• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,959 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,959

PreviousChapters Next
Campfire Love and Minefield

We all sat around a fire on makeshift beds as night set upon and darkened the Wasteland. Rainbow Dash sat next to me on my far left and Dogmeat on my right.
We were all laying down on our side and watching the fire crackle, but one thing I did notice was that Rainbow seemed to be keeping her eyes not on the fire, but mostly on me. Almost like she was staring directly into my soul.

I didn't think anything of it, still keeping my eyes on the fire, Dogmeat coming over and cuddling next to me, letting me stroke his soft, grey fur.

''Brady? Are you...feeling alright?'' Dash asked me, catching me a little off guard at first.

''Huh? Yeah.'' I responded with a small, tired smile. ''Just a little tired from scavenging.''

Rainbow did nothing but smile back. God, she really was beautiful. But how she got here still remained a mystery. One thing I really wanted to know is can she actaully go back? She doesn't deserve a life like this; fighting for survival, murder, rapists and Raiders. She deserves something a lot better. But whatever happens, I hope she stays happy.

''Rainbow? Could I ask you something?'' I asked from over the cackling, orange flame.

''Sure. What?'' She smiled at me.

''Are you okay with staying here? I mean...as in...for good, if you got accustomed to life here?'' I asked as I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly.

She kept her gaze on me, holding a blank expression, trying to think of what to say.

''I...I guess so. It isn't all bad here...Well, other than that, I do have you still with me, so I'm happy with it here. Until...''

''Until what, Dash?''

She stopped, opening and closing her mouth a few times but nothing came out. Then she said it.

''Until...I...I...I l-lose you.'' She looked away, a heavy blush burning on her cheeks.

''Rainbow...I...'' At this point, I found myself blushing at what she said, not that I didn't ever confirm I had feelings for her.

''I love you!'' She yelled nervously at me, causing her blush to deepen in colour and making Dogmeat's ears perk up, me myself surprised.

She gave me a cute look, her cheeks now burning intensely red.

''I love you too, Rainbow. I really do.'' I rubbed my cheek, her doing the same, feeling the temperature of her skin...or erm...fur.

Without hesitation, yet still showing nervousness, she picked herself off her makeshift bed and trotted over to me, all the way, keeping her pretty magenta eyes on the floor and lay beside me.

As she layed there, she looked into my eyes, slowly bringing her blush back to her cheeks. She brang up her head towards me cheek, stopping a few times out of nervousness and about the fourth time, planted a soft, quick kiss on my cheek, causing us both to blush once more.

Being just as nervous as her, I returned the kiss to her fluffy, cyan cheek.

After I returned the kiss, Rainbow unexpectedly jumped on top of me and kissed me lovingly on the lips.

''R-R-Rainbow?''

''I can't stand it anymore! I love you so, so much!'' She breathed heavily as she immediately began smothering me with kisses, partly making out with me as she did so.

Within a few minutes, I could feel her body already starting to warm up from doing it so much. I held her close as I caressed her mane, running my fingers through its silkiness. We were both sweating very little, seeing as the nights air cooled us down.
She took her leather armor off, laying it beside her bed and coming back to snuggle up with me. At this point, I was on my back, Rainbow on top of me, rubbing her soft, fluffy cheek into my own. I began gently rubbing her back, lovingly running my fingers up and down, causing her to shiver a little bit down her spine as I ran my hand over her cutie mark, causing her blush to reappear.

''So...erm...'' Rainbow blushed, looking away slightly, trying to hide her face.

''Rainbow, you don't have to if you don't want to...There's no rush...''

Her answer was made up as she planted a kiss to my lips. And before we knew it, we were holding each other in a loving embrace.


As morning set, me, Rainbow Dash and Dogmeat headed for Minefield up north of the camp site, the orange rays of the sun lighting up the whole region a pretty orange-red colour. We hadn't been walking long, but we could already see Minefield ahead of us. It was like any other average American settlement; wooden houses that are now shards and rubble from the Great War, cracked stone roads, and in this towns case, a few mines scattered pretty much everywhere!

We knew it wasn't going to be easy, but it had to be done. Who knows, we may even walk out of here with some valuable loot (possibly with a few mangled or blown off limbs), seeing as it looked more untouched than most settlements, meaning we could net ourselves some money.

