• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
Another Day Gone By - Fright

I had restlessly found my way through a couple metro stations and various streets to get to my location and finally there, I eyed the sight. A massive, stone building with a very badly corroded and aged sign reading 'Galaxy News Radio' out front. Piles of debris lay around the structure, and to the left of the complex was the war-torn remains of a school, barely anything remaining but the ground floor and a very small section of the second floor. A fountain sat at the front of the building, a rusted brass globe in the centre, also reading 'Galaxy News Radio'. Next to it was a dead person in power armour, an assault rifle by the corpse's side.

I could see something around the neck of the dead figure, and gently taking it in my hands, I saw it was a holotag. The name programmed into it read 'Initiate Redding'. I put the tag into my pouch and continued with my task. But something about that corpse lingered in my mind - A marking of a sword in front of a few gears in a circle on the left shoulder on the power amour. It looked like the symbol of the Brotherhood, but why there could of been here is beyond me.

When I was inside the building, I found it was pretty much dead. Only the sound of a fire crackling softly in a metal barrel filling the air. Upstairs were doorways blocked with debris, only one remaining clear. When I walked, I noticed something on the floor - a cyan-blue feather. When I picked it up and inspected it, I immediately knew that it could only belong to Rainbow Dash. She must be around here somewhere! Perhaps hiding? From me...

No!

I wasn't going to break down there! Enough breaking down and being sorry for myself! I gotta carry on, and carry on I did. I continued up the steps to a door at the end of a small corridor past the remaining doorway, and on the other side I could hear a man's voice. Assault rifle in hand, I pushed the door open slowly, the hinges making a loud creaking noise, deflating my attempt at entering unnoticed. Inside though, computers were everywhere, all of different types, various parts of the room illuminated a sickly green colour from computer screens.

When I got further into the technology-flooded room, I could see a man sat at a ham-radio, speaking into the microphone. I hid, watching him cautiously, and after a few minutes, he had stopped his broadcast and moved from his seat. I watched his every move, seeing him go over to a cooker at the back, facing away.

Perfect.

I moved slowly to suppress the sound my armour made with each step, assault rifle fully loaded. Coming behind him, nearly being head as I just missed a cooking pot on a shelf before I knocked it to the ground, I pointed the gun at his head, flipping the safety off, alerting him as he put his hands up.

''Don't do anything stupid, and I won't hurt you, okay? I just want answers. Where is Rainbow? Be truthful and I might just let you live.''

He put his hands up, turning around to me, revealing a black face with a headwrap and sunglasses and short, black goatie.

''Whoa, whoa, now. You're the one who doesn't want to do anything stupid, kid. Pull that trigger, and you'll have more hell on your tail than ever. I don't suppose you're Oscar Brady by chance? Nice to meet you, I'm Three Dog.''

He lowered his hands slowly, my mind shocked. How the hell did he know who I was? Did Rainbow say anything? Or did word of my death spread further than I thought possible?

''How the hell do you know who I am? We haven't even met!''

''And from what I heard, you were supposed to be bright. Shame, I actually thought you knew the obvious...'' He wore a smug smile, ''You say you wanna know where Rainbow is? Well, with no rain, she isn't in the sky, so I don't suppose you mean a being?''

''Don't do that, Three Dog! I travelled around and got my ass kicked looking for her! I just wanna know if she is safe or not, maybe talk to her for a short while.'' Jesus, he was really starting to annoy me...making jokes while Rainbow is hiding somewhere on her own. Haven't I worried enough?

''Look, all I wanna know is is she here? Would you please just tell me?''

''I would if I could, slik, but what kinda person would I be if I didn't keep a promise?''

Wait, what? She made Three Dog promise not to tell me her whereabouts?!

That is IT! Anger seeming to melt through me, I thrust myself forward, surprising Three Dog as I grabbed him by the neck and pinned him to the wall. He tried to wriggle his way from my grasp, but failed miserably, I was stronger than he was and I wasn't going to let go without getting the answer I wanted!

''I'm through playing games, Three Dog! I wanna know where Rainbow is and you're going to tell me! I aren't going nowhere until I know where she is and if you don't tell me, you best be prepared to die!'' I growled at him through gritted teeth, anger boiling my blood. If he didn't tell me, I swear I'm going to pulverise him!

''I...I can't tell you! You'll kill her!'' He choked, trying to speak.

''Wait, WHAT?! Me?! Hurt Rainbow Dash?! No, I don't think so! It'll be you getting killed if you don't speak up, so speak while you still have a voice box!''

I pressed down on his throat harder, making him thrash around more as pain ravaged through his neck. How the hell can he say that?! Why would I ever want to kill her?!

''Christ! A-Alright, alright! Jesus! Just let go already!''

I released my grip around his neck, letting him fall as he tried to regain his breath. I kept my eyes locked on him, assault rifle at the ready.

''Rainbow Dash was here, alright! She was pretty scared, too. She said she didn't want to go back to Megaton so I let her stay here with me for the night. She left early this morning in a hurry, she left her Pip-Boy here, too. Found it laying beside the bed.'' He presented the Pip-Boy in his hands, showing me its battered and scratched body. I took it and put it back on my arm. When I looked at the screen, I saw it was on the 'Data' section, the tracker tag flashing red in the top right. I turned it off with my personal code and looked back to Three Dog.

''Did she say where she was going? Did you see her fly any particular direction?''

''Before she left, she was saying she was going to find Reilly of Reilly's Rangers. Dunno where they are, though.''

Reilly? Why would she go there? Yes, they are well-equipped and deadly, but why them out of any place she could go? Good thing I know where they are: Just to the east of D.C. in their hideout - Ranger Compound. It is marked on my Pip-Boys map. I haven't been, but Reilly apparently tagged it while Gustavo was with Rainbow in Bethesda. I actually feel bad about it. Billy is pissed at me for going alone, Moira is shocked I'm back on my feet after being dead for a while and Gustavo is dead by my hand. I may not of known the guy long, but he saved my life and in turn I killed him.

I just don't feel like me any more. I don't feel the way I used to feel things before. It was like I'm a different being. I turned on friends, assaulted Rainbow Dash - the one I loved ever so dearly. Whatever could make me do such horrid things is beyond me. I even attacked Three Dog! I pinned him to the wall just to find out where Dash was and that was the kind of thing a Raider does! There is just no way I'm me any more! My mind feels more fragile than it used to be and my heart feels as though it has turned black, pumping evil throughout my body.

Maybe Rainbow was right. I am a monster.

I just hope she can forgive me.

PreviousChapters Next