• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I stood there and released the fear I was holding as I felt it start to return to the mare. I turned my head and saw my friends standing in the entrance of the alley.

“I suggest that you all head back to the library.” I said to them. “I think that this may be more of a personally matter.”

“But we’re your friends. We can’t just leave you.” Rainbow said stepping to my side.

“I know, but please. Do this for me. This mare hasn’t had the experience I’ve had on how to deal with the darkness. She doesn’t have any control. I don’t know how long I’ll last if I had to hold her back for a long time, so please.” I said to her. “Don’t worry about me. Her power has no effect on me, so she can’t hurt me that way.”

Rainbow looked into my normal eye and sighed. “Alright, but please be careful.” She said putting her legs around my neck before walking away from the alley with the rest.

I heard the mare chuckle and I turned to face her. “How sweet. Two ponies who’ve fallen in love. I can’t wait to break that apart.”

“Yeah, it’s official. I definitely prefer you over her.” I said to my dark side.

“And I prefer you over her good side.” My dark side said to me.

“If you two are done. Can we get back to the business at hoof?” the mare’s darkness asked.

“Fine, we’ve asked you a few questions. How about you ask something now?” I said to her.

“All right then, so you said seventeen years. How was your first transformation?” She asked me.

“Painful. Not just for me though.” I answered glaring at her.

“Ooh, looks like I hit a soft spot.” The dark mare said with a chuckle.

“Yes you did, now I’m going to have to ask you to give up your control.” I told her.

“Really and what if I don’t want to?” she responded.

I smiled. “Have you forgotten?” I asked her. “I’ve been doing this for much longer than you. I know how you work. You’re fueled by fear, so take away the fear-” I started as I began to use my power. I reached inside and found the physical fear in the mare’s body. Then I started to pull it out. The dark side of the mare began to cringe a little as the physical fear began to leave her body. “-then I also take away your control.” I finished. I extracted all the physical fear from her body and I saw her eye start to return to a dark blue. I absorbed the fear into my own body and destroyed it. The mare in the alley fell to the ground unconscious.

I felt the darkness smile again. “This shall most definitely prove to be interesting.” He said as he gave me back my full control.

I blinked as my body was fully under my control again, and I walked over to the mare wrapping her in a levitation field. I then turned and started out of the alley just as the other two were waking up from their nightmares.

I opened the door to Twilight’s library and walked in levitating the mare behind me. My friends who had gathered in the library before began to swarm me asking multiple questions. I sighed and levitated the mare onto the couch. “Okay!” I said to them. “One question at a time please.”

Rainbow asked first. “Who is she?”

“I have no idea. I’ve never even seen her before.” I answered.

Twilight was next. “Is she okay?”

“Considering she shares my power no, but physically she’s fine.” I told her.

“Well, why is she here?” Rarity asked.

“I don’t know, I think that it has something to do with her dark side.” I answered.

“Can I throw her a party?” Pinkie asked pushing her cannon.

“…Yes.” I answered. “But give her some time first.

Pinkie nodded and smiled putting the cannon away, somewhere.

“How long do ya think it will be till she wakes up?” Applejack asked looking at the mare.

“I’ll defer to Fluttershy on that.” I responded.

The girls all turned to look at Fluttershy who was next to the mare. “I think she’ll be awake in maybe a half-hour. I mean, that’s my best guess.”

“Alright then.” I said. “Twilight I want you to teleport the mare, Skies, and me out of town.”

“Why do you want me to do that?” she asked.

“Because if I know the darkness like I think I do. The moment she wakes up her darkness will try to take control again.” I answered her. “And I want to be as far away from the town as I can be when that happens.”

Twilight thought for a moment and then nodded. “Alright, I’ll teleport you out of town, but if anything happens please tell us.” I nodded. Twilight’s horn started to glow and I closed my eyes. I felt a slight twisting sensation and then I opened my eyes. I was on the outskirts of Ponyville. Skies was standing next to me and the mare was laying in the grass. I sighed, now it was a waiting game.

~~~Half an Hour Later~~~

I sat looking at the sky my back against a tree and Skies resting next to me. I heard the soft movement and looked ahead of me. The mare was stirring in the grass. I moved away from the tree and stood a little ways away from the mare. The mare’s eyes opened and she started to stand up, wobbly at first but eventually she got herself up. She looked around and then she saw me. She looked very surprised at seeing me and then looked around taking in her surroundings. After she looked around for a bit she turned back to me.

“Who- who are you?” She asked me.

“My name is Shadowmere.” I answered. “This is my sister Bright Skies.” I said indicating to my sister. “Might I ask who you are?”

“I- I’m Starry Night.” She answered me.

“In the alley your dark side told me she manifested a few days ago. I need to know exactly what happened.” I told her.

She nodded, I could tell she was scared. “I don’t remember much. All I know is one day I woke up with a terrible headache, and then that thing came and I couldn’t control myself. Then ponies started screaming and wouldn’t stop. Then I lost consciousness. When I woke up I was out in the middle of the road with no idea where I was, and I had these wings.” The mare said indicating to her back.

“So you used to be a unicorn?” I asked.

She nodded. “Things used to be so simple. Wake up, go to the observatory, work through the day and into the night, and then go home. Now though, everything’s so different, and I can’t control any of it.” She said starting to cry.

“Trust me I know, but it can get better if you try.” I said to her. “I’ve had to deal with this long enough to know that.”

Starry Night looked at me. “How do you cope with it?” She asked. “I can feel them, all of them, all around Equestria. Their fears, their hate, their sorrow. How do you get rid of this?”

“As far as I know, there is no way to get rid of it. Only a way to make it hurt less.” I answered. I could tell that she was hurting, she kept looking all around and grimacing as she felt all the fear, from all the ponies. “Listen to me, you have to learn to block out the fears.”

“How?” She asked closing her eyes and coving her head hoping it would block out the pain.

“First, just focus on one fear. Your own fear. Don’t pay any attention to other ponies. Just focus on yourself.” I told her.

“I can’t. There’s too much.” She responded.

“Yes you can. Start talking through it. What do you fear? Tell me.” I said to her.

“I fear- I fear that I’m going to cause pain. I’m afraid that I’ll never see my family or friends again.” She told me.

“Alright, focus on that. Focus on your friends and family, just them. Don’t pay attention to anything else.” I said to her. She nodded and I saw her start to cry, but I felt the fear she was feeling dwindle down. “That’s good. By focusing on your own feelings you can block out the feelings of other ponies.”

“I can still feel them though.” She said to me.

“I know, it won’t just disappear right away. It takes lots of practice to completely block out all the emotions and even then they don’t go away completely. They just become whispers in the back of your mind that you’re able to ignore.”

“How could you do this for seventeen years?” She asked me standing up and looking at me.

“With lots of pain and sorrow.” I answered her.

“I don’t know if I can do this. These past few days. I’ll I’ve felt like doing is taking my own life and just ending it all.” She told me.

I lowered my head. “It’s not that easy, they won’t let you take your own life. Trust me I know all too well.”

The mare looked at me. “Then what do I do? What can I do?” She asked me.

I lifted my head up to face her. “There’s only one thing you can do. Cope with it as best you can.” I told her. “That’s all I’ve ever done.”

PreviousChapters Next