We walked a ways down the cracked entry road and soon saw that frag mines were scattered in various areas, each and every one of them active. Normally it would be a problem, but I learnt enough to know how close I need to be before it detonates so I can disarm it and take it if I wanted. After all, they did fetch quite a price.

Once thing that caught my attention other than the mines were the blood trails just left of us. As I got closer to it, there was more blood on the floor and small porch, leading underneath the door, and there was also blood on the door; a hand print.

I turned the knob, and the door opened with a click and creaked open. In the rotten, old house, it was mostly broken and the walls were broken down in various places, their parts scattered on the floor. But one thing...just one thing caught my eye from all the other things in my view. A dead Raider laying with his back to the rotten staircase, blood caking his leather badlands armor. I pulled my pistol out, flicking off the safety and walking towards him, Rainbow waiting with her sword in her hooves.

I crept slowly and quietly towards the body of the Raider and when I got close enough, I gently nudged the nozzle of the barrel into his cheek. He didn't move. Him not moving was indication enough that he was dead. I lifted his head back by pushing his chin up, seeing his face. His left eye was closed and disturbingly enough, blood was splatted across his nose and right cheek, and when I looked to the right side of the face, my face went pale at the sight, same as Rainbow. His right eye was missing. The wound didn't look like it was from a bullet, but more from a large knife. My reason for the conclusion is that the skin around his socket was mangled badly and looked as though it was done fast. Most of the blood was dried, dripping down his cheek and onto his leather clothes, obviously what created the pool of blood that his corpse sat in.

''Jesus...'' I whispered. ''Rainbow..don't look...I think we should just go back outside...''

Without hesitation, we turned around and quickly exited the house. By far, it was the most horrible thing I've seen. All that blood...there was so much of it...

We walked further up the path, dodging a few frag mines so we don't end up in pieces before we get back. I stopped, noticing a tall building in the distance. It was an office building, just near being a pile of rubble with small parts of floor still standing, but on the second floor, something caught my eye. It looked like a silhouette of a person. He was standing at a collapsed window, looking right at as, and he appeared to be holding something...something in the shape of a...

''BANG!''

It was a gun, presumably a sniper rifle, judging from the loudness of the weapon and its accurate shot that would of killed me if it hit me, but luckily hit the wall of a house next to us. We quickly ran to the wall of a house to the side of us. Unfortunately, there was very little space to hide behind, and the rotten wood walls were thin enough to be shot through. He fired again.

The bullet drilled through the wall, just barely missing Rainbow's muzzle. In defense, I took out my 10mm submachine gun and peeked around the corner. I saw him. He was much clearer in vision now, enough that I could easily shoot him to the floor. He appeared to be older than most people I've met, possibly around the age of 60 or maybe 50. Surprisingly, the gunshot we heard before was from the gun he was using. What amazed me is how an old man can use such a powerful weapon that has such a powerful kick without being knocked back or knocked down by the force.

I aimed my machine gun at him, looking down the sights, targeting his brittle torso and fired. It shot rapidly, enough that he didn't have time to react, for a bullet had hit were I intended it to. He squirmed in pain, dropped his sniper and fell from the small piece of floor that he stood upon and hit the floor with a sickening crunch of snapping bone.

I ran up to him, the others following close behind me and saw that he was dead. The sickening crunch I heard was his neck. Blood ran through and out his nostrils and his body was bleeding from where I shot him in the guts. I killed an elderly man. Fool probably took us for a threat, but what he didn't realize is that if someone tries to kill somebody or something out here, you gotta be prepared to take it on. I knelt down to his body and took something I saw in his pocket. Upon grabbing it, I saw it was a keyring with various keys attached to it, all belonging to the houses in Minefield. I added them to my sachet and picked up the sniper that had too fallen with him. Checking the clip, I saw it had around three rounds still inside it. It may be useful for another time, so I strapped the heavy rifle onto my back and took it with me.

Going up to where he was standing, I was amazed at what I saw. Five boxes of ammunition were stacked next to each other and the best part about it is that on the side of one, in Stencil, it read ''Mines''.

Well, at least I don't have to bother disarming any and risk blowing myself to bits...

PreviousChapters Next