• Published 1st Aug 2015
  • 3,200 Views, 1,640 Comments

Life of a Wanted Changeling Season 3: Tyrants, Terrorists, and Tiaras, Oh My! - Down with Chrysalis



The continued adventures of you, Bugze the Changeling! (Comment-Driven Story)

  • ...
21
 1,640
 3,200

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 75: Reactions

Intro:

“Mommy, is something wrong?” your daughter asks at your hesitation.
You look into her blue eyes and see hesitance.

“He’s…” sighing again, you say “I’m not going to sugarcoat it honey, your father isn’t doing too well.”
She seems taken aback, but she asks anyway,

“What happened Mommy?” You hate the sad, scared look in her eyes, and though you want her to be ignorant of the truth, it’s not what’s best.

ThePonySpartan’s Comment

"Your father, he..." and yet still you hesitate. Bugze’s haunted look and drone of guilt way heavy on your mind.
Your daughter looks at you in confusion for a bit before widening her eyes, coming to the wrong conclusions.

"N-no... he didn't... he promised..." she whimpers a bit.

“No No, that's not…” she looks back up at you at your insistence before you give her a small calming smile, "Don't worry sweetie, he didn't break his promise to you... he just unintentionally caused something terrible."

“H-he didn’t kill Trixie?” she asks sounding hopeful, which causes you to lose your smile.

“N-Not exactly…” at her confused look you continue, “What happened was nothing that he sought the situation was…” you take a breath and get right to it.
"The show mare, she... struck herself, ending her own life."
Nightshade gasps in shock, covering her mouth.

“S-So Trixie’s…?” she trails off, not wanting to say the word, so you nod which causes her to gasp again.

"The ponies around didn't witness what truly happened, and they all believe that your father used his own hooves to end her."

"B-but… daddy didn't do it, right?" she asks again, causing your heart to ache a bit for even having to reassure the notion.
You shake your head.

"As I said my precious, he did not break his promise to you.”

“Why? Why would Trixie do that?”

“She thought…she thought that it would finally make your father and everypony else forgive her.”

“B-But-“

“That mare was broken Nightshade, and that Amulet she wore only served to shatter her further. She needed help and was given only our scorn. None of us expected it to happen. Least of which your father…" You look down towards your path. Nightshade hesitates before catching back up to you.

“I…I hated Trixie. I hated that she…But I didn’t want…” she stammers, and you place a hoof upon her back.

“You’re not the only one honey. She was broken, and it’s too late for anypony to try and fix her. As harsh as it may sound, we have to try and move on from the ending of her life.”
She looks down at this processing your words, you do not remove your changeling’s hoof from her back.

“So Trixie’s…Gone…and everypony thinks Dad did it?” she asks in sorrow.

“Yes, and No child,” you reply with your own sigh. She looks back up to you so you continue.

“Celestia arrived and gave the Elements to the Deadly Six. They had every intention of using them,” her eyes widen at that.

“E-Even Ms. Fluttershy?” she asks.

You grit your teeth at her name, but you keep your voice level. Both she and Bugze are acquaintances of that tart.

“Y-Yes. Even her. She foolishly believed that your father would be…purified. She held no malice for him…

Just for me, you think but don’t say. Shaking your head you continue.

“But yes, they were in the process of using the Elements upon us, until I intervened.”
She seems confused at first, but then asks,

"What did you do?"

"I took control of your father and broke them out of their ritual…” you sigh at this next part, “But in the process, I accidentally revealed to them my identity.”
You still feel foolish for this oversight. But you were panicked. Bugze had become wounded on a mental level, and they were about to end all of your lives. You did not want to feel that pain again, but more importantly, you did not want to be taken from him…

“After that, they sought to hit us with the Elements again, but I managed to escape, and here we are now. It’s…It’s going to be harder now Nightshade. Because now that they know, they will never stop hunting me.”

“Wh-Why?” Nightshade asks, knocking you out of your musings.

