• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Forever and Always - Extended Version

Through the events of what had happened at Tenpenny Tower, me and Rainbow Dash decided to go back to Megaton to get away from Tenpenny. There is two reasons for it, actually. One being that Dash knocked him out by clocking him in the jaw and the second being he nearly sent me to my death, scheming it off as a ''test of my strengths and weaknesses''. On the walk back, I did notice that some of my blood was still visible on the dusted ground. I cringed at the sight. It even got me thinking to myself, ''How am I even alive if I bled that much? Surely I didn't get a blood pack? They or me don't even know my blood type...''

''Why are we back here?'' Rainbow asked, almost cautiously.

''Because its safer than being in a tower filled with security guards who would shoot us because you punched Mister Tenpenny to the floor. By the way, thanks for that.'' I chuckled lightly.

''Hehe. My pleasure. The punk deserved that for nearly sending you to your death.''

As we talked upon entry, we were stopped almost immediately by Lucas Simms. He came up to us, looking like he was in disbelief at my appearance. He looked between me and Rainbow a few times, trying to speak but nothing came out but a few inaudible whispers.

''B-Brady! You're okay! I-I thought you were killed in that fight at Moriarty's Saloon? What the hell happened?''

''Well...to make it short and simple, Burke stabbed me and I nearly bled to death, but clear enough, I didn't because I'm still here. A guard called Gustavo saved me.'' I explained to Lucas, still holding his dumbfound expression.

''So where have you been then? Most or pretty much all citizens here thought that you died! Everyone was upset about it, especially Moira. And hell, did she take some time to calm down.'' He said, rolling his eyes at the memory.

''I'll go talk to her soon. And to answer your question, I've been at Tenpenny Tower just after me and Rainbow both got enslaved at Paradise Falls, and unsurprisingly enough, Tenpenny bought us both, just so he could send me to my own near-death experience. I'm just glad to be back, and this time for good.''

Without saying anything more, I continued walking to my house, only to be grabbed by the arm by Lucas, making me turn around and look him dead into his serious eyes.

''Before you go, I don't want you starting any more fuss or bar-fights. That clear?''

''Yeah, I hear you. Not my thing, anyway.''


Upon entering my house, I went straight up the metal staircase and down to the far end of the balcony where my My First Infirmary
was set up. I sat down on a chair next to it and searched the medical supply box for a spare syringe of Med-X to calm down my still very pained body. Looking at myself in a small piece of broken mirror, I saw my eyes still had pale black bags underneath them. and my lip split at the side, being the cause of the blood in and around my mouth. I found a spare syringe, seeing that it was full and inserted the tip of the needle into my arm, injecting the blue liquid into my blood flow. The pain seemed to subside within moments of it being injected.

As I sat there in the chair, Rainbow came fluttering up beside me and set herself down gently next to me, looking at my glum facial expression with some concern. She looked into my pale eyes and gently stroked my cheek with her soft, cyan hoof.

''You feeling any better? You still look a little pale...''

''Y-Yeah, I'm alright, Rainbow. I've had worse than this. I'll be fine.'' I said, hoping to assure her, but I could tell she wasn't buying it.

''You sure? I'm not convinced that you are.''

''Rainbow...seriously, you worry too much about me. I won't die from it, it just takes a while to get back to normal if you don't use a stimpack or Med-X. Don't worry about me.''

She stopped stroking my cheek as I pulled her into a hug, rubbing my cheek into her own, feeling its softness was enough to make me feel relaxed. Its times like these that make me wonder. Will she always be here? Will she go back to Equestria? Can she cope without me? God, I hope she'll be fine, no matter what. The only thing I wanted more is for her to be happy, but it does kind of get to me that she worry's too much about me whenever I'm hurt or bleeding. I mean, those injuries are easy enough to cure, but the heartache of losing Dash to something or if she goes back would just be so unbearable it would possibly kill me if it happened.
I just hope nothing bad happens to her...or me. Without me, she'd be so vulnerable. So helpless and defenseless.

