• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Surprise

When Rainbow came flying back into Megaton, she was almost immediately stopped by some of the townsfolk who knew her, clearly concerned about her. Some others were even stunned at her random appearance. She quickly waved them off, saying she was fine. Before any of them could delay her further, she hurriedly spread her wings and launched herself towards Craterside Supply. She stood there for a moment, allowing herself to catch her breath before bringing herself to open the door.
When she opened it, the first thing she saw was Moira, sweeping the floor with an old brush. When she looked up, she saw Rainbow Dash looking right back at her, with a sad but happy looking expression on her face. Without hesitation, Moira dropped the broom and flung her arms around Rainbow, pulling her into a warm embrace, taking her back a bit.

''Rainbow! You're alright! I was so worried about you when you left!''

''Moira, I'm alright. Really. You didn't need to worry about me.'' Dash reassured, but Moira didn't let go.

''Where did you go? And why in the world were you all grey, and now you're back to your normal colors?'' She asked, letting go of her and looking into her eyes.

''I guess I just stopped believing in myself, is all. But, hey, I need to tell you something. When I was out there, moping on my own on a cliff for a while...I saw Brady.''

''Wait. What? Brady? But he's dead. Are you saying you saw a ghost?''

''I dunno. Maybe its just me going insane from losing him. I just feel bad for yelling at him...''

''Hey, you'll be alright, Rainbow. You don't need to worry that much. I know what its like to lose someone like Brady. He always seemed kinda special to me, you know. I loved seeing him everyday when he was working with me on that book of ours. I know he may not of been happy with some of the experimental research, but he always managed to keep his spirits up. He was just so hard to get mad with! That's what I like about him the most. It just shows that his is like you. Fearless and knows how to keep his cool.''

''Thanks.'' Rainbow said, hugging Moira back.

''So, since you're here, do you wanna talk about anything?''

''Hmm...there's not really that much to tell, actually.'' Rainbow said, scratching her mane. ''Do you?''

''Well, just after you left town in a mood, a guy in khaki armor came through her and asked around town what had happened. From my guess, he probably saw you fly away. He was nice, but I didn't tell him anything.''

''Guy in khaki armor?''

''Yeah. He had one of those Chinese assault rifles and he looked kinda tough, too.''

''Did he mention his name?''

''No. No, I don't think so.''

''So, where is this guy now?''

''I think he's at Moriarty's or something. Why? Do you know him?''

''Uh...maybe?''


Later on that evening, Rainbow couldn't help but find herself to be curious enough to see who Moira was talking about, and so she went over to Moriarty's and looked around. When she entered the bar, she was greeted by Gob at the bar, motioning for her to sit on the bar stool in front of him.

''Hey, Rainbow. Doin' okay?''

''Yeah, I guess so. Just been lonely for a while, now.''

''Why's that? Hey, where's Brady?''

Rainbow hung her head down in response, her ears flopping back on her head in sadness. She sniffled quietly as she drew in a short breath and exhaled through her nostrils.

''He died...''

''What?! Brady died?!'' At Gobs outburst of shock, some of the people in the bar looked his direction. ''I'm sorry to hear that, Rainbow. So, what now? You just live and care for yourself?'' Rainbow nodded. ''That's gotta be tough for a mare like you. No offense.''

''None taken. Its just so hard to believe its true.''

''I hear ya. So, anyway, you here for a drink?''

''Maybe one.''

''Alright then.'' Gob said as he took a bottle of beer from the fridge and passed it to Rainbow. ''On the house.''

''Cheers.''

Before Rainbow took a sip of the beer, a familiar voice said her name. One she hadn't heard for a long time.

''Rainbow?''

When Rainbow turned to see who it was, her body froze and her eyes shrunk.

''G-G-Gustavo?!'' She almost shrieked. ''What are you doing here?''

''I just stopped by to get a few drinks. How about you?''

''Just here for a pint, so same as you, I guess.''

''Right. So, how have you been? Haven't seen you in a long time. Well, not since Tenpenny Tower.''

''Well, Gustavo, things have been better. Didn't you hear that Brady died?''

He froze, his mouth left hanging as he stared at Rainbow's magenta eyes.

''Dead? Brady? Really?''

''Mmm-hmm.''

''Wow...so when'd this happen?''

''Bout a month ago. He turned into a ghoul from radiation poisoning.''

Once again, there was an awkward silence filling the room. Most people stopped their conversations and looked at the two, mostly at Rainbow in disbelief of what they were hearing.

''Well, sorry to hear that.''

''Its okay. I loved that guy like he was the world to me.''

''I guess I can tell that from how close you two seemed when I first met you both. Must of been hard on you when you lost the guy.''

''Yeah. It was.'' Rainbow coughed softly, brushing her muzzle with a hoof. ''So...um..''

''Hmm?''

''Do you still work for Mister Tenpenny? I thought they had a bar back at the tower?''

''Oh. That. Well...after you - or at least I think it was you - punched Tenpenny in the face, he was kinda pissed about it, so he ordered me to find and kill you both, so I told him to go eat shit. And so, he booted me from his tower. Says I'm a 'disappointment'.''

''That's rough. But why did you say no?''

''Truthfully? Well, you and Brady...you seemed so close to each other, and it honestly didn't take me long to realize how strong of a connection you two had, and I didn't want to ruin it by killing one or both of you. I don't know if Brady ever told you, but I used to know him before I became a body guard. I grew up in Vault 26, same as him.''

''Wait, what?''

''Yeah, I take it he doesn't recognize me? Well, it really doesn't surprise me, seeing as we were both like ten or eleven-years-old.''

''Really?''

''Yeah, we caused quite a lot of trouble in that vault when we were young, too. Didn't Brady tell you about some of those stories? Hell, they were good times.''

''No. Besides, I didn't need him to tell me. I found a lot of holotapes in his old house and I've listened to quite a lot of them.''

''So, he recorded everything, did he? Never expected him to care about that kind of stuff...''

Rainbow replied with a ''Hmm-mmm.'' and took a swig of her beer. She didn't say anything for a while, and barely looked back at Gustavo, not knowing what to say next. Perhaps she had already said too much?

''Well, guess I better be going, Rainbow. Gotta get back to work.''

''Wait, what? You work here?''

''Yeah. I'm on patrol on nights. See you around.'' He waved goodbye and left without another word, leaving Rainbow alone at the bar.

God came back toward her and planted his palms on the counter, looking at Rainbow with a sturdy look.

''What?'' Rainbow asked innocently.

''You know that guy?''

''Yeah. He's the one who saved Brady's life and killed Burke a while ago. He really not that bad.''

''HE killed Burke?! Christ, never expected someone like that to come after Brady when him and Burke started fighting. So, he used to work for Tenpenny? God, that guy is a complete asshole of a rich guy. So much money he thinks the sun shines outta his ass.''

Rainbow chuckled. ''Haha. I hear ya. I even stayed in that tower once, and let me tell you: he was a bloody creep. I don't even know how people like him can live with themselves.''

''Well, Rainbow, they just can. He's doing better than we are down in this pit, that's for sure.''

''That may be true, but I think he is just a selfless, gutless old coot who thinks its funny to send someone to their death. I'm glad I knocked him out. Maybe knocked some sense into him.''

''Wow, you punched Tenpenny? Just...wow. You got my thanks for that.''

PreviousChapters Next