• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Wasteland Survival Guide: Minefield Part 2 - The Hike (Along With A New Companion)

As the sun shone over the horizon over the ruins of D.C, me and Rainbow were walking side by side over the hills just outside of Megaton near Super Duper Mart where we encountered a couple of Raiders standing at both sides of the main entrances. One armed with a 10mm submachine gun and the other with a Chinese pistol. Why does the day always start out like this?

Out of all the things to run into in the Wasteland, we always manage to run into a pack of Raiders! I took out my machine gun and took aim at the Raider's head, trying to keep the gun steady as I did so and then I fired. The echo of the shot caught his attention and the second he moved his head to turn to where I fired, the bullet tore through his skin between his eyes and out the back of his head with a sickening splat. Of course, this didn't go unheard by the other Raider who was instantly alerted and began searching with his pistol.

''Who's there?! Come out and fight!'' He yelled maniacally as he walked towards the area where the other Raider now lays with his face in a pool of blood.

As he turned around the corner, he saw me and knocked me to the floor with the side of his pistol, causing my cheek to turn red from the hit, along with my teeth feeling a bit cracked where the I felt the impact. He aimed the pistol at my face and laughed, and just before he could pull the trigger and end my life, Rainbow unexpectedly slashed through the back of his neck with her sword, immediately causing him to drop to the floor in a splat of blood as he head came off, also spraying some of his blood on my face.

''Holy...!'' Was all I managed to say when I stared at Rainbow with my mouth slightly agape. She sure was good with the sword.

She pulled me up with her hoof, not once taking her gaze off the Raider she killed.

''I...I...I killed someone...'' She said quietly in a scared tone.

She looked at her sword, seeing the blood splattered blade with a few droplets falling from the tip of the blade and hitting the floor and she dropped it.

''What have I done..?''

''Rainbow, it's alright. He was going to kill us. You were only defending us, not murdering. Don't worry about it, Dashie.'' I placed a hand to her shoulder, caressing it with my thumb as I looked into her eyes and gave her a small hug.

''C'mon, lets just move on. We still have a long way to go.''

''Yeah...yeah. Okay..'' She shakily nodded and looked at me with a frown.

We both moved on without saying anything further, and as we got further away from the Super Duper Mart, it started getting quiet and boring, so since I had my Pip-Boy on me, I tuned it into Galaxy News Radio. Even though we could hear static in the background of the music, it was still nice to have something to listen to other than the whisps of the wind that blew sand around in any direction.

We both hummed to the music, Rainbow not knowing the words, just humming randomly to it whereas I hummed each and every word since I knew the song. It was Let's Go Sunning by Billie Holiday.

Eventually, we reached the bridge at the end of the road that had a small, irradiated river underneath it, and unsurprisingly, the bridge was collapsed and in the water, with very little parts still standing, including supports, along with various cars of different brands that were both on the remainders of the bridge and in the water. Remembering when Dashie got poisoned by radiation, I told her it would be best if she flew over. As for me, well, I guess I was just gonna have to go through the water and try to avoid radiation whenever I could if there were things to climb over.

''Rainbow?''

''Yeah?''

''Just wait here a minute, I need to check how irradiated this water is before we decide on what we're gonna do.''

''Okay.''

I went down to the edge of the water and put my arm in it, so my Pip-Boy was covered in the water to detect the radiation limit. Withing the second of placing my hand in the green water, the Geiger counter started ticking and read just above one rads per second. It should be fairly safe to go through without absorbing too much of the radiation to kill me or Rainbow.

''Rainbow!'' I shouted over to her. ''We can go through it, but you're gonna have to fly across, I don't want to risk losing you again.''

''Gotcha!'' She flapped her wings, and blasted into the air within a second and got to the other side of the bridge in an instant.

''Whoa...'' I whispered to myself. ''That was fuckin' fast...''

''Are ya comin' across or what, slowpoke?'' She called over to me with a smirk and a wave.

''Hold on there, speedy. I'm coming.''

I walked through the water, setting my Geiger counter off the second my body hits the water. For once I was lucky the radiation level wasn't high, unlike the time I had to get irradiated for Moira's ''Science'' experiment. God, that was something that I'll never forget, not to mention when I get advanced radiation poisoning, my limbs regenerate from a weird mutation side affect.

I climbed atop cars and rubble, unfortunately, mostly getting irradiated even more for a short while as I moved from rubble pile to car, but got to the end with only minor radiation poisoning. It's lucky that I had a few sachets of RadAway to get the rads out of my system. I pushed the surgical tubing into the top of the sachet and stuck the other into my arm, squeezing the orange liquid through the tubing and into my arm to flush the rads out my system. When I took the tubing out and threw the sachet aside, I could feel the RadAway burning inside my blood stream for a short period of seconds and it subsided. Dashie watched me cringing at the burn and I could see concern in her eyes, thinking something went wrong.

''What was that stuff you put through your arm?''

''Ugh...Hmm. Huh? Oh, its called RadAway. We use them to take radiation out of our systems if we absorb too much to be poisoned by it. Fuck, it burns a little, though.''

''You were irradiated? Like...Minorly?''

''Yeah.''

''I don't get that. I mean, when I was irradiated, I was unconscious and you had to bring me to the clinic. Why don't you be that way when you get irradiated?''

''Huh. Never thought about that. Well, my only conclusion is that you're not used to being poisoned with radiation sickness, whereas I am. I've been living out here for about 6 months now and have been irradiated lots of times. The first time, I was puking everywhere and constantly feeling light headed. I remembering fainting and waking up with a scavenger at my side. She told me that she saved my life. Looking on the bright side, at least I lived and met you.'' I smiled at Rainbow who blushed a deep red.

