• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 1,930 Views, 309 Comments

The Pony That Fell From The Sky - Zurvan



When Sweetie Belle saves a young colt's life Ponyville may never be the same

  • ...
10
 309
 1,930

Reunited

Chapter 25: Reunited

“Winter Spark?” Scootaloo asks. “Is it really you.”

Winter smiles. “Of course it is, Scootaloo.”

“What are you doing back in Ponyville?”

‘I asked my mom to bring me.” Winter says and he nods towards a purple unicorn mare coming off the train.

Scootaloo smiles. “You been adopted long?”

“A year now.” Winter answers. “You still at the orphanage?”

Scootaloo shakes her head. “I finally got adopted a few months ago.”

“I’m sorry it took so long.” Winter says.

“It’s fine, let me meet your mom.”

Winter nods and takes Scootaloo to his mom. “Hey mom, this is her, my best friend Scootaloo.”

“We’ve met before.” She says.

“We have?” Scootaloo asks as she looks at the mare trying to recognize her.

The mare leans in close to Scootaloo and whispers. “We helped you with your nightmares.”

Scootaloo’s eyes open wide when she realizes to who she is talking. “Princess..”

The mare puts her hoof to Scootaloo’s muzzle and shakes her head. “My name is Nightshade, probably not the best nom de plume, but I like it.”

Scootaloo nods. “Nice to see you again Miss Nightshade.”

“Thank you.” ‘Nightshade’ answers. “I have business in town, why don’t you two get reacquainted?”

“That sounds good.” Winter says.

“How will we find you?” Scootaloo asks,

“Winter will know when I want to see him, and he knows how to find me when I call him.” ‘Nightshade’ answers and then heads for the shops.

“So who adopted you Scoots?” Winter asks.

“Fluttershy.” Scootaloo answers.

“Isn’t she the one that found me?” Winter asks.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo answers. “Did you know I was in Canterlot during the invasion?”

“I heard something about three fillies showing up and the guards taking care of them.” Winter says. “Was that you?”

“That was me, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. We call ourselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders, we’re a group dedicated to getting our cutie marks.” Scootaloo answers. “Speaking of which I noticed you got yours.”

“After I left here I was tutored in magic under Princess Celestia for awhile, and then Princess Luna returned. Princess Celestia decided it might be a good idea for the two of us to meet since our situations were so similar. It’s a good thing she did, we became quick friends and she asked to take over my studies within a week of meeting me. By the end of the month she found out I was an orphan and she adopted me.” Winter explains.

“What does that have to do with your cutie mark?”

“I’m getting there.” Winter says. “Mother decided it was time for me to learn how to create fire with my magic, but for some reason I couldn’t get it right, I just couldn’t get the flame started. Mother got frustrated and left me with a book on fire spells. While reading the book of spells I came across a mention of a mystical kind of fire called cold fire, something few unicorns could summon, but those that could all had an issue summoning regular fire. So I read the instructions, and summoned the cold fire. Later that day when mother returned I told her I had something to show her, and once again summoned the cold fire and proceeded to make it move about for her. Mother gasped, it was then I realized that I’d gotten my cutie mark, my talent is summoning and controlling cold fire.”

"I've never heard of cold fire before."

"It's very rare." Winter says. "Come here, let me show you." He pulls her off into an alley. "Watch this." His horn glows and a ball of blue and white fire appears on the ground.

Scootaloo jumps back away from the fire exclaiming as she does. "Woah!"

"It's alright." Winter reassures her. "It won't burn you."

Scootaloo slowly creeps toward the fire and reaches out a hoof to touch it. She quickly draws her hoof back. "It's cold."

Winter chuckles. "Why do you think they call it cold fire?"

“That was more like ice than fire.”

“It is.” Winter says. “I’ve been using it in our ice box at home.”

“And that works?”

“Better than ice, and I can make it last a month without recasting the fire.”

Scootaloo whistles. “Damn, Winter you could make some serious bits putting this in ice boxes.”

“I honestly hadn’t thought about that.” Winter admits.

“Might be something to think about.”

Winter nods. “I will.”

“Good.”

“Care to show me this new castle that I hear has sprung up since I left?”

“Yeah. come on!” Scootaloo says as she walks over to her scooter.

“I can’t believe you still have that thing.”

“It was my dad’s, ” Scootaloo says. “I’ll never get rid of it.”

“I take it that means you still can’t fly?”

Scootaloo shakes her head. “Fluttershy says that there’s a small chance that my wings will still grow out, but the odds are against it.”

“Why didn’t they grow before?”

“Turns out pegasi need to have a different diet to encourage wing growth. Matron Mercy didn’t know this, and was feeding me like I was an earth pony. That stunted my wing growth, making it where I can’t fly.”

“You seem to be taking this very well.”

“Can’t say as I’ve given up the idea of flying, but I’ve learned to accept the fact that I may not. Also I get around pretty well on my scooter, so that helps a little.”

“Care to show me what you can do on it?”

“Are you serious?”

“Of course I’m serious.” Winter answers. “You were pretty good on that thing when I was here last, I’m sure you only got better. Show me what you’ve got..”

“What about the castle?”

“I don’t think it’s going anywhere.”

“I don’t know, it did just magically appear.”

Winter chuckles. “I think I’ll take my chances, now show me what you got.”

