• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,968 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,968

PreviousChapters Next
Through Rainbow's Eyes

Author's Note:

So far in this story, it had been in Oscar Brady's perspective, so as a change, this chapter is going to be through Rainbow's eyes. But do bear in mind it is for one chapter only! I may or might not publish another one in her eyes further through the story.

Lastly: Enjoy!

So the chapter is possibly the shortest chapter in the story, but hey, still something for you to read while things get interesting. The only problem is I need some ideas for what to do afterwards when the chapters get more intense and emotional. I dunno: say that Brady goes back to his vault with Rainbow, shall she find out his past. The Enclave come and terror reins the wasteland like never before. All of these are optional, but not for my tastes.

Never in my life did I think I could fall in love, but it has happened. I love Brady. But he's gone now. Gone back to Megaton to deal with someone called Mister Burke, leaving me alone in this bedroom. During the morning before he left, I had a nightmare about something terrible. Terrible enough that I didn't want to let go of him. Ever. I dreampt that when he went to Megaton after Burke and finally finding him afterwards, my worst fears happened. Burke killed Brady. Never before have I awoken after a dream to see the one I love in front of me, him sensing the love in my eyes as I detect it in his.

I have been crying all morning and pretty much the whole afternoon. The only thing that I found comforting about this morning is when I held tight to Brady's chest, sobbing uncontrollably, not wanting to let him go. But now, it has happened. Hes gone and I don't know if I will see him again.

Oh, listen to yourself, Rainbow! Of course he'll come back! He always comes back! You've gotta hold it together, Dash!

I fluttered over to the balcony, trying to find something else to focus my mind on, but look what it is: its a wasteland! Just about any and everything full of life and beauty are gone! The only thing lingering around in my mind was Brady! Every hour he didn't return seemed to eat away at my heart, incinerating it ever so slowly as I could feel myself starting to break.

As I stared over the balcony, watching the floor far below me, I saw something. Something that looked like two human figures coming slowly over the horizon. I squinted my eyes to get a better look, but still couldn't make it out to confirm who I thought it was. After moments of waiting, I squinted again, this time seeing who it was, but what he looked like made my heart sink.
It was Brady. He was being carried by what looked like one of Mister Tenpenny's guards. Underneath him, I could clearly see a trail of red dripping onto the sandy floor and it looked to be coming from Brady's chest. I gasped. No...he...I-I-It can't be! He can't be...dead! HE JUST CAN'T BE!

Without a second thought, I went into the air, swooping down from the balcony and charging down the tower, landing at the front gate, careful not to hurt my broken hoof again as I did so. The guard looked at me, surprised, but I didn't care. I was far too concerned about my love than what was happening around me at this point.

Eventually, the gate to the tower slid open, letting them in, sending some guards to gasp at what they saw the other guard carried in his arms, and he wasted no time at all in getting Brady back inside the tower, me following closely behind him.
When he got inside, he ran through the lobby and down the left side of the bottom floor, towards the doctor's clinic.

He immediately placed Brady down on the operating table in the middle of the clinic, trying to make sure he was comfortable enough before he inspected the wound closer. His blood was already oozing down his side and onto the floor, forming a small pool of red. I couldn't help but try to fight back tears at the sight. The guard left the room for a moment, running for the doctor, trying to get him to help him patch Brady up. I trotted up to him, his arm hanging off of the edge of the operating table. I placed my hoof in his hand, feeling that it was cold and looked slightly pale.

NO! NO,NO,NO! Rainbow! Don't just stand there! Help him! You can't let him bleed to death!

''But what can I do?!'' I thought aloud, my thoughts irritating me.

I don't even know the slightest thing about medicine! I don't know how to fix a wound, nor to stop bleeding! Gah! If only Twilight or Nurse Redheart where here to help me...but they weren't. They were back in Ponyville, doing Celestia knows what. Probably searching for me or have already been doing so for days.

My thoughts were cut short when the guard came running back in with the doctor right behind him, and he too wasted no time in running to Brady's aid. The doctor unzipped the vault suit Brady was wearing and pulled the material apart, giving enough space to treat and inspect the wound. He looked at it, amazed that he had survived the heavy blood loss from the deep wound. Without wasting any more time, he checked his pulse, alarmed that it was beating slower and slower as minutes went on. He attached wires to the upper chest of his patient that were connected to a heart monitor. Its beeping now filling the silent room every few seconds as it measured his BPS. I still clenched onto his hand, my body heat warming him up a little, enough I could feel it, too.
The thing that concerned me the most is that he didn't seem to be moving. His head kept still, not moving in all the time he had been here. I looked up at his face, seeing a small trails and a patch of blood dried among his lips. His left eye was bruised and his eyes were closed, which worried me more.

''Brady? Can you hear me?'' I asked him, to which he didn't respond. (obviously but worryingly).

