• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
...But I Do See Some Good In You

Author's Note:

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT SOME OF YOU, BUT I REVOKED AND DELETED THE SECOND STORY, AS IT WAS GOING NOWHERE. THIS STORY IS GOOD ENOUGH AND I'M GONNA CONTINUE WITH IT FROM HERE.

SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

Rainbow Dash flew high and fast, getting as far away from Megaton as she possibly could. She didn't care where she was going, but she sure as hell didn't want to stick around any longer around those people in Megaton that won't leave her alone. She knows they are just concerned and want to help her, but to her, its like none of them have heard of giving her some personal space to be alone in. But right now, as much as she wanted to hold back her tears, she was crying heavily as she flew through the musty sky.

As she flew through the sky, she passed a small town, houses and buildings all reduced to rubble piles and debris. When she flew overhead, she noticed a few fires in various places, and when she did, she went back around to hover just above the town, close enough that she could see what was going on. She heard the fires crackle and snap, but when she looked for the source of the fire, she saw what looked like a giant ant, and it seemed to be looking directly at her with those big, black eyes. And then it blew a huge blast of fire at her, Rainbow getting back quickly before it scorched her, still feeling the heat from the flames.

Even though she was Rainbow Dash, she wouldn't dare go near something that could scorch her. But back in Equestria, she did learn that lesson when she kicked a dragon in the jaw, right before he threw her into a rock. Now that was one thing she'd never forget.
Without another chance at being barbequed, Rainbow blasted off, flying deeper into the wasteland.

A while after flying for what seemed like forever, she landed next to a giant mountainside cliff and sat on the side, watching over the war-torn land as the moon started to come out. She held her head in her hooves and felt tears invade her eyes. She had no idea how long she was sat there, but by the time she was gonna go to sleep, she could feel something. The wind suddenly got more breezier and colder, and when she turned around, what she saw made her freeze completely. Standing there, right behind her was Brady. His armor had bullet-holes in the front and blood stained his armor. His eyes weren't white anymore, but back to his usual blue sapphire color, and his hair was back to its golden state, bedraggled. He just stood there smiling as he looked at her. It sent shivers down her spine. It was so surreal! He was dead! But still, he was there, plain as day. Eventually the awkward silence between them was broken by Brady as he gently walked towards Rainbow and sat beside her, Rainbow etching slowly away out of fright.

''Don't be afraid, Rainbow. I'm not going to hurt you.'' He said innocently.

''S-S-Stay away from me! You're not real! You're dead! Lucas shot you!'' Rainbow stuttered, making Brady frown.

''Rainbow, why are you grey? You don't look too good. Are you alright?''

''Y-Y-Yes, I mean no...GAH! Why can't anybody leave me alone! I just want to be on my own!''

''Rainbow, I promise I'm not gonna hurt yo-''

''Yeah, you keep saying that!'' Rainbow interjected, anger growing in her voice as she shot Brady a deathly glare. ''You keep making promises, but that was a lie! Don't say ''you won't hurt me'', because you already have! You tried to kill me!''

''Kill you?'' Brady asked cautiously with a raised brow. ''How? I wouldn't ever hurt you...''

''Oh, wouldn't you?! You tried to fucking slash me in the clinic! What was that all about!? Why did you try to kill me?!''

Brady was taken aback by her attitude, and he could see her anger glow in her greyscale eyes. He wanted to say something, but he couldn't. The words just wouldn't come out.

''You're a monster, Brady! You tried to attack me, and Lucas killed you!''

''Rainbow...please just listen to me. I would never try to hurt you. I loved you, Rainbow. You are everything to me, and this whole ''I tried to kill you'' thing? I don't remember it...I really don't. What did I do?''

''You were unconscious and laid up in the clinic back in Megaton. You were barely moving and the only indication of you still living was your pulse. It was weak and rapid. I stayed with you all the time, but when you started to wake up...you wasn't you. You were something else. You growled and snarled at me, your eyes were fully white! You pinned me between you and the wall and was about to slash at me right before Lucas came in and shot you dead! REMEMBER NOW?!''

Brady didn't say anything. He was just far too shocked to even think he could ever do that. But...white eyes? Growling and snarling?
What was that all about? Why would He ever lash at her?

''I...I turned into a ghoul...?'' He said quietly. ''Oh, Rainbow, I'm sorry...''

''No. No, you aren't! Because you're gone, I'm all alone! I hate being alone!''

''Hey, its not my fault I died in that clinic. Neither of us knew that drinking those beers would highly irradiate someone that badly. I know you're hurt, but I'm truly sorry if I nearly did something like that. You know I'd never do anything like that intentionally..''

''But you're dead, Brady. I loved things the way they were. You saved my life and I saved yours. I loved you like you were family. Maybe more than that, even. Because you're not around anymore, all I've done is cry and abandon my friends. I'm not the Rainbow Dash I once was. I'm not loyal anymore. I'm just a regular pony with her pride and broken love.''

''Dashie, you're not just any regular pony. You're the pony I love dearly and never will stop loving, and you're also the one who changed me. You, my little Dashie are not nopony, you are something. You are still Rainbow Dash, the one I fell in love with, and I know there's still some good in you.'' He told her in a serious tone as he etched closer to Rainbow, holding her hooves. ''I love you, Rainbow.''

''I...I love you, too.''

As those words left Rainbow's mouth, the tip of her tail began to go back to its original colors and run down the rest of her body, absorbing all the greyness away and replacing it with her usual, beautiful cyan coat.

Brady looked at her, stunned by what he had just witnessed.

''W-What was that?''

''Thank you. I'm back to my normal self. Thank you for telling me that.''

She leaned in, cuddling Brady tightly around his blood-stained torso. They both had no idea how long the hug lasted, but by the time Rainbow had let go, she realized that he had disappeared. Now she was all on her own. At first she was puzzled as to where he had gone, but then she remembered he was dead. What she saw was some kind of ghost. Or maybe it was her going crazy. The only thing she knows for true is that she can't stay in the wasteland. She needs to find a way back, but the only question is ''how?''.

PreviousChapters Next