“What?”

“I asked why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do they want to hunt you so badly? Why does it matter that they knew who you were?”
You look at her in confusion.

“B-Because I am-Was Nightmare Moon.”

“So? I mean, I know Nightmare Night is all about you, but all the stories about you are just fairy tales, you don’t eat ponies,” she points out.

“But that isn’t all I’m known for Nightsha-"

“And yeah, I know that you and Princess Luna used to be like how you and Dad are now, but why would any of that matter?”
You sigh again.

“Honey, the truth is far more unpleasant than the reality.” She raises an eyebrow at that. You hadn’t realized she didn’t know the full extent of your past. “Yes, that Princess and I were similar to your father and I, but the difference was that we were…we were one being. Together, we sought to bring about Eternal Night and rule Equestria,” you think back in sadness.

“R-Really?” your daughter asks a bit hesitantly, and you reluctantly nod your head.

“She and I tried it a thousand years ago, and the Elements sent us into the moon where we existed between life and death till three years ago. Again, we set out to enact our plans, but were stopped by the Elements once more. That time, she and I were separated. I would have perished, had your father not found me…And now thanks to my shouts of desperation, they recognized my voice and know I’m the reason He has his monstrous power.”

She takes in this information, but not once do steps falter as she walks beside you.

"So... you were a villain? Like a legit one who was evil?"
You look at your daughter in sadness.

"Yes my precious, I was. I'm sorry that I have never told you."

"Well... you aren't anymore, right?” she chirps causing your heart to do a loop de loop.

“I…well…” you trail off. You’ve thought of this very question off and on for some time. You still don’t know how to classify yourself, for they say even evil has loved ones. But the other night, when you confessed to Bugze your actions, when he accepted and embraced you, when you were within his arms you felt…Good.

“You've changed haven’t you? You helped Dad take down all those stupid Knights, and you saved Daddy that time when you were sick a couple months back.”
You put a hoof to the chest scar on Bugze’s body. A wound that should have killed him, but you stopped that. You stopped that for his sake, not yours.

“That makes you a good guy right?” Nightshade asks a bit more chipper.
You sigh and give a small smile,

“You certainly have your father’s optimism.”
She gives her own smile and says,

“You’re my mommy. I love you no matter what. I don’t care if you used to be bad, because you’re a good guy now. Just like Catmare."

Your smile widens at that. Out of all your bug’s pieces of entertainment, you never felt more of a connection than with the fictional mare you appropriated your new name from.

You stop, and she stops as well before you wrap her up in a big hug.

“Thank you sweet one, I love you too. Mayhaps I am a good guy. The rest of the world though does not know what we do. But I tell you this my child, I may not always be nice to others, but good isn’t always nice,” you say as you snuggle her. She reciprocates in kind.

If only I had my own arms to hug you…

After that lovely little bonding moment, you two continue your walk, and you feel a little lighter.

“See, you aren’t the boogeymare mommy,” she says happily. “And since you and dad are good guys, the Elements shouldn’t work on you right?”
You stiffen a bit at the question. You honestly don’t know. But then again,

“Honey, I’ve been hit by and survived their magic twice, I do not want to make assumptions and chance a third encounter.”

“Oh…I guess that makes sense,” Nightshade muses. “Oh, and they might actually hurt Uncle Sombra…”


"Uncle WHAT?!" you reply hotly, hoping that you didn’t hear what you think you just heard.

“I, uh, I didn’t say that I said, uh…Dat Punk Sombra, heh heh…” she stammers.
You know she’s lying, but before you can call her out for it, she changes the subject.

“Oh, and Mom, one more thing I don’t get. Why didn’t dad escape? Why did you have to take control in the first place?”
Putting your head down you respond,

“Your father…the show mare ended her life in front of him. She did it because she thought it would make him happy. But it didn’t my child. Your father broke as well.”
She falters a step,

“Daddy’s…broken?”
Nodding you explain,

“Broken by guilt. Guilt that overtook him thanks to that fiend!” you growl.