I stroked his cheek, feeling that his face was colder than his arm. I rubbed my cheek against his, holding him gently around the neck with my hooves. I never took my eyes off his sleeping eyes once, wanting nothing more for him to just wake up, but I think we both knew that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

The guard held the sides of his deep and heavily bleeding wound together, letting the doctor clean and sterilize the wound before he operated on him. He started by rubbing around the wound with a surgical cloth, not taking long in coating the once light blue cloth a dark red. Next he took out some surgical stitching equipment and readied himself to do the job before Brady died of too much heavy bleeding.

The part when he was about to stitch up the large wound, I looked away, not wanting to see the operation take place. I may be tough, but I don't like seeing something or someone bleed, especially when it is a friend or a person I loved.

''I'm not gonna let you die. I'm not ever gonna let you die, Brady. I love you.'' I told him, repeating it silently in my head.

''Gustavo, get the IV stand and half fill it with adrenaline.'' The doctor commanded the guard, him nodding and wheeling a small IV stand next to the operating table, hooking a surgical tube into Brady's arm, just above his hand. He walked up to the clinics small fridge, searching among the many blood type and painkiller IV bags that filled it. A short moment later, Gustavo pulled out a half filled adrenaline bag and hooked it to the stand, connecting the tubing to the bottom of it, letting the clear liquid flow through the tubing and into Brady's body where it slowly worked throughout his system.

''How long will it take you, Doc?'' He asked the doctor, not once stopping his stitching.

''About a couple hours. Maybe not even that.'' He replied, concentrating hard on his patients condition, knowing one mistake could mess up and worsen Brady's condition, resulting in killing him.

''Will he be okay?'' I asked the doctor, who seemed not to recognize my voice, giving his expression. He looked up at me, shock clearly visible on his old and crumpled face.

''Whoa! Did you just talk?!''

''Um...yeah. I thought most people knew that?''

''Uh....erm...no?''

''Erm, Doc, aren't you gonna finish that wound before he bleeds out?''

''Oh! Yeah, sorry about that.''

The doctor immediately got back with his work, feeling stupid for not remembering, yet still looking shocked in now knowing that I could talk. After the wound was stitched up, the doctor's hands were coated in Brady's blood, small splotches covering his white doctor coat.

I waited a while, still holding onto Brady's lifeless and cold arm, and eventually, the doctor had finished his work, telling me that I could stay behind with Brady and Gustavo, seeing him recover. (I hope).

''So, Gustavo, is it? What happened to Brady? He looks terrible.'' I asked the guard, shedding a single tear down my cheek.

''I found him a Moriarty's in Megaton, and it seems he got in a bit of a fight with Mister Burke.'' Gustavo explained. ''He was lucky I arrived when I did. Burke was about to leave, and so I killed him, just before he saw me, and that's when I found Brady on the floor, a knife wound in his chest and bleeding heavily from the wound, including just a little in his mouth. Just take it easy when he wakes up. He'll still be in a lot of pain.''

Before anything further was said between us, I pulled Gustavo into a hug, taking him by surprise as I clenched around his torso tightly.

''Thank you! If it weren't for you, I think I would of lost him!''

''H-Hey, now. It was nothing, really. I couldn't just let him die, now, could I? That would just be irresponsible of me if I left him there to die from blood loss on his own.''

I broke away from the hug, looking back at Brady's lightly sleeping body.

''Oh, and by the way, I had to take this off of him when I was carrying him back here.''

Gustavo pulled out a battered up piece of body armor with a knife slash in the lower part of it and handed it to me. It was kind of weighty, so I couldn't blame him for taking it off, but it looked as though it did stop the bleeding from being uncontrollable, judging from the enormous blood patch surrounding the entry slit from the knifes blade. As I looked inside, I noticed a small pocket that looked to be something of a protective pouch. I gently lifted up the leather flap and pulled out a folded piece of...paper?
I carefully unfolded it, noticing what it was. It was a photograph. It displayed me and Brady holding and hugging each other with smiles on our faces. It made me smile, too. I was now crying at the lovely photo. I remembered that day. It was the day Brady shown me how to use a weapon and how do defend myself in this cruel and unforgiving world.

That night, I didn't even go back to the suite, nor did I take my gaze from Brady's sleeping body. I actually thought he was kind of handsome, even in his current condition. I just hope- no. I prey that he just lives through it. If he were to die, I don't know what I'd do. I mean, I'm in an alternate world from mine, and I have no idea if I'd ever get back there. Back to Equestria where things would be safe and beautiful and not dull and war-torn to shreds of chaos and brutality. I just wish that if it was possible, I can take Brady with me. I don't wanna live my life without him, just like he doesn't without me in it. But for now, I guess things are gonna remain how they are, but the thing that will never be destroyed is our love.

PreviousChapters Next