“Fine.” Scootaloo says. “Let’s go to the park, I’ll show you there.”

“Fair enough.” Winter says and the two of them head toward the park. As they walk and talk suddenly Scootaloo stops. “Scoots?”

“Hush.” Scootaloo says. “I hear something.” She pushes her scooter to Winter and walks into the woods. “Somepony there?”

“Go away!” A female pony shouts from a bush.

Scootaloo approaches the bush and recognizes the pony. “Silver Spoon? What are you doing here?” Silver looks at Scootaloo, her eyes red from crying.

“Scoots?” Winter asks as he comes to check on her.

Silver pushes herself back into the bush. “Hey, Winter why don’t you go on ahead? I’ll catch up in a minute.”

“Yeah, no problem.” Winter says then heads off.

“So even you have a coltfriend I see.” Silver says angrily.

“He’s not my coltfriend.” Scootaloo says. “He’s not my type.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before.” Silver says.

“What’s the matter?”

Silver sighs. “You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“It’s a relationship thing.”

“I didn’t think you were in one.”

“I.. I have this thing for Diamond.” Silver admits. “But Diamond, well Diamond likes Apple Bloom, and now Diamond and Apple Bloom are a couple.”

“Apple Bloom and Diamond are together?”

“Yeah.” Silver says. “Diamond couldn’t be happier.”

“Sometimes you just have to be happy for the one you love and try and move on.” Scootaloo says.

“What do you know about it?”

Scootaloo sighs. “I had a crush on Sweetie Belle.”

“So when you said that colt wasn’t your type?”

“I was being literal.” Scootaloo says. “I like fillies, and apparently so do you.”

“Yeah.” Silver says then sniffles. “I guess the secret’s out, huh?”

“I guess mine is too.” Scootaloo says.

Silver chuckles. “I won’t tell if you won’t”

Scootaloo nods. “Look, I was going to show my friend Winter some of my scooter tricks, why don’t you join us?”

“You know what? I think I’d like that.” Silver Spoon says as she wipes her face off with a fore-hoof and then gets up.

Scootaloo and Silver walk to the park where Winter is sitting on a bench, Scootaloo’s scooter leaning against the bench. “Scoots.”

“Winter, this is my friend Silver Spoon.” Scootaloo says. “Silver, this is my good friend Winter Spark.”

“Nice to meet you.”Silver says as she sits next to Winter.

“Same here.” Winter says.

Scootaloo grabs her scooter. “Ready to see me be awesome?”

“Go for it Scoots!” Winter shouts.

Silver nods. “Yes, go for it.”

“Alright.” Scootaloo says as she gets on her scooter and buzzes her wings and starts showing off what she can do.

“She’s pretty good.” Silver admits.

“Yes, she is.” Winter says as he watches her.

“You like her, don’t you?”

Winter chuckles. “I do, but not like you’re thinking.”

“What do you mean?”

“I see her as my sister.”

“That makes sense.” Silver says as they watch Scootaloo.

“So how about you and Scootaloo?”

Silver blushes. “We’re barely even friends, I don’t know about a relationship. Though I'm not against the idea.”

“Something for you to think about.”

“I will.”

They turn their attention back to Scootaloo just as she lands an impressive trick. “Yes, nailed it!” Scootaloo says as she goes back to them.

“That was rather impressive.” Winter says.

“Yes, it was.” Silver says.

“Thanks, I’ve been practicing.” Scootaloo says. “That was the first time I did that trick successfully.”

“You know what we should do?” Winter asks, getting both the fillies attention. “We should go eat.”

“I can’t.” Scootaloo says. “I don’t have any bits.”

“I’ll pay for everypony.” Winter says. “My mom gives me plenty of bits.”

Scootaloo nods. “That works.” They all head toward a restaurant when Winter stops. “Winter?”

“My mom’s calling me.”

Silver looks at Winter confused. “What do you mean?”

“My mom sends a magical signal to me, telling me she wants me to come. It has a directional pull to it.”

“How can you tell it’s your mom?” Silver asks. “Couldn’t it be any unicorn?”

Winter smiles slightly. “Each unicorn’s magic has a different feel to it.”

“Really?”

Winter nods. “Have you even been touched by unicorn magic?”

“Yes.” Silver says. “Rarity had to use her magic on me when she was measuring me and Diamond for dresses.”

Winter’s horn glows. “May I?”

Silver nods and then she briefly feels his magic touch her cheek. “It’s cold.”

“Do you remember how Rarity’s felt?”

“No, but it wasn’t cold.”

“I’m used to the feeling of my mom’s magic, so I know when she’s calling me.” Winter says. “I really need to go.”

Silver nods in understanding. “Okay.”

“Take care Winter.” Scootaloo says as she hugs Winter.

“You too Scoots.” Winter says as he hugs back, then after they break the hug he looks to Silver. “You take care too, okay Silver Spoon?”

“I will.” Silver says as they watch Winter walk off.

“So what do you want to do?”

“I won’t mind eating.”

“You go ahead. I’m broke, remember?”

“I could pay for you.”

“I couldn’t ask you to do that.”

“What if we called it a date?”

“Silver Spoon, are you asking me out?”

“Would you say yes if I was?

Scootaloo nods. “Sure, I’ll go to dinner with you.”

“Good, let’s go.” Silver says as they walk toward the restaurant.