''I'm sorry, Rainbow.''

She didn't break from the hug, but instead just looked up as she held me tight.

''Sorry? For what?''

''For everything. I've put you through so many things and danger that I'm afraid I'll lose you one day because of my doings. I just want you to stay with me. If I didn't have you, I'd be nothing. A nobody. All I'd have is my guilt. I want you to understand.''

''Understand what?''

''That I love you.''

She didn't need to respond. Instead she broke from the hug and gently planted a kiss to my lips.

''I love you, too. And, I don't think that I could bare it if I lost you, either.''

''Hey, Rainbow?''

''Yeah?''

As my response, I pulled Dashie closer and kissed her passionately on her lips, not braking from it for a couple minutes as we enjoyed each others embrace. I looked in her pretty magenta eyes, seeing a small twinkle within them, unmistakably tears glistening in her eyes.

''Why are you crying?''

''Its just...your so sweet...a-and I've never actually b-been in love before. Where I'm from, I used to be s-single all my life. Here, I'm different. I'm actually happy when I'm with you.''

My heart literally melted at her words. She was happy to be with me. I was happy to be with her. I wouldn't have life any other way right now. All things are great the way they are, as long as I got a pretty mare such as Dashie by my side. And honestly, I felt all the same about her.

''Rainbow...I...I don't know what to say...'' I said in awe as a tear of happiness slid down my cheek.

''Don't say anything, Brady. I love you, and I want to keep things the way they are.'' Dash said as she kissed me before looking back into my eyes. ''Do you?''

''Yes, Dashie. Yes I do. No matter what happens between us, just remember I'll always love you and that I'll never stop loving you.''


Morning spread across the Wasteland in a beautiful orange glow, rays of light coming in from small openings and cracks in the metal wall of the house and shining on both mine and Rainbow's faces. When I awoke from the pretty light heating up my cheek in a soothing heat, I found that me and Rainbow were cuddling each other in each others arms close. She remained asleep when I awoke. I smiled at her sleeping form, seeing how beautiful she looked as she slept, her pretty rainbow mane bedraggled and messy, as was mine. In her sleep, she mumbled something as a small smile made its way across her face and she pulled me closer.

''Mmm...I love you..'' She said in a quiet voice, causing me to smile weakly.

I moved in closer, nuzzling her cheek as I caressed her mane with my hand softly as I felt her body's warmth against mine.

''I love you, too, Dashie.'' I whispered as I kissed her forehead.

At my voice, Rainbow's eye cracked open, looking at me before quickly snapping it shut and cringing a little bit pain.

''Ugh...w-what happened last night?''

THE NIGHT BEFORE

Me and Rainbow went to Moriarty's Saloon at around 5:00 at night for a few drinks, and the night turned out far better than I could of hoped. When we were inside, some of the people at the bar, including Gob and Nova shared a look of disbelief and wonder at my presence, and no doubt it was because they thought Burke had killed me. Well, even though I was back among them, all I wanted was a few drinks with Rainbow for a night out. We approached the bar, sitting next to each other. Close.
Gob came up to us and looked at us, but mostly Rainbow, who gave him the same expression I did when I first met him. It made me chuckle at the memory.

''B-Brady? I thought...''

''That I died?'' I finished for him with a raised brow.

''Yeah. From the looks of you, I thought you'd of died in minutes. Glad your alright, though.''

''Oh, and Gob, this is Rainbow.'' I motioned over to Rainbow who was still looking at Gob in disbelief at what she was seeing.

''H-Hi..'' She said in a slow tone as she waved a hoof.

''What? Never seen a ghoul before?''

''N-No..?'' Dash said awkwardly.

''Ah, well. This is what would happen to you if you get yourself as irradiated as I did when the war happened. Just consider yourself lucky you don't drop any body parts and have to get them sewn back on you. Nice to meet you, anyway, Rainbow. So, what'll it be, Brady?''

Gob said as he looked back to me.

''What do ya have?''

