• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Dead Man Walking - Part 2

Author's Note:

Tell me whatcha think of this!

Also: Happy bonfire night!

Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot.

Rainbow still couldn't believe it. Brady has come back from the dead! How, she doesn't know, but intends to find out. Who would of thought it possible? A once dead man a living, walking man once again, reborn? It was phenomenal! After Fort Bannister, Rainbow had returned with Billy, sadly without Gustavo in their group. How and why Brady killed him, she had yet to find out, but right now, they were in the clinic, Brady getting the gash in his head stitched and looked at, and whatever that thing he pulled from it, Rainbow gave it to the doctor to see if he can figure it out.

Rainbow watched him as he slept on the bed, out of that black-grey Enclave armour and in his blue undershirt and darker blue underwear. She was happy that her love was back in the world of living, but now also scared of him. He had attempted assault on her twice, and that was more than a good reason to be weary. Once when he was a ghoul, he lashed at her, intent on killing her, and earlier tried killing her with a plasma rifle. According to Doc Church, the damage he did to his head in removing that 'module' will take quite a while to heal properly.

Billy sat next to Rainbow, watching Brady with uneasy eyes, still trying to figure out how he could be living and walking when he died not too long ago. He saw Rainbow smile a little bit, yet he could tell she was hurt emotionally.

''Rainbow? You okay?'' Billy asked her quietly and concernedly, Rainbow only looking at him with sad eyes for a brief moment before turning back to Brady.

''I...I dunno...'' She muttered, sounding like she was going to cry, ''Just...how could this happen?''

Billy sighed, ''I dunno, Rainbow. I don't even know what to think of it. Its just so sudden! One minute he's dead, the next he's back on his feet!''

She wiped her eye with a hoof. ''I know I should be happy that he's back and alive, its just that...how will he react? You know, that I'm pregnant? With his kid?''

Billy placed his hand to her shoulder, looking deep into her eyes, that frightened look within them. ''Rainbow, listen. None of us knew this would happen. No one knew ponies and humans would be compatible. I didn't even think it to be true, but I know that you're hurting. Brady loves you, and you know that, just like you do in turn. Of course he'll be happy, Rainbow, but probably shocked.''

''That's what I'm worried about. What if he attacks me again? I'm scared!''

''Shh.'' Billy shushed her, hugging her. ''Don't be. He won't hurt you. Brady would never try hurt you, he loves you too much.''

A groan. Brady's groan, weak and soft. Both looked at him in an instant, relief washing over them as they saw he was alright. He didn't move, just continued breathing slowly. Still watching him, they saw his eye crack open weakly, then flicker, then open fully, revealing his usual, soft blue sapphires, as full of life as they always have been. He mumbled something inaudibly and turned his head towards Rainbow and Billy, regretting the choice as pain shot through his head.

''Wha...What happened?'' He grumbled softly, voice dry.

''Brady! You're alright!'' Rainbow said, happy he was awake, as was Billy. Brady just smiled as he heard Rainbow's sweet voice, that same voice he loved ever so much. Rainbow cuddled him, rubbing her cheek into his as she hugged him amorously.

''R-Rainbow...''

She didn't respond, she was just too happy to have him back in her life, squeezing him like a teddy bear. After what seemed like an eternity of hugging, Rainbow broke away, blushing and grinning.

''Sorry, Brady, its just...I missed doing that.'' She said, still blushing.

''Missed you too, Dashie. But seriously...what happened?''

Rainbow went silent and looked over to Billy, who looked back at her gaze, seeing that she was now starting to grow more nervous. He sighed softly before silently telling Rainbow to leave for a second, to which she obeyed and left, puzzling Brady.

''Billy?'' Brady asked wearily.

''Brady, we need to talk, and I really need you to listen.''

''About what? Anything happen while I was out?''

Billy sighed heavily to that. He had a fair bit of explaining to do...

''Do you even remember anything from around a day or so ago? Fort Bannister? Gustavo? The Enclave?''