“Fiend?” she asks.

"...Sombra," you growl his name for what he’s done to you all.
Nightshade looks shocked at this.

“What did he do?” she asks.

“He ensured that your father’s guilt overwhelmed him till he was little more than a gibbering mess…he tried to have your father killed.”
After that declaration, Nightshade looks down as she walks, and you notice a look on her face. A look of betrayal.

“That…that little…” She grits her teeth and shakes her head roughly, but you do not say anything. Sometimes ones emotions must be worked out by themselves.
After walking in silence for some time, she finally looks back up to you with a worried look and asks,

Just_another_guy’s Comment

"Mommy, can I go see daddy?"

You look into her worried eyes.
You wonder if seeing her father the way he is a good idea. The thought of her witnessing Bugze's eyes full of guilt, sorrow and regret worries you greatly. The sight of him laying there looking dead, but not dead…
You close your eyes tight before they well up, you don’t want her to see that sight.

"Sweetheart... now is not the right time for that" You say with a heavy heart. "He…he just needs rest"
This saddens Nightshade, she looks up to you and asks,

"Is it like when you needed rest?”
Bugze’s ears drop on your head,

"You will see him when he's a little better" Nightshade gives a sad pout "but I promise he'll be okay, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye" you say as you perform the motions of the legendary Pinkie Promise.
This gets a small smile out of Nightshade, but you can tell she's still somewhat upset.

"*Sigh* Okay mom... "
She then has a questioning look,

Kichi’s Comment

“What about the Doctor? You think he can help?”
You groan at the thought of that infernal Time Lord.

“I doubt it. That manipulative madstallion never has been straight with us.”

“Well, still, you think there’s a shot?” she asks.

*Sigh* We have no way to contact him Nightshade. Your father no longer has the note in which to speak with him. And seeing as how he’s abandoned us and that wall eyed mare, I doubt he would come.”

“Oh, right,” she mutters. “I wonder why he’s done that though, I thought he and Ms. Derpy were, well…”

“Relationships in adults is a complicated matter Nightshade, they aren’t always as so simple.”
She nods at this as you two continue to walk.

“So, you said we’re going to Great Grandbuggy’s Bunker?”

“That is correct child. It’s the safest place we can hide while your father recovers.

Kersey’s Comment

Fireheart1945’s Comment

“But what are we gonna eat?” she asks.

“Huh?”

“All the food was spoiled and we had to throw it out last time remember?”
You think back and do remember that being an issue. You mentally kick yourself because you personally haven’t worried about food for years.

You look into the Inventory and call out,

“You! Mechanical Beast!”
Mangle sticks her head up and gives you a sneer.

“Bring forth whatever food supplies are within the Inventory now.”
The plush bot rolls her eyes before barking and entering the depths.

“Surely your father thought ahead for this situation,” you mutter to her.

When the fox comes back up, you take stock of all you have.

One box of a Baker’s Dozen Muffins
3 Cans of Soup
3 Boxes of Crackers

“That’s it?” you ask incredulously as the fox nods.

“I think he only packed enough to get us to Appleloosa,” Nightshade pipes in.

“Ugh. Well we’ll just have to make do with these supplies for now. I don’t wish to draw attention to ourselves so soon.”

*Sigh* I miss the days when I would eat more food than an entire Hoofball team on a regular basis,” your daughter muses.


LATER

After awhile of walking, you and Nightshade eventually come back to the entrance of the bunker.

Odd, I thought we camouflaged it better when we started our Bounty Hunting journey, you ponder as the door to the ladder is not covered.

The both of you descend the ladder and close the hatch, before you use Mangle playing a voice clip of Bugze to get inside.
The Bunker is seemingly just how you left it, but you two decide to go straight to bed. The bunker isn’t going anywhere.

You lay Bugze’s body down upon the bed as Nightshade curls up next to his barrel.

