• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59

Chapter 59

I made my way out of the garden and started to look around. I saw Flare a little ways off talking to his parents. I had met them many times when we were just foals. I didn’t want to talk to them yet though, I’m pretty sure Flare would’ve told them what happened at the school so I didn’t really want to talk to either of them quite yet. I waved a hoof to get his attention and pointed to a gazebo a ways off once he saw me, motioning I told him to meet me over there. I made my way over and leaned on the edge of the gazebo for a few minutes more before I heard a few hoofsteps.

“Hey, what’s up?” I heard Flare ask.

“First promise me you won’t freak out.” I told him.

“Okay…” he said a little unsure. “I won’t freak out, what’s going on?” He asked.

“Well we may have an uninvited guest crashing the wedding.” I told him.

“Alright so what’s the big deal, if he causes trouble we can just throw him out right?” Flare questioned.

“Normally yes, but you see the guest is, well he’s… I don’t really know how to put this any other way. Discord’s gonna come and crash you wedding.” I told him bluntly.

Flare blinked a few times. Then he started to laugh. “Yeah, yeah, Discord’s gonna crash my wedding, and Nightmare Moon is gonna plan the fireworks. Come on what’s really up?” He asked me.

I let out a frustrated sigh. “Flare… you have antlers and a horn.” I told him as the two seemingly materialized on his head.

“Huh, what does that mean?” He asked me confused.

“Turn around.” I told him, Flare did so and soon I saw a miniaturized Discord laying on Flare’s back, still in his patchwork suit. “How are you?” I asked him.

“Well I’m-” Flare started.

“Just so you know he’s not talking to you.” Discord said interrupting him. Making Flare jump slightly in surprise. He ran forward away from the voice and turned around quickly to see Discord floating in midair where he had been standing.

“See, I was being serious.” I told him indicating to the draconequus.

“I- but- you- he.” Flare began mumbling unable to form coherent thoughts.

“Ah, it seems my reputation is still big enough to leave them speechless when they see me. Ah, how I’ve missed the spotlight.” Discord said as he lowered his feet onto the ground.

“WHAT’S-” Flare started.

I put my hoof over his mouth. “You said you wouldn’t freak out.” I told him. He took a few deep breaths through his nose and gave a short nod. I removed my hoof from Flare’s mouth.

“WHAT’S GOING ON HERE!?” He suddenly shouted.

“Why do I even bother?” I asked to nopony in particular rolling my eyes.

“Truthfully I don’t know, you really seem to waste a lot of time with things like that.” Discord said as he walked up next to me.

“WHY ARE YOU TWO BEING ALL BUDDY, BUDDY?! THAT’S DISCORD YOU KNOW THE EVIL GUY WHO ENSLAVED ALL OF EQUESTRIA ONE THOUSAND YEARS AGO, AND JUST RECENTLY TRIED AGAIN!” Flare shouted.

“If you will stop shouting for a few moments then maybe I could explain.” I told Flare who promptly covered his mouth. “Yes I will admit Discord did enslave Equestria over a thousand years ago mind you, recently though he didn’t really enslave it as much as he just tried to mess with it. Now as to why I’m being all ‘buddy, buddy’ with him, is because I’m actually starting to trust him.” I told Flare.

“Only starting? I’m really hurt Mere.” Discord said with a chuckle.

“Shut it Dissy, it’s more than you usually get.” I countered. “And stop calling me Mere!”

“That still doesn’t explain anything to me!” Flare said.

“Alright listen, it was decided before by myself, the elements, as well as the princesses that we were going to release Discord.” I told him.

“One, why? Two, on my wedding day!?” Flare asked me.

“One, because we decided he deserved a chance to rectify his wrongs, and he’s sworn to try and keep himself in check. Two, that… was not part of the plan, he kind of just got out without anypony knowing, even without him knowing as well.” I answered.

“And you just trust him, because he told you?” Flare asked me.

“Are you saying I’m untrustworthy?” Discord asked.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.” Flare responded.