''Wait here.''

Gob went into the back of the saloon, closing the door behind him. Rainbow turned to me when he left and that look in her eyes said it all.

''What's a ghoul? Do you know him?''

''I thought you were gonna say that. Don't you remember that night when I went to this bar a while back? That's when I met him, and believe me, I was just as shocked as you to see someone such as him survived like that without going feral. That war 200 years ago is what made him like that. That's also one reason why I was scared when I got back that day and found you had radiation poisoning. It could spread easily.''

''So what was the second reason?''

''The second reason for it is because I loved you so much. I didn't want anything bad to happen to you.''

Her cheeks blushed at my statement. Without hesitation, she placed her hoof on top of my hand as she leaned next to me. In moments, Gob came back through the door carrying a topless wooden crate. He placed it on the bar counter and looked at me.

''Pick your poison, and for gods sake, go easy on them. These are quite strong, and believe me when I say too much would burn you liver like you never felt before.''

Slowly, I reached into the crate and pulled out two bottles and placed one in front of Rainbow as I inspected the label on the one I was holding while Rainbow did the same with hers.

Fire and Blood flavored whiskey

''Fire and Blood?'' I asked Gob in wonder with a raised eyebrow. ''What the hell is Fire and Blood? Is it some kind of special type of beer or something?''

''Ah, this crate of beer was found by Moriarty himself when he was out one time to buy a few things from a merchant or something. Like I said, be careful with them. They are quite rare and are around 50% alcohol. The last geezer who drunk this one burned his livers out.''

''So, how many are there? And above all, whats the cost?''

''The cost of one for you would only be like 20 caps. And I think there are like three types altogether.''

''Rainbow, what type do you have?''

''Uh...cherry and venom. Sounds pretty deadly though...''

''No, they aren't deadly. I wouldn't sell these if they were. I even tried them all, and the only thing I felt was a bad hangover.''

''Well, alright, maybe one round...''


''Rainbow, I think we'd had enough...''

''Oh? Whaddaya mean? We've only had l-like 20 rounds...I feel fine!'' Rainbow said, taking another swig of her beer and slamming it down on the bar table.

''Celestia, you're no fun...Applejack's cider gets me drunker quicker...''

''Dash. I think you should seriously stop drinking. ''

''Not until I'm satisfied!'' She shouted back, gulping down the whole bottle of Fire and Blood.

''Rainbow...'' I said sternly, grabbing her by the shoulders and meeting my gaze with her drunken magenta eyes. ''Stop. Now.''

''Jeez, okay, Brady...just having fun...''

And with that, Rainbow fainted into my arms with a loud sigh. I rolled my eyes. She is really going to regret this tomorrow when she wakes up...''


''Rainbow, you were drunk. When I brought you back here, I put you to bed just after you fainted. But I gotta say, I've never seen anyone - erm...anypony drink as much as you did.'' I said as I moved parts of her mane out of her eyes.

''Really? H-How much did I drink?''

''About twenty or thirty bottles.''

''Ah. Well that would explain the throbbing pain from my head. But how come you don't have a hangover? Didn't you drink?''

''Well...yeah, I did, but I only had two bottles. I didn't fancy getting drunk. Besides, if we were both incredibly drunk out our minds, I wouldn't be able to make sure I got you back safely.''

Rainbow smiled as she weakly opened her eyes and etched closer to my chest before cuddling me.

''You're just so sweet, Brady. Thank you.''

''That's alright, Rainbow. So, listen, I wanted to ask you something.''

''Hmm?''

''Well...do you ever think about going back? You know, to Equestria?''

''Yeah. Yeah, I do. I really do miss my friends. They're probably searching for me now. It really isn't the same without them here, Brady. They are the bestest friends a mare could ask for. I miss them so much...''

''Don't worry about it, Dash. I'm pretty sure you'll find a way to get back there, unless they find a way to get you back. Just remember I'll always be there for you if you need me, no matter what happens.''

PreviousChapters Next