“I apologize, but I won’t see you tonight honey, I need to ensure that your father rests well,” you say to her.
She gives a yawn and nods.

“OK Mommy. Tell him, that I love him, no matter what.”
You brush her mane as you smile and say,

“I shall my dear. I shall.”
You wait till she falls asleep, before you close Bugze’s eyes and enter back into the mindscape.


In The Mindscape

You travel to the recovery chamber, and find that his eyes are closed as he breathes steadily, still holding onto that bear. You give a small smile at that as you sit beside his bed and take his hoof into yours, just like he did for you for all those months.

“Rest easy my little changeling…”

As you sit by his side you push the worries of the day, and the coming days aside. You will be hunted, you will run, and you will hide. The whole world will know you are back. But until Bugze is better, you won’t worry about that. You need to be strong for him and Nightshade.

So as you stay strong for him, the rest of the world continues to turn.



POV Change: Discord


It’s been a little while since you’ve left Celestia in the Hospital, and for once you’ve actually kept your word.
You’ve gone to visit the cute little mare that against all odds convinced you of the Magic of Friendship. Well, mostly.
Fluttershy is an absolute blast to hang around with. If only her other friends gave you chance. Some days, you wonder if he’s even worth the trouble of being “Good” if she’s the only one putting in any effort. But usually, all you have to do is see her smile and laugh at your little jokes and you put those thoughts aside for another day.

Today however, she is not happy at all, and that makes you feel upset. You hate feeling upset.
What she is feeling is a mix of worry and anger over Nightmare Moon’s little slip of the tongue.

And here I thought we could string along the mystery another season, you think coyly.


Even though that cat’s now out of the bag now, you know that The Hooded Offender and Company can still cause some delicious chaos. You almost thought you’d have to cut the fun short when you heard about the Trixie mare, but it wasn’t exactly HO’s fault, so you decided it best to keep letting him roam around.

But you can worry about that later, right now you’re listening to your normally quiet friend huff up a storm over some tea.
The fact that she hasn’t noticed that the teapot is currently alive while smoking a cigar made from tea leaves and writing down notes on a clipboard shows how emotional she is.


“And then that evil witch says she’s been helping him since day one. HA! As If! She says lies like that then goes and stabs Trixie? Hmmph!” she declares with an angry sip of tea.
“She made me really doubt myself, and I actually apologized and tried to be her friend. That evil lying witch.”

“Wow Fluttershy, you sure like saying Witch don’t you?” you mutter as you read the clipboard’s notes.

“Well, I don’t normally curse, and I try not to make a habit out of it. What I’d really want to call is her is a bi-“

“HOLD THE PHONE!” you interrupt before she says something that will tarnish your image of her.
She blushes a little at that,

“Sorry…” she then sighs and sets her tea cup down.

Oh boy, here comes the waterworks you think in dread as the tea pot opens up a miniature umbrella.
Her eyes do well up, but she doesn’t start bawling.

“Discord?” she asks cautiously.

“Yes bestie?” you reply.

“I…I feel so bad that all these years, I really didn’t help Hoody. When I found out about HER, I knew I hated her. I guess a part of me knew she was evil…”

Oh if only you knew, you think passively.


“But…But I didn’t do anything about her. Before I even knew she was Nightmare Moon, I wanted to get rid of her with the Elements, but I held off because Hoody told me that he didn’t want her gone…I knew he was being manipulated.”
She takes a breath and lets it out.

“And now look what’s happened yet again. I saw his eyes Discord. What he did to Trixie horrified and hurt him. He was going to let us save him with the Elements until SHE intervened. And now I know he’s out there, hurting and sad all because of that monster.”
Her tears start falling at that as she sniffles and your own heart breaks a little at the sad sight.

“I wish I could have saved him sooner…He’s one of my most dearest friends and I didn’t save him sooner…”

The teapot makes a note and underlines it before holding it up for your review.

