the shield. We stood strong and kept the barrier up. The fire receded until only the schoolhouse was still ablaze. We dropped the barrier. "It seems we did not arrive in time to prevent the explosion. It is fortunate that we managed to get the rest of the ponies out of the blast radius."

"Um mister...who are you?" Apple Bloom asked.

"We are Erebus."

"You remind me of Shadowmere." Apple Bloom said.

We chuckled. "Considering his mind in inside of our own it is quite understandable."

Apple Bloom looked at us tilting her head in confusion. "What?"

"Perhaps save the explanation for another time." Rarity said.

"That seems acceptable." We said. "Now we must return to Celestia and Twilight and tell them of the developments." We told them.

"I could just send a letter." Spike suggested.

"No, I believe it best to go on our own. I believe Shadowmere wishes to berate Twilight himself for leaving out the most important part of the letter." We said.

'Indeed I do.' I thought.

"We must take our leave now." We said taking off.

~~~At The Castle.~~~

We landed at the front of the castle. Celestia and Twilight came out of the castle and met us as we landed.

"Erebus?" Celestia said. "Did you get to the town in time? We saw the fire from the castle."

"Fortunately, We managed to evacuate the bystanders before the explosion. Nopony was harmed, however the is one thing we need to discuss." We said turning to face Twilight.

"Wha-what is it?" Twilight asked.

"Did the part about the bomb not meet your criteria for being put in the letter?" We asked.

"...I completely forgot to mention the reason to evacuate didn't I?" Twilight responded.

"Yes, yes you did." We told her.

A purple fire flew in front of our face and materialized into a scroll. We grabbed the scroll with our magic and began to read. "You did good on our first test, but beware because this next test is the hardest. Don't worry there's only two choices, the Dark and the Bright."

"What does that mean?" Twilight asked.

"It means We will have to make a choice apparently between the Dark and...Where is Skies?"

PreviousChapters Next