• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,158 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,158

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I walked down the hallway; it was late in the night the princesses and I had been discussing how to deal with Discord. I let out a large yawn I really needed to get some sleep.

A scream echoed down the hallway, I felt myself running faster. I knew that scream, that was Skies’ scream. I heard it coming from our room, so I ran; I ran and kicked down the door. The room was in chaos. There were papers laying all around, the drawers were thrown all about, many of the tables had been flipped, the bed sheets had been torn and were hanging from the ceiling. I saw Skies sitting in the middle of the room with tears in her eyes. I came over and brought her into a hug. I was a little bit relieved, she was just scared, I was afraid that she had been hurt. I heard a rustling behind me. I turned my head and saw the girls waiting in the doorway. They had no idea what was happening, and neither did I. I looked around the room it seemed to be just destroyed, but why would somepony come into my room just to destroy it. I looked around once more and noticed that something was missing. The book I had taken from the library was nowhere in sight. That was why they were here. The Shadow Servers were here, and they didn’t want me reading that book. I would’ve chased after them, but I couldn’t leave Skies right now. I’ll have to let them go for now.

“What happened here?” Rainbow asked as she walked up next to me.

“The Shadow Servers.” I answered. I saw Rainbow’s reaction and I brought one hoof up to comfort her.

“I thought you dealt with them.” Twilight said.

“I didn’t think it would be that simple. They’ve been around for years, even before I was born. I didn’t think it would be that easy to disband them.” I responded.

“But why? Why would they come here?” Rainbow asked.

“The book I found in the library. Apparently they don’t want me reading it.” I answered.

“So they did all this for a book?” Rainbow responded.

“You would be surprised by the power books can hold.” I told her, I noticed a nod from Twilight.

“How did they get in though?” Twilight asked.

“That is a good question, my student.” A voice said from the door. I looked over and saw the princess. She had a very serious look, but she still gave off a feeling of comfort.

“A question for another time though.” I said. “For now, I think we should just find another room.”

Celestia nodded and called a servant to prepare another room. We followed her to another room. I brought Skies in and put her on the bed. I stayed by her side until she finally fell asleep. I tucked her into bed and walked out onto the balcony. I closed the balcony doors and spread my wings. I flew up till I was above the castle. I sat down on a cloud and looked up at the stars.

“Something’s bothering you isn’t it.” A voice said from behind me.

I turned to look behind me and saw Rainbow hovering next to the cloud. “Yeah, something is.” I responded looking back towards the sky.

“Do you want to talk about it?” She asked sitting down next to me.

“Not really, but I know I should.” I answered. “That book could possibly be the only thing that has answers about who I am. I want to go after them to try and get it back, but I can’t leave now.”

“Why not, just go after them? You could easily find them.” Rainbow said

“Yes I could, but they got into the castle without anypony noticing. I can’t leave now. If I do, then if they come back I won’t be here to help protect you, Skies, or any of the girls.” I responded.

“Hey, we’re stronger than you think. We can take care of ourselves. You shouldn’t worry about it.” Rainbow told me.

“Well I can’t help it. Skies is my sister, you’re my marefriend, and the girls are quite likely the first real friends I’ve ever had. How can I not worry about any of you?” I responded.

Rainbow leaned on me. “Shadow, you’ve done a lot for all of us. I’m sure the others will agree, but you never really do anything for yourself.”

“That’s because I’ve never needed anything. I’ve learned to deal with hardships, so I’ve never needed help dealing with them.” I responded. “I can tell you’re scared. You don’t want me to go, but you also want to tell me to do what you think I want to do.”

“Why do you have to go inside my head?” Rainbow asked.

“I didn’t.” I answered. “I just know you well enough.” I gave her a smile which she returned. She put her head on my shoulder.

“So what happens now?” She asked.

“Well, now life goes on.” I told her. “There’s no reason for us to change because of this.”

“How do you always just brush these things off?” Rainbow asked.

“A heart of cold iron.” I answered. “When you go through hardships you just start to block things out.”

“So you don’t let anything get close to you?” She asked.

“I let you.” I responded muzzling her.

“I suppose so.” She said through a yawn.

“Tired?” I asked.

“A little.” She answered.

“Want to go back down to the castle?”

“No… let’s just stay here.” She responded.

“Okay.” I said laying my head back down on the cloud with Rainbow.

Rainbow curled her body into mine and soon she was asleep. I stared at the stares a bit longer before I started to feel sleep overtake me. I gave in and let my eyes shut. When I opened my eyes again I was sitting in a meadow. It was time for the nightmares again. I looked around but saw nothing. This was unusual; normally I’m in the middle of a nightmare not a meadow. How can a meadow be a nightmare? I sat in the meadow for the longest time simply watching as the clouds above drifted by. I ended up smiling as the cool, crisp air blew through my mane. For once I wasn’t running from the nightmares. For once I was dreaming. For once I wasn’t sad to have fallen asleep. I stayed in the meadow for the rest of the time before I woke up.

I opened my eyes and found myself staring at the sky. I looked around and saw that Rainbow was no longer next to me. I looked over the side of the cloud and saw a colorful blur moving through the sky. It seems Rainbow was already up and active. I smiled and put my head back down on the cloud and enjoyed the silence of the moment. I heard flapping behind me and I turned my head. Rainbow was hovering next to the cloud. I gave her a smile and stretched my own wings. I started flapping my wings until I was hovering next to her. I was about to say good morning to her, but my stomach spoke for me by growling loudly.

“Hungry?” Rainbow asked.

“No, I just ate a manticore and now he wants out.” I answered sarcastically.

Rainbow gave a small laugh. “Come on; let’s go get something to eat.”

“Alright.” I said with a small chuckle.

We started our descent back down the castle gates. I was smiling as we dropped lower and lower.

“You seem much happier than normal.” Rainbow told me.

“Do I?” I responded. “I guess it’s all because of the dream I had last night.”

“Don’t you normally have nightmares?” Rainbow asked. “What nightmare would make you happier?”

“The one where it’s not a nightmare.” I told her. She looked at me confused. “I didn’t have a nightmare. For once it wasn’t a nightmare, and it was my own.”

“So first you stopped having other pony’s nightmares, and started having your own. Now you’re not having nightmares all together?” Rainbow asked I thought for a moment and nodded. “Is it possible you’re losing your power then?”

I froze. Was I losing my power? Is that why my dreams have been becoming different? I closed my eyes and opened my mind to the world. I felt the fears and other emotions throughout the town. My power was still just as powerful as before. There was no difference, so why are my dreams becoming different. I felt something in my head. I could tell it was the darkness, but it wasn’t like he was trying to escape. It was more like he was just showing he was still there. It was like he was laughing at me. Did he know what was happening? Something tells me I should talk to the princesses about this. Hopefully they can answer my questions, or at least give some ideas.

I was scared. This was one of the few times that I was feeling my own fear. All these changes and I have no idea what’s happening. If I lose my power, who would I be? My power is what makes me special, if I lose it... would I become nothing?

PreviousChapters Next