Getting a “wants to be more than friends” vibe from her the note says.
You nod in agreement to the Teapot, but you keep your mouth shut.

That would be an awfully rude thing to say at this moment. Yeesh HO, Fluttershy, the hick, the skittle covered one and all the others, you’re turning into a regular ol heartbreaker.

She then surprises you as she takes your lion paw into her hooves in a begging gesture.

“Discord, I know you’ve had trouble finding him…probably because of Nightmare Moon.”

Or rather my own scheming.

She then gives you a teary eyed look and you melt a little. Literally, your tail turns to liquid.

“Please…Please. If there’s anything you can do. Some way you can find him, can you help us save him before she makes him do anything else?”
To this your ears droop as you look into that sad face.


Not fair Fluttershy, you bemoan.
It’s hard to say no to that face, and you don’t want to straight up lie to her, but you figure that as a good friend, you can give her some small truth.
Or rather a big one that not even Celestia knows.

You place your talon over her hoof, let out a breath and say,

“I’m sorry Fluttershy. Believe me when I tell you that I have absolutely no idea where he is.”

“Y-You don’t?” she whimpers.
You shake your head, because it’s actually the truth. A bout a month or so back when you met him on the road, there would have been nowhere he could have hid in the world, not that you were looking. But once Celestia called you in, it’s like there’s no sign of him, which really interests you.

“At all?” she asks.

"In all honesty Fluttershy, no matter what spell, frequency, or snapped-in device I try to use, I can't find any trace of your unlucky friend." You then snap your paw and a mini-radar room appears that just has big Green "X's" on every screen, "It's like something put a big fog over him."
She looks at the screens before shaking her head.

“How…How does she do it…?” she vents to herself.

The thing is I don’t think Crazy Lulu is behind this, you think to yourself as you look over the screens with a scowl.
So that just leaves the question of who is?

The tea kettle then writes a note and holds it up.
Plot Convenience?
Pursing your lips you snap the kettle back into being just a tea container.

Smart Flank.

BrownDog’s Comment

POV Change: Princess Luna

Your knees wobble as your sister’s words fully register. You take in deep gasping breaths as the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

“And…yy-you’re sure?” you stammer.
Celestia lets out a sad sigh,

“Yes sister…it’s HER.”
Your breathing gets more rapid as your older sister wraps you up in a hug. She cradles you as you both sit upon the floor, just like you did when you were little.

“Why…Why can’t I ever be rid of her?” you bemoan as you remember the bitter, vile hatred. The lies you believed, the deaths you almost caused, and the stasis of a dream like state you felt for a thousand years.
The tears come to your eyes as you hug your sister tightly.

“She won’t have you again Luna. She’ll never have you again…” she whispers soothingly.
For the longest time, you two do not say anything as you take comfort in each other.

“B-But Sister…she has taken another.”
You feel her nod.

“Yes Lulu. It was as you surmised last year. There is darkness in The Hooded Offender’s heart, we just didn’t know till now how familiar that darkness was.”

It’s true, you identified with The Offender. You wanted to save him. Now with this truth revealed you realize one thing.

“It’s my fault…It’s always been my fault.”

“No Luna it- “

“From the very beginning it has been. If it weren’t for me, that changeling wouldn’t have been possessed. I brought her upon this world with my hatred and jealousy, and now more suffer because of it.”
She then holds you at arm’s length,

“Luna, listen to me. This isn’t your fault. We all thought her defeated three years ago, we had no way of knowing otherwise.”

“B-But the Offender…”

“We will save him Luna, just as we did for you. Your personal quest has become our main objective. We will stop her Luna.”
You nod as you believe your sister’s words.

“She will not go down lightly. That power she yields within the changeling is deadly.”

“I’m well aware, and even if my plans for Twilight come to fruition, I still wish for more help.”

“You speak of Shining Armor’s project?”

