• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,967 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,967

PreviousChapters Next
Oscar's New ''Toys''

With the new shipment of weaponry that I ordered from Moira, I had to assemble the guns together, all apart from the missile launcher since it was already put together yet in crappy condition. I was sat in my house in Megaton with Rainbow Dash in the living room with the parts in front of me along with the schematics that showed me how to put it together, and well, it was a lot easier than I expected.
I even let Rainbow help me build the parts into the main body of the weapon where I later fitted the motor. Dash didn't understand most of what the things meant, but she sure was good at it, so much she really impressed me.

''Okay.'' I said as I tried to think. ''Insert Gatling barrel 8 into slot H...And....that should do it.'' I said as I inserted the barrel into the slot with a confirming click that told me it was stuck in place.

''Well, thank god that's over with, Rainbow.''

''Yeah. How come you got this anyway? I thought you already owned a weapon?'' She pointed to my knife and pistol with a hoof.

''Erm...Yeah, I do.'' I looked at the mini-gun again with my head low. ''Look, Rainbow...there is something I should of told you. And I mean something that I really should of.'' I looked ashamedly into her eyes, weakly lifting my head.

''The reason I got this gun and the missile launcher is because...because...I hear there is some wanted people out there - Bounties, real money to be made - and...I needed the extra firepower to help get them. If I do manage to get a minimum of 4 to 5 bounties, we would have roughly about 12,000 caps depending on the profit of the target and extra things on them seeing as wanted Raiders and bounty targets and hit-men carry caps for expenses and for extra bullets when they run out.'' I sighed heavily through my nostrils.

''I'm sorry I never told you, Rainbow...''

Rainbow looked at me in complete silence, watching me as I looked down with guilt.

''You...you're doing this...as a job for money...?'' Is all she said in a quiet voice, me giving a slow affirmative nod.

''Why? Why do want the money?''

''It's not that I want it, it's more like I need it. You see, where you're from, life is easy, but in case you didn't know about it, a war that destroyed pretty much everything in the world 200 years ago didn't just ruin the way of life, but also free will and created everlasting chaos. It's hard to survive in the Wasteland, Rainbow. You gotta understand. You just have to! It's just the way it is nowadays.''

She still looked at me, this time in shock and her mouth agape. She tried to speak once or twice, but the words never came out.
Eventually, she managed to speak.

''Oscar...I do understand, but...there must be some other way to get what you need other than killing innocent people?''

''No, Rainbow, there isn't. Now people just turn on each other, don't trust one another and kill for the fun of it. They'd tear a childs head off with a combat knife if it meant their freedom or to get money for it. And also, they are not 'innocent'' people. They are a bunch of rapists and cowards, the ones I want. Thousands of the survivors left in the world know about them and want them killed for their crimes and misdeeds to mankind. If they don't own up for their crimes, they die, but almost always put up a fight if it meant their freedom from justice. With this gun here, I'm going to end them and take what I can for the society.''

''You're really serious about this aren't you..?''

''Yes. For our own good. If you don't want to, you don't have to, but its the only way to survive now. All other ways for money is bad in profit, mainly because scavenging houses only lets you find broken things for a pay of 5 caps and not to mention they are always in bad condition and never function.''

Dash's only response was a quiet ''Right.''. She looked up to me and saw my sad expression, and it kind of made her feel sad, too.

''Hey, Oscar. Um, if this is what you really want to do...I won't stop you. I'd even join you, even though I'm not the violent type or used to guns like you are, I'll be by your side.'' She said as she pulled me into a hug with one of her wings.

''Thank you, Rainbow. But we won't be going for a few days or until we are ready. So, come on.'' I gently pulled myself out of her grasp and picked up the mini-gun. ''Let's go see if this thing works.''

Dash gave me a simple nod with a smile and walked with me out of my house and just outside Megaton where I had a few targets set up to shoot at.


Just outside of Megaton, I carried the pack of bullets and spare ammunition in the massive container on my back and placed them on the ground next to Rainbow as I went towards a rock with the perfect flatness to place some tin cans on it that I had in my satchel. I picked 3 tin cans out and lined them up on the rock, along with the power helmet from earlier when I taught Rainbow how to fire the 10mm pistol.

I went beside Rainbow after setting the targets up and picked up the heavy weapon after I installed a box of bullets into the bullet feeder in the under-section of the gun and flicked it tightly shut. I honestly wished that they designed a lightweight model of this gun seeing as it is heavy enough to break my arms just when I hold it in a tight grip, but it never got produced because of the Great War, but anyway, I hoped everything would work properly and not break or blow up in my face. I wrapped my fingers around the top handle and flicked a switch and in a second, the Gatling barrels turning mechanism came to life and started spinning in a high force that I could feel vibrating through my arms.

I let it spin until it got fast enough, then I pulled up the other switch and the bullets force pushed me back a little bit from the force that they gave upon leaving the barrels of the gun and they sprayed everywhere in a shower of flashes, every bullet smacking upon the surface of the rock and some hitting the tin cans with a ''clank, clank.''.

The whole time I was firing, I noticed Rainbow had her ears covered with her hooves trying to block out the deafening noise that emitted from the mini-gun, and she wasn't the only one who was going deaf, I had both my hands on the gun to operate it the whole time and nothing to cover my ears! After I stopped firing, my ears were ringing like an alarm clock from the noise.

''Rainbow, you can uncover your ears, now.'' I said as I rubbed my own aching ears.

She removed her hooves from her ears and looked up at me as she too rubbed her ears.

''I take it your ears are hurting a lot?'' She giggled as she saw me rub my ear with my hand.

''Yeah. I gotta ask Moira for some sound-protective helmets or ear plugs...'' I laughed with her.

''So, should we try the missile launcher?'' I asked with a smile as I motioned over to it with my eyes.

Dash looked at me and rolled her eyes. ''I dunno...aren't you deaf enough?''

''Kinda, but we gotta see if these things work. I need to know how to use them, too, you know. I'm not going to run into a fight with a broken gun! I might as well just take a sword!'' I snickered.

''So, you are going to use it?''

''Hell yeah I am!''

I picked up the just as equally heavy missile launcher and pushed the front lever forward and pulled the large silver barrel down then inserted a missile into it and pulled the barrel back up and slid the lever back so it clicked back into place. Once the missile was in and the lock was back, the three red lights on the power box glowed dimly to tell me it was functioning just fine.
I aimed my eye next to the side of the gun where the target locator was positioned and saw that it locked onto the power helmet next to where the cans where boxed into a white border that appeared on the screen.

Once the launcher was steadied, I pulled back the trigger, the missile's force pushing me further back than the mini-gun did and soon an explosion sounded, shaking the Earth below us and throwing me back from the rupture it created.
I could feel the heat from the loud bang it created and once more, my ears were ringing, this time, more painfully.

''Oscar! You okay?!'' Dash exclaimed in panic as she saw me get thrown into the floor hard.

''Yeah, I'm alright. At least we know the weapons work now...and my ears are hurting again.'' I groaned as I struggled to get to my feet.

''You scared the buck out of me!'' She said as she pulled me up.

''I'm alright, Rainbow. Lets just get back inside of Megaton and take these guns back home and then maybe we could go to the Brass Lantern tonight.''

''Hey, Oscar, one more thing.''

''Yeah?''

Without warning Rainbow tackled me into a hug and gripped me tight.

''Don't ever do that to me again!''

PreviousChapters Next