''And you saved my life. Twice. I'll never forget what you did for me. I love you, Brady.'' She smiled sweetly at me along with her beautiful magenta eyes fixed on my blue eyes. It felt like I was lost in her soul.

''I love you too, Dashie. You're the best thing that ever happened to me. If you were to of died in that clinic from the radiation, I think that it wouldn't just of killed you, but me too. I don't ever want to lose you.''

As I stared at her gorgeous eyes, lost in her soul and loving grasp, she pounced on top of me, knocking me to the floor. She stood over me and looked deeper into my eyes, and as she looked, she never took her gaze off me and moved down to my ear then whispered.

''I love you, Brady. Next time we camp someplace, why don't we have some ''fun''?''

I froze. Was she really being serious about it? D-Did she mean something else by ''fun'' or was she actually meaning sex? Before I could think, she took my mind off of my thoughts by making contact with my lips and making out with me. I soon found myself letting out muffled moans of pleasure as our tongues danced. After a while, she broke from the kiss and looked me in the eye with lust in her own eyes.

''So that's how you feel about me?'' I asked, panting softly for air as I also never took my eyes off hers.

''Oh, I've not even started yet.'' She lovingly licked my cheek and kissed me on the lips before getting off my chest, releasing her weight so I could breathe normally again.

I really wasn't expecting that to happen, or her to say she wants to have ''fun'' with me when we set up camp...


Despite my and Rainbow's ''moment'', I don't just like her...I like like her. A whole lot. I've now known her for about 6 months and we are already growing so close together. Since my time of leaving the vault, I never ever thought I'd find someone or in her terms, somepony to take a liking to and become close together. I think it finally happened. The Wasteland to me was full of crime and depression as well as murder and bloodshed of mutated and non mutated beings that only life to kill for survival, but love?

This beautiful little pony has definitely changed my heart around forever. Who knew love could still exist? Well, for me, it has.

After crossing the bridge, we continued walking for what seemed like a couple of hours. It was getting dark now, and near damn impossible to see anything in the pitch black that soon took over our vision of the road. The only thing to make it so I and Dashie could see is the light from my Pip-Boy. For a 200-year-old piece of tech, the light was brighter than expected. Even though I never used it and the material was all battered up with scratches and markings, it still functioned perfectly and shone brighter than 10 light bulbs.

When we got further on in our path, we came across a scrapyard that had mountains of thousands of cars, crushed and non crushed. There was all types of cars stacked on top one another, including buses. There was a small shack made entirely of metal and scrap with a scrap metal door for an entrance along with a dimly shining light glowing and illuminating the small porch.

We entered cautiously and had my gun at my trigger finger, Rainbow grasping her sword tightly in her cyan hooves. As we got deeper to the center of the scrapyard, we heard what sounded like screams of agony followed by gunshots and angry barks and growls. We looked around the corner of a crushed car and a Raider's body was thrown aside with a thud ending his last scream. He was covered almost entirely in his own blood and his armor had a few scratch marks and multiple bite marks all over the plating while his blast master helmet was torn at the neck with an open wound still oozing where his wind pipe once was.

I jumped back, startled and stared at the body in wonder. What could of done that? I thought. More gun shots were heard and a squeal of pain that sounded like a dog cried through the air. We both went around the corner and we saw...a dog?

I watched in awe as a Raider came at it with a combat shotgun but soon was thrown to the floor in defeat by the dog and had his arm ripped off. At my side, Rainbow's watched with her mouth agape and as she saw the dog tear the Raider's arm off, she puked on the floor in disgust. Well, it was the first time she'd seen this much blood, but to me it wasn't any different from my previous travels I had before I knew her.

Once that Raider went down with a slat of blood on the floor, the dog noticed us and walked over to us, whimpering as it did so. He seemed to be hurt, or so I assumed from the condition he was currently in. He had blood covering his fur and his coat was black and gray underneath. Unlike any other dogs I seen in the Wastes on my travels, he is probably the healthiest looking dog I've come across.

''You alright, boy?'' I asked the dog quietly. (God, why am I talking to a dog anyway? Not like he can understand me. Or could he?)

My answer was a quiet whine. He looked up at me with saddened eyes and I patted him on the head, causing him to wag his tail.

As I looked behind the stray dog, I saw a man in a trading outfit dead on the floor in a pool of blood whom also had a lot of bullet holes in his chest.

''You lost your master, boy?''

He whined, his ears flopping back over his head.

Rainbow looked at him but didn't say anything. He looked at her and gave a growl as quiet as a whisper, making Dash flinch and take a few steps backwards, the dog not taking his eyes off of her. I grabbed his neck by his thick fur and gently yanked him back before he managed to bite her.

''No! Bad! Don't bite, there's a good boy.'' I demanded, to where he stopped growling and gave yet another whine.

''Ugh. That's why I never have a dog as my pet. They always try to bite me.'' Rainbow said sourly as she looked at the dog with a hint of anger.

''Easy, Rainbow. He's never seen a pony before. A very pretty one of course. Looks like love at first bite.'' I teased, earning a knock on the arm with one of her hooves, followed by a blush.

''You know what, boy? Why don't you come with us? I can't leave you out here alone without someone to take care of you.''

He barked happily and wagged his tail as he brushed his fury cheek against me leg as I stroked his fuzzy back.

''I think I'm gonna call you...Dogmeat.''

PreviousChapters Next