Nodding again, she says, “Yes sister. We still have time before they are completed, but I would rather they be ready for when we do find the Offender again. I don’t want to risk Twilight and her friend’s safety, not after everything they’ve been through.”

“So, what will we do till then?” you ask.

“We will spread the truth, and until the day we are ready, we will have to try to live our daily lives. If Twilight succeeds in the coming days, then perhaps the reverie will bring joy to the land.”

“One can only hope sister,” you reply as you lay your head on under her chin, “One can only hope…”

Kersey’s Comment

POV Change: Shining Armor
Location Classified

“A-and you’re positive of this?” you ask as your ruler stands before you with a hollow look.

“Yes Shining Armor. I’m positive.”
You sit back down in your chair and stare at your desk.

“Nightmare Moon…This whole time…”
It’s a lot to take in. For the longest time, you thought you knew who you were hunting, what his motivations and mannerisms were. With this bit of news, you realize you have no idea.

“Do not fret Captain, nopony could have foreseen this turn of events,” she reassures you.
She’s right, still it makes you wonder what else you don’t know.

“This. This changes everything.”

“In one regard yes,” Celestia agrees, “We now know who the true enemy is, and that there is an innocent that needs saving.”

“But in the other regards?” you ask.

“Even if he’s innocent, when joined with her he is still a very powerful fighter who will be a danger to many if we can’t successfully subdue him. He needs to be beaten before your sister and her friends can use the Elements of Harmony.”

You sit up in your chair at that. “So I assume that you didn’t come down here to shut down the project?”
Shaking her head, she says,

“No Captain. If anything, I want to know if time schedule can be moved up?”

“Moved up? By how much?”

“Two to Three months time perhaps?” she asks.

“That soon?” you ask flabbergasted.

“If possible.”
You freeze at that, before looking back down at your paperwork.

“I…I don’t know Princess. There was still planned to be at least half a year of finalization. I mean, it’s feasible, but I just expected to have more time. Not to mention the fact that it would take some time to find a suitable replacement candidate, train them, make sure they were trustworthy, get them clearance and get used to the suit. All we have are myself and Flash…and well, I guess Strong Head.”

She winces at that,

“You would still use him?”

You groan, “I don’t want to ma’am, I’d rather have someone new, but unfortunately he’s the only other one trained as much as we have, and has actually flown in the field, disastrous as that situation turned out. If you want to push the time, he’d be the only other one in a suit with us.”
She curls her lips and looks to the side at that info before looking back to you.

“Do you think Flash Sentry and yourself would be able to control him in the field?”

“Well he’s already in hot water, if he screws up and disobeys orders, he’ll be in lava.”


Meanwhile with Flash Sentry

“Soldier did I give you permission to eat that Tapioca Pudding?!” Flash yells at the top of his lungs.

“Sir No Sir!” Strong Head belts in fear.

“Then why in Celestia’s green earth are you eating my Tapioca Pudding?!”

“I’m sorry sir! I was hungry!”

“Drop down and give me pushups till you return that pudding!” Flash orders.

“Sir?” Strong asks in confusion.

“The pudding is garbage now! Return it to the earth from wence it came! Pushup till you puke!”
Whimpering the guard gets down and starts doing push ups while Flash smiles.


Back with You

“We’d be able to handle him, even if we’d rather not.”
She nods before you see her look down in sadness.

“I don’t mean to put pressure upon you Shining. In fact, I expected this week to be much more organized.”
You raise an eyebrow at that.

“Don’t worry Princess. The transport of the Crimson Knights to their new prison in the badlands will be taken care of.”
She looks up at that a bit surprised.

“Oh…yes. *Ahem*, very good.”
You know she probably meant something else, but if she’s not willing to tell, you won’t pry.

“And do not worry about the time table’s shifting on us, we understand our duty in this program. Even if that duty has changed.”

“Very well Captain,” she says with a nod. “If you think it can be done, make it so.”

“Ma’am!” you stand up and salute her.
She turns to leave, before she stops and looks back to you.

