• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,972 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,972

PreviousChapters Next
The Finale - Remembrance

Author's Note:

I finally got tired of ignoring this. The worst thing for ANY writer is to ignore unfinished work - it just stays and niggles at you. It took me a while to figure that out, so here, the actual end to the story.

No, I aren't interested in it as much anymore but if you are, I'm more than happy to have created this story for you. And to every other brony writer out ther who gave me a whole bunch of inspiration and ideas, I thank you.

-Dan

Today had to be one of the most miserable days of my entire life. Not only was it one that I will never forget for as long as I live, but it is one that has left me with a shattered heart, beyond repair.

It has been around a few days after I lost the one I loved dearly and still, I can't stop crying, nor do I ever think I will. All I could think about was the day it happened. The screams, the blood, the fright...it still haunted me.

At the moment, I sat in Carousel Boutique, awaiting for the white unicorn fashionista who I now knew to be called Rarity. After she noticed I had no top or anything to wear, she decided to help me out by fixing me a new one. I was grateful for her generosity. Even though she insisted on something of the more formal type, I asked her to see if she could remake my vault suit, to which she agreed after numerous disagreements.

Her boutique was a pretty sight from the outside, but on the inside it was something more. Bright, colourful and full of wonderous ideas. Manequinns that were called ponyqinns were adorned with suits of different ranges of variation, going through a wide range of styles. One thing I did notice out of all of them were six in particular were labeled as ones that belonged to Rainbow's friends. Hers was on the one furthest to the right, Applejack's sitting on the ponyquinn next to it.

It was blue, darker than the colour of her coat and had edges that were made from the softest wool, designed to look like clouds and the skirt was the same hue of blue with a lighter blue that was nearly the same as her coat with a golden trim around the bottom with clouds lining the bottom of it, a gold ribbon on the rear.

On the ponyquinns head was a hat, one side tilted upwards with a hue of light blue that had a golden lining over part of it. On the centre piece of the hat was a golden brim that had a posh golden feather put into it. I could just picture her wearing it. I cried a little when I had the thought enter my head. If it was something I was going to miss, it was her beauty. I held the hat, feeling the softness of the material that it was made from. It was made with great care and I could only imagine what Rainbow looked like to be wearing such garments.

I placed it back atop the ponyquinns head before I let a tear or two escape my eyes and turned around only to see Rarity standing there with a mournful expression on her face, knowing just how I felt. I wonder how she felt, too. I may of lost somepony I loved and cared about dearly, but Rarity and her friends have lost a best friend, a being who was like a sister to everyone.

If there was something else that pained me, it was I still have no idea what happened that day. One minute, she is staring at me with an emotionless expression and then she was screaming as blood poured out of her parts. I knew there wasn't a baby because the doctors found nothing. Instead, her death was marked as a miscarriage and the bloodloss she suffered from it claimed her life. As painful as I know it was and still is, I guess that's the way it's got to be.

I just fell to my knees as the reality sank in, causing my tears to be unleashed like a broken dam. No matter how hard I tried to get them to stop, they just kept on coming. I couldn't even think without her coming into my thoughts. I may of been so in love with her that it was like I was ill, but I never wanted it to stop, and now that it has, my whole world has been torn apart. I just felt so miserable inside, so incomplete without her. I never even knew I could have room in my heart for love until I met Rainbow that day.

''Are you okay, darling?'' I heard Rarity's soothing voice ask from behind me. Turning, I met her royal blue eyes, nearly the same hue as mine. She looked as though she has been crying, judging from the mascara stains running down the bottom of her eyes in smudged lines that looked like a ghost's tears.

''Rarity...how much did Dash mean to you? You and her friends, I mean.'' I asked out of the blue and ignored the question. Rarity gave me an odd look at the random question and levitated over what was once my torn-up vault gear. I thanked her as I put it on, amazed at how accurate the measurements were. I saw a tear go down Rarity's cheek before she responded.

''Rainbow was the world to us. We did everything together, including saving Equestria on many occasions. We may of had our differences, but no matter what, we all loved her.'' her eyes panned down and a few tears escaped. I seriously had no idea that she was thought highly of although there was hints that expressed it. I could only pull her in for a gentle hug.

''I'm sorry, Rarity.'' I said as I held onto her. With a hoof, she pushed my chest so that she could look me in the eyes, a solemn look was present on her face, yet she gave me an odd look.

''Whatever do you mean? Rainbow didn't die because of you, darling.''

