• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Wasteland Survival Guide: Minefield Part 1 - Preparation

''Cheers, Doc. Glad you helped out!'' I called to Doc Church as I walked out the clinic alongside Rainbow Dash, grateful she was still alive and not dead from the radiation she had in her system. If she was to die, I think it would of killed me too. She is a smart, cute and beautiful mare. Even though as a rule, I wouldn't of gotten close to people and build friendships over the heartache of them either getting gutted by a Raider or killed by dumb luck. But Dashie? That's something different. I love her too much to let her go. Forever by her side I am, forever by her side I'll stay.

''Rainbow? I'm really glad you're alive. I just wouldn't believe it if you died!'' I said as I rubbed a hand on her back, earning a giggle and a smile out of her sweetness.

''I think I should be thanking you. You're the one who saved my rump back there; if it weren't for you, I'd probably of died.'' She hugged me close as she pulled me down to where I reached her level.

''That's okay, Dashie. I wouldn't ever let you die. Never.''

She giggled and a crimson blush came to her face. ''I'll never forget what you did, Brady. Never for the rest of my life.''

''Rainbow, before anything else happens and you don't know about any of it, I'm working on some Wasteland Survival Guide for Moira, and she wants me to leave town for two days to get to the town now known as Minefield. Yes, it sounds stupid and I don't want any part of it, but I'm her only assistant who has the know-how for this kind of thing. You - on the other hand...or erm...hoof could just fly overhead instead of getting yourself blown up. You're in bad enough shape as it is.''

''Yeah, I know. I still feel terrible, but as a Pegasus, at least I've got these babies!'' Rainbow flapped her pretty cyan wings, a feather or two breaking from them and fluttering to the floor.

''Yes you do.'' I smiled. ''You really are a beauty, Rainbow.''

''Oh, stop it, you!'' She chortled back with a playful hoof jabbing my shoulder.


Back at home, me and Rainbow were packing things for the hike to Minefield. I do admit, I'm not looking forward to the nightmarish adventure, but then again, Rainbow might enjoy it. If she doesn't get too near a landmine.

I don't usually carry many things with me other than my satchel when I'm out scavenging, but just for a change, I took my Pip-Boy 3000 from my room and clipped it around my arm. I never was the one for technology or anything of a kind, but they do prove useful than most things. Next, I packed some purified water that I bought from the Stahls at the Brass Lantern and to go with it a few boxes of dandy boy apples, crisps and a small box of stimpacks and super stimpacks in case we get ourselves injured. (That is more than likely in this circumstance).

My vault armor wasn't going to do me much good, either. The stitching in my suit was torn from one side to another and the leather wrists were torn and looked like rags. I took my suit off, noticing my previous wounds on my lower chest from the first time I was assaulted by a Raider. The knife mark ran from my lower chest to my intestines. Luckily they weren't able to gut me open like I was a fish. I grabbed my combat armor and strapped it around my chest after putting on the green army shirt underneath me first. The chest plate gripped tight around my upper chest and the straps ached a little, but I wasn't one for complaining about it. The shin pads and side plates didn't ache much, unlike I was thinking they would. Even though I did buy the helmet to match the uniform, I still prefer using the vault security helmets. For some reason, I found them more efficient than the combat helmets. Probably because of the strong visors they have at the front. After all, they are made for riot control.

''Hmm... Pistol or machine gun?'' I think as I choose between the two weapon types. ''Decisions, decisions...''

Eventually I stopped thinking about it and pointed to my most reliable weapon: 10mm submachine gun. I always did like them.
They seemed to have more of a stopping power than the pistol version.

Downstairs, Rainbow was trying on her new suit. I didn't think Moira's measurements were correct, but it fits perfectly on her! Even though I shouldn't mention anything of it, it did make her ass stand out nicely within the leather. She seamed to like it. Something I wasn't expecting her to like at all, but at least she is armored, that's good enough for me. Even the reinforced armor plating was giving the suit a nice touch. Slabs and strips of metal were over her entire hooves, a chest plate that was designed specifically for her strapped around her body. Damn she looked good.

She also found one of my old weapons in my locker that I completely forgot about. My Chinese officers sword. It was rusty and needed to be cleaned, but she looked so good with it when she was in that outfit! Even though she said she wasn't the violent type, she seemed to have a knack for sharp weaponry. I remember that time I gave her a switchblade I found while I was out with her one weekend. She ''accidentally'' managed to slice a Raider's throat open. Of course, it scared the hell out of her, but that was one less asshole of a Raider to deal with...

''Rainbow, you all ready?'' I called from the balcony.

''Hmm? Oh, yeah, I got everything.'' She cocked a smile at me and spun the sword around in her hooves and dug the end of it into the floor with a thud.

''I see you've found my old sword. You like it?''

''The hay I do! Where'd you get this thing from?''

''I stole it from that ex-Raider called Jericho not far from us. Dumb-ass doesn't even know it's missing yet. Why don't you keep it?''

''Really? Don't you need it? Especially if we are going later?'' She raised her brow at me.

''No, I got a machine gun. I'll be alright without it. Besides, you look good with that sword. Put it to good use, show Raiders what you can really do if they get on your nerves.'' I laughed quietly, noticing Rainbow blushing.

''Huh! You're a real charmer, aren't you?'' She grinned with a squee.

''I guess so, Dashie. We'd better get some sleep then. We've got a long hard day tomorrow. Especially if we are to use some extra time for scavenging.''

''I hear you. Goodnight.'' She yawned and looked tiredly at me.

''Rainbow?''

''Yeah?''

''You can take my room if you want to. I'm just going to go out to the bar for a while before going to bed.'' I offered as I jumped off the balcony to the floor with a metallic thud, causing Rainbow to jump a bit.

''Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I kinda like sleeping on the couch.''

''Suit yourself, Dashie. I'll be back later.'' I hugged her goodbye along with a peck on her cheek, causing her to blush.

''Goodnight, Rainbow.''

PreviousChapters Next