“Do you wish to tell Cadence, or shall I?” she asks with a sad expression.
Your eyes widen, before you too look down in sadness.

“I’ll tell her Princess.”
With that she nods and leaves the room as you put your face in your hooves.

Cady’s going to be devastated…

BrownDog’s Comment

POV Change: Cadence

Shining looks at you a bit guiltily.

“But…but how? How could he have been?” you trail off as your world crumbles a bit.

“We’re not sure how, but sometime between the Invasion and his reappearance in Canterlot, he was taken as the new host of Nightmare Moon.”

“I…I…” you stutter.

“Cadence, I know it’s hard to hear and…and I’m sorry that I doubted you on his integrity.”
You see that he really means it. That he feels guilty for all the times he obsessed over brining in Bugze, and the arguments you had over it.

“But…that night at the Gala, I…he didn’t even seem to know who Nightmare Moon was.”
Shining looks down at that,

“According to what Princess Celestia has told me, he may not even be aware that it’s Nightmare Moon possessing him.”

“B-but Shiny, Bugze is still in there. He still wants to help others and do good and-“

“I know, I know,” he says with a look of shame on his face. “But what he wants and what he does are most likely being twisted.” He then lets out a sigh. “All those times Cady, he told me he wanted to help, and then he would go too far, I labeled him reckless, a nuisance…a monster…But I’ve been victim blaming this whole time.”
Awhile ago, you’d have been happy to hear him siding with you on Bugze, but now your heart feels like it’s been stamped on. You embrace your husband as he returns it with gusto.

“When the project is finished, we’re going to have to use them. They’ll be needed to ensure that Twiley and her friends can get a straight shot. I’m…I’m still going to have to hurt him. I have to hurt him in order to save him,” he despondently admits.

“Shining,” you whimper to him with mascara running down your face, “He gave me food and water, he kept me alive to make sure I could come back to you. He’s still one of the best friends I’ve ever had. Even if he’s possessed, please…please promise me you’ll bring him through this alive.”



POV Change: Vinyl Scratch

You rub your temples with both hooves. Partly because you’re annoyed, and partly because the bender you’ve been on to keep the hangover at bay is slowly wearing off.

“Man, this time, THIS time I’m quitting drinking,” you moan.

"You’ve said that again and again Vinyl, the day you finally do, is the day I am a unicorn,” comes the terse voice of your BFF Octavia. You give an annoyed glare at her from behind your shades.

“I will one day, just you wait. And besides, don’t get all huffy with me just because you’ve got your tail in a knot,” you huff back.
She lets out a sigh and says,

“I’m sorry Vinyl, it’s just…I’ve had a lot on my mind.”
Her mane is a bit messy, and you know she’s been tugging on it, but you can’t say you blame her. What happened with the Offender was shocking for everypony.

“Octy, come on, you can’t keep stressing about this. Sure none of us saw this coming,” you comfort.

“I know. To think that we never knew that about him,” she sighs.

“Well sure, but even still, I’d still take him to the sack,” you admit.
Octavia just gives you a confused look,

“What?”

“Well, I’ll be honest, even before he put his hood down, I never thought that I’d be attracted to a freaking Changeling,” you admit. “And with it off, he’s still kind of exotic, what with that orange hair and everything.”
She rolls her eyes and declares,

“I wasn’t talking about him being revealed as a Changeling Vinyl.”

“You weren’t?” you ask confused.
Still flabbergasted, she says,

“No. I think that that part doesn’t matter so much as he is possessed by Nightmare Moon!”
Your eyes widen at this as you chuckle nervously,

“Oh…right…I guess I kind of forgot about that part.”

“How could you possibly forget something that big?” she asks, aggravating your head again.

“OK, maybe I really should cut back on the booze,” you declare rubbing your temples again.
Letting out a frustrated groan, she turns away from you.