“Enough!” I told them. “Listen Flare all I can tell you is that I trust him, slightly. Just give it a chance.” With a deep breath and a sigh Flare nodded. “As for you” I said turning to Discord. “I don’t suppose there’s anything I can say to keep you from crashing the wedding is there?” I asked him.

“Not one thing.” He answered me.

I saw Flare deep in thought. ‘What is he thinking about?’ I asked myself. Suddenly I saw a spark of realization in his eyes and a confident smirk. “Well then I think I’m about to prove you wrong.” He said to Discord. Both Discord and myself raised an eyebrow. “Now I just need a-”

“Here ya go!” Pinkie suddenly said popping up from under one of the gazebos floorboards holding a pink envelope. ‘Don’t think about it. Don’t think about it. Don’t think about it.’

Flare hesitantly took the letter. “Thank…you?” He said unsure as Pinkie descended back under the gazebo leaving no evidence she was even there except for the letter. ‘That mare would do wonders for the world of espionage.’ Flare shook his head and returned to reality. He walked up to Discord with some confidence, but still with some hesitation in his step. “Discord I hereby invite you to my wedding" he said putting the letter into Discord’s claw. Both I and the spirit of chaos were speechless. “Let’s see you crash something that you’ve actually been invited to.”

Discord suddenly got a miscevious grin. “I’ll take that as a challenge.” He told Flare.

I looked back and forth between the two of them as they shared a glare. “Not to interrupt or anything, but I think the ceremony starts in like forty minutes.” I told them.

Flare suddenly looked towards the clock tower across the garden. “Oh buck, we need to go!” He said as he grabbed me by the leg and started to fly towards where the ceremony would take place.

I looked back at Discord. “Try to keep damages to a minimum!” I told him.

“We’ll see!” He shouted back. “But as a warning you may want to get a-” We left hearing distance before I could hear what Discord was saying.

‘Great, now not only do we have a spirit of chaos running around, but now he’s on a mission to crash a party he’s been invited to. This is gonna end just great without any hitches I can just tell.’ I thought to myself.

Flare and I made it back to the garden with some time to spare. After straightening up our suits we took our places and waited for Celestia to begin the ceremony. The ceremony began normal and Cloud had made her way down the middle to the alter. I must admit Rarity really outdid herself on the dress, but I don’t think Cloud was used to being so dressed up. She took her place next to Flare and Breeze Dancer stood next to her. Celestia stood in between Flare and Cloud with the six elements behind her, three on her right and three on her left. She began the ceremony addressing the reason for the gathering and beginning the exchanging of vows between the two along with the exchanging of the rings. After that, since my major part was done my mind shifted to other things, like what exactly was Discord planning. I was casually looking around the garden to try and see anything out of place, but nothing seemed to be. I didn’t know exactly what Discord was planning but thanks to my paranoia I didn’t want to be unprepared, so I did a little prep work and hid a few things around the side of the alter, a filled water bucket, some bug spray, a piece of plywood, and an umbrella. Whatever he was planning I was going to be ready.

“-And now by my power I do declare you both husband and wife.” I heard Celestia say drawing me back to reality. “You may kiss the bride.” She told the two who happily obliged. There were many claps and cheers through the cloud as the newlywed couple shared their first kiss as husband and wife. I smiled at the two. ‘It seems that everything is actually going to end on a good note for once.’ I thought to myself.

Suddenly I saw Celestia’s ear twitch slightly. “What’s that noise.” She said quietly that only I really heard.

I started to shift my ears around to get a better listen and I too began to hear a noise, it was getting closer too by the sound of it. Soon enough the audience had quieted down and they too began to hear the noise as well. Everypony was looking around for the source when I saw something round the corner into the garden. It was Discord in his patchwork suit followed by…

‘Oh sweet Celestia, he’s not seriously going to do what I think he is…is he?’ I thought as I used my magic to get a grip on the umbrella I had stashed away. ‘Yeah, he probably is.’

PreviousChapters Next