''Enclave and Fort Bannister? What does that have to do with anything, let alone me? Or Gustavo?''

''Right, so you don't remember anything, we've got that one established...And about Gustavo, he's dead.''

Brady went visibly pale upon hearing that, but even more so at what Billy said next.

''You killed him.''

Brady closed his eyes, hoping he hadn't heard that correctly.How did he even kill Gustavo? Why?

''B-But...how?''

''You shot him, you knocked me out and tried to take Rainbow. By trying to shoot her. You really scared her, you know. She's absolutely terrified of you, Brady. You assaulted her twice, and now she is just scared to be around you, thinking you'll do it again.''

''Me? Attack Rainbow? At Fort Bannister?''

Billy nodded slowly, Brady trying to recall the moment, but couldn't think.

''Look, I know you love Rainbow, as much as she loves you, but just take it easy around her, alright? She's been through some nasty stuff since you died, you know. She left town and didn't come back for a whole day! I guess she still is pretty much heartbroken after what happened to you after that night at the bar. You died, you know.''

''I WHAT?! Died?!'' Brady shrieked, loss for words. ''How?!''

''Radiation poisoning. You went through ghoulification and tried to slash Rainbow, right before Lucas gunned you down.''

''I need to see her.'' Brady was about to get up, but Billy stopped him, placing his palm gently upon his chest.

''No. That's not a good idea. You need to know something first. About Rainbow.'' He took a deep breath, ''Brady...Rainbow...she's pregnant.''

''...What...?'' He replied, his voice a whisper. ''Pregnant? Rainbow?''

''Yes. Just don't be mad, alright? She's gotten fragile while you were gone. She needs help, Brady, you're the only one who can get through to her. Just stay calm. Now come on, you two should talk.''

*** *** ***

Back at Brady's old house in Megaton, Rainbow sat on the sofa, staring at her sword, mindlessly looking over it. Her mind was stuck and thick with worry for what may happen once Brady gets back with Billy. It was still surreal as to how he is alive, but as long as she had him back, she was happy. In the background, the jukebox was letting out soft notes of music that filled the house, Three Dog coming on and off occasionally.

When the music returned, she felt at ease. The song, Let's Go Sunning, sang by Billie Holiday, reminded her of her friends, how they'd sometimes sing together. Billie, as she sang the song sounded near as cheerful as Pinkie Pie would. She hummed along to it, feeling a tear stroke her left cheek. Inside, her heart ached and pumped slowly, she felt slightly hot and troubled. How would life be if she ended up living full-time with Brady and never returned to Equestria? Will she ever return to Equestria? See her friends again? Only time will tell.

The door opened, and in walked Billy and Brady, a rather unsettling expression on Brady's face. He sat down with Billy on the sofa next to Rainbow, looking her in her worried, magenta eyes.

''Why didn't you tell me?'' Is all he said, looking slightly hurt. Rainbow didn't respond for a moment. She looked at the sword, to the floor and then into Brady's eyes, sighing silently.

''I thought...I thought that you'd be mad. T-That you'd t-try to kill me.'' Her voice shook as she explained. Brady's expression softened.

''Oh, Rainbow...I wouldn't and couldn't be mad at you. But why on earth would you say that? Why would I try and kill you?''

''You nearly killed me and Billy after you shot Gustavo in the back. You were like a whole different person, and you just scared me. I was terrified of you...'' Her eyes started tearing up as she broke eye contact, looking back to the sword. ''I...I...I thought you didn't love me anymore.''

At this point, Rainbow was crying softly, her insides aching with heartbreak. Brady looked at her with mixed feelings, Billy calmly observing the scene before him. Quietly, Brady scooted closer to Rainbow, slowly stroking her mane, feeling that same, soft, silkiness as before.Rainbow seemed to etch away though, feeling uncomfortable. Even Billy noticed it. Slowly, Rainbow picked herself from the sofa, sword tucked under-wing in her makeshift holster.

''I-I gotta go!'' and then she left, flying through the door and into the sky, not giving either of them a chance to respond.

PreviousChapters Next