''Actually...'' I began as I looked down and sighed softly. ''...Rainbow did die because of me. I wasn't sure about it at first, but after some thought it did occur to me that it happened because of what I did. When I told you all that I was under control of the Enclave, I shot Rainbow in the chest.'' I couldn't look at Rarity. She gasped softly, knowing perfectly what I was saying. ''I swear I didn't mean to! I wouldn't ever assault her! It's just like the time before I myself got shot dead! They did it to me against my will!''

''Brady, Brady, calm down!'' Rarity shushed me, holding my shoulders as I began to cry some more. ''You can explain this later, but now we need to get ready. Enough time has been wasted as it is.''

*** *** ***

The funeral had been on for around an hour and everypony attending was in tears, their sorrows being the only sound that filled the air. I sat with Rainbow's friends, who were crying also. My face had grew wet long ago and so have my eyes, red and puffy from the amount I had been weeping.

The coffin that held the body of Rainbow Dash was now lowering into the ground and a few ponies that cared enough were throwing roses on top of the black casket. I can truly say I've never experienced anything more heartbreaking that losing anyone (or anypony) that I cared about.
The only thing that lingered in my mind were my thoughts of our time together. It may of been short, but I truly loved every moment I had with her.

I just wish it never had to end.

*** *** ***

I held Rainbow close as I lay beside her in my bed in my house in Megaton, one of my arms stretched over her barrel and the other gently stroking her mane. Her breaths were short and both hers and my body were sweaty from the moment we had just shared. She let out a sigh and I saw her ear twitch softly, causing me to let out a chuckle.

She slowly turned over and I saw she was smiling softly and sweetly, lust within them. In the light of the house, her magenta eyes shined like roses. A sight that made my heart sore. Her hoof moved to my cheek and pulled me closer so that our lips met in a passionate kiss before she cuddled up to me, snuggling with my chest.

''I love you.''

*** *** ***

From one broken heart to another, the sadness roamed everywhere outside in the graveyard. I stood at the foot of the grave of Rainbow Dash along with her friends and some others who I presumed had a few things to say. I watched them say their goodbyes to their departed friend before Rainbow's friends moved in to say a few words.

When my turn came, I could only cry. I placed my hand upon the top of her gravestone as I looked down at the now covered casket her body was laid to rest in.

*** *** ***

Rainbow has been buried for at least a month now and still, I find it hard to cope without her. All around Ponyville there was heartache from friend after friend to close family members or even non-relatives who were close to Rainbow that much so that they could truly be called a relative, specifically Scootaloo, a pegasus pony who I met at the funeral whom I learned was the adopted sister of Rainbow Dash, along with her friends, Apple Bloom, Applejack's little sister and Sweetie Belle, Rarity's younger sister.

My time was passed by each day with the thought of her always on my mind, my emotions feeling somewhat responsible for her death and the way she went out.

Still, doctors who treated us that day don't have a clue what killed her to this day and probably never will. It was simply passed off as a suspected miscarriage. A part of me felt angry at that. How can what happened to her be passed off as a 'miscarriage'?

I remembered her from day one, when I met her all tied up by Raiders, letting her move in with me in Megaton, taking care of her, out first kiss and the start of a relationship, all the adventures we went on.

I smiled internally.

Looking down now in the desolate graveyard, I stared down at her tombstone. It was black marble with her cutie mark etched onto it, all of the details almost lifelike. Beside it, leaning against one of the edges was a photo of her and Scootaloo, hugging closely with smiles on their faces.

I thought they looked pretty cute together and they did actually look as though they were sisters, ignoring the fact that Scootaloo didn't share the inherited trait that gave Rainbow her mane.

I wiped my eyes and looked at the other valuables that were from other ponies decent enough to have taken time to bother paying their respects. There was a picture of Rainbow and Fluttershy, hugging together, sitting comfortably next to a medium-sized framed picture of her and all of her friends together with huge smiles.

Sitting in front of it, however, was a small opening for one last item, a space big enough for what I had to give. Leaning down, I lightly placed a picture of her and myself down in the empty gap. It was lightly stained in blood and had a few smears from tears on it but to us, those were memories that we shared and forever will share, even in death.

Getting back up, I took one final look at the grave and let a single tear streak down my cheek and impact with the floor. Before I turned, I gently blew a kiss to the grave and slowly walked away, my head hung down in misery all the way.

I stopped at the graveyard gates before looking over my shoulder and whispering for one final time before leaving, something that I would always mean and forever will feel:

''I love you, Dashie.''

PreviousChapters Next