• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,160 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33

Chapter 33

I stood on the short hill looking at the group of mares that had run through the entrance. I had a small smile, but that soon changed as the group finally noticed me. It changed because I saw the pure anger in the eyes of a certain cyan mare and a certain white filly. I took one step back, I was legitimately scared. I spread my wings and took off through the tree line. I don’t know why I decided to flee. I think it was instinct, fight or flight. Needless to say I chose flight, quite literally in fact. After a moment I realized that choosing to try and out fly the fastest flyer in Equestria was a pretty bad decision. Unfortunately, I realized that fact a little too late and found myself being tackled in midair. I found myself plummeting towards the ground. I closed my eyes and braced for impact, but it never came. My pursuer released me and I opened my eyes. I saw everything, but it was all a violet hue. I quickly realized that I was in a levitation field, and that I was upside down. I felt my body turn and I was met with five angry glares, three grateful smiles, one mane and the barrel of a cannon.

“Okay, I can explain everything.” I said.

“Really?” my sister asked.

“…No, but I do have one thing to say.” I answered.

“And what’s that?” Skies asked.

“Teleportation.” I said as I disappeared in a flash and appeared below the aura the right way up. I landed and brushed the small amount of dirt I had gathered. I soon found myself trapped in another levitation field restricting my movements. “Why do you keep doing that? It’s annoying.” I asked the group who seemed a bit surprised by my statement.

“Because if I don’t you’ll run away?” Twilight answered a little unsure of herself.

I paused and blinked for a few moments. Then it dawned on me. I turned to the three fillies who were with the mares. “You didn’t tell them did you?” I asked them. The three started to look around trying to look innocent. I sighed “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Y’all didn’t tell us what?” Applejack asked turning to the three.

“That we were attacked by timberwolves on the way back.” Sweetie Belle said trying to avoid the gaze of the six mares.

“YOU WERE WHAT!?” Rarity screamed rushing over and looking her sister over. “Oh, you weren’t hurt were you.” She asked lifting her sister up and looking for any sign of damage.

“We’re fine, Shadow saved us.” Apple Bloom said grabbing Sweetie Belle and pulling her to the ground.

“Shadow saved you?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, he showed up and the timberwolves suddenly turned tail and ran. It was so awesome, but not as awesome as Rainbow Dash of course.” Scootaloo said excitedly.

“Yeah, he used his powers and scared off the timberwolves before they could do anything to us.” Apple Bloom said happily.

“Oh, well that’s good ta hear.” Applejack said hugging her sister. “…Wait… power? You three know about his power?! Who told ya?” She asked quite surprised. I have to say so was I.

“Well, it was you sis.” Apple Bloom answered. Applejack looked quite surprised. “Ya kinda talk in your sleep a bit.”

Applejack looked quite surprised and then reached up and pulled her hat over her eyes to try and hide her embarrassment. I on the other hoof burst out laughing. All the mares looked at me and I stopped laughing as best I could.

Then Twilight spoke. “Wait, but if you scared off the timberwolves that means your power was active, and that means the darkness was in control. How did they look and see it was you?”

At this I smiled a little. “Because I finally did it.” I answered. “I finally beat him. I was able to control him this time instead of the other way around.” I teleported again to where I had been standing on the hill before. “Right here, I finally found a way to beat him, and I have those three fillies to thank.” I said indicating to Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. “They finally pushed me over the edge, and I couldn’t take it anymore. Because of that I finally beat him.” I looked back to the mares and saw their bittersweet smiles, and then I dropped my smile and my head. “I’m really sorry.” I said to them gaining their attention. “When I left I said it was to protect you, but truthfully I think it was more of a selfish reason that pushed me over the edge. I had caused a lot of pain to all of you, and I couldn’t stand to see any of you in anymore pain. I… I hope you can forgive me.” I finished lowering my head ever further mostly so I didn’t have to look them in the eyes in my humiliated state.

“Shadow?” I heard Rainbow say and I looked back up at her. What I saw was a mixture of hate, happiness, worry, and fear. She turned to Twilight and gave her a pleading look. Twilight gave a short nod and started to push everypony back out of the forest, after some protests from three fillies it was finally just Rainbow, Skies, and me in the forest.

I looked back and forth between the two hoping to see any kind of forgiveness, but right now I saw none. “Do you know how long you were gone for?” Skies finally asked with an angry tone. I lowered my head shaking it at the same time. “You were gone for almost three weeks. I didn’t know what to think.” Skies said as she started to cry. I started to take a step closer to her, but she turned away from me. That really hurt me, like a hit straight through my heart.

Rainbow stepped forward now. “You really caused a lot of grief, you know that right?” She asked and I nodded my head. “After all the things that happened between us, between all of us, you just decided to up and leave. You didn’t even give a real good-bye.” Rainbow said stepping towards me. I saw that she had some tears starting to form in her eyes and I lowered my head even further. I felt terrible. I had tried to do what I had thought would’ve kept them out of harm’s way the most, but it seems that I just really messed this all up.

I slowly turned around. “I understand… if- if you want me to go I will.” I said trying to keep my voice from breaking. I could feel that my eyes were starting to water as well.

“No!” Skies and Rainbow both said.

I turned back around. “But all I’ve done is make you both upset, something that I had hoped would never happen.” I said trying to wipe my eyes.

“That doesn’t mean we want you to go.” Skies told me.

“Yeah, that’s what friendship is about. Staying strong in the good times as well as the bad.” She said with a small smile which she dropped when she started speaking again. “I’m not going to lie. It’s not going to be easy to put this whole ordeal behind us. We may never completely, but I at least want to try. Because-because I’ve missed you.” Rainbow said finally stepping close to me and wrapping her hooves around my neck. I soon felt Skies doing the same and I let a small smile come through.

“Alright.” I said to them bringing up my hooves and putting them around them. “I missed you too. I missed all of you.” I said with a small smile. “Even the ones that enjoy eavesdropping on other ponies conversations!” I said loud enough for the group who I had sensed sitting in the bushes to hear clearly. The small gasps were enough to tell me I had succeeded and I gave a small chuckle.

Rainbow flew over quickly and parted the bushes revealing the small group that had been led outside. “Twilight! I thought you were going to keep them outside the forest.” She said.

“Well, I was but then I thought about if he was just trying to trick us so that he might get away again so I decided it would be best if I just watched so I could stop him if her tried and um- well uh.”

I let out a chuckle that everyone heard and turned their attention towards me. “Don’t lie Twilight.” I said with a small smile. “You just let Rarity convince you how nice it would be to actually watch us kiss and make up.” I said to her. By her look of surprise it seems like I hit the mark on the dot. Soon enough both Rainbow and Skies started to laugh, then I joined in, and finally the rest of the group. Soon enough we stopped laughing and I had a smile on my face. That moment wasn’t really that much, but it was enough to tell me that maybe, just maybe, there was a chance that things might be able to return to normal again… well normal for us.

Author's Note:

On another note.
I've got a very interesting surprise planned for next chapter... No it's not a Pinkie party. That reminds me,
PinkieShie598 don't you dare give any spoilers. If you do I swear on the sun, the moon, and that strangely shaped piece of lint I found this morning. I will break you.
That is all.
~Black Light

PreviousChapters Next