“I still don’t know what to feel Vinyl. I feel like I’ve been sucker punched. Like everything I’ve believed is wrong…” she mutters sadly.
Sighing once again, you pat her on the back.

“I suppose…I suppose I never thought about his actions in Fillydelphia as real, until I saw Trixie…” she tampers of as she shudders, but still you let her vent.
“Did he mean ANYTHING with his actions? Or were those just the workings of the Boogeymare?”
Your head pounds, you are annoyed, and you hate seeing your friend hurt.

“Look, Octy. I know you put this guy up on a pedestal, but more often than not, you get disappointed when you learn more about them.”

“But…but he saved me…he saved us from Discord, he’s stopped other evils in this world…Why would Nightmare Moon make him do those things?”
Shrugging you say,

“I don’t know. And even if we could ask the guy, who knows if we’d get a straight answer.”
She sighs again and looks down at her hooves.

“I just…I just don’t know how to act anymore. The Horde was based on following an example for good…”

“Then keep following that path,” you encourage.

“Huh?” she looks up.

“Keep following the good path. You started your little fan club to help spread the message of helping others and fighting evil. Just because your mascot let you down, doesn’t mean you should abandon what you believe in.”
She looks at you a bit surprised.
“Hey, all I’m saying is that you believe in those ideals, and they’re still good ones.”

“…Vinyl Scratch, you are absolutely full of wisdom sometimes,” she declares with a small.

“Yeah, well, I’m drunk so…” you shrug.
She giggles at that, which makes you smirk, before she looks away again.

“Perhaps you’re right. Perhaps my friends and I can still do good…even if I still feel heartbroken…”

ThePonySpartan’s Comment

POV Change: Spike

You sit in the Cutie Mark Crusader Clubhouse with Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, Scootaloo and their two rich friends. You're sitting beside Apple Bloom with your arms crossed in deep thought as the others talk over things. Well, everyone except Applebloom who looks deep in thought as well.

"It makes so much sense now! I always knew The Offender wasn't bad." Scootaloo chirps.

"Yeah! There always seemed something off about him. He sounded like a nice guy that didn’t like evil. Spike told us all about the times he appeared at the horde meetings, right Spike?” Sweetie Belle adds.
You don’t answer because you aren’t paying much attention. Your mind is a cluster-buck at the moment.
First and foremost, the revelation that The Offender was hosting Nightmare Moon, the mare that nearly took over Equestria and tried to kill Twilight and the girls.

He was always such a nice guy every time I met him, so I always felt confused when he would rampage. This makes more sense now. I can’t believe someone so good got corrupted. I bet I could help him somehow with my new magic cancelling fire and-

“Spike?” Sweetie Belle shakes your shoulder trying to get your attention.

“Huh? Yeah?! What?” you stammer as you are brought out of your thoughts.

“I was trying to ask you about those Horde meetings that the Offender actually attended,” she repeats.

"Oh, right, what do you want to know?"

"Um. How did the Offender act towards you? You always told us he was-"

“Yeah, yeah, Right,” you start cutting her off and looking to Diamond and Silver. “Well, he was always authoritative and tough, and he wanted the best for eveypony. Every time he showed up, I’d look up to him. He always…he always treated me like an adult and taught me the importance of family. Also, he saved me, Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Rarity from dragons. I owe him a lot.”
The two rich fillies take in your information with awe.

“Wow…” Diamond says.

“You sure do idolize him huh?” Silver asks.

“Of course I do. He’s a hero. I can't stop believing in him just because he's been possessed.”

"I owe him an apology..." Apple Bloom pipes up causing you all to look to her.

"Whoa, that's the first thing you said today Apple Bloom," Scootaloo says with a grin.

“Yeah, and what do you mean by that?” asks Diamond.

"Well... three years ago when all of this started, I met him and helped him out. I liked him. But then when…well, when Trixie’s first show came,” you all wince at her name, “He hit my big sis with some magic and hurt her, so I got real mad at him for the longest time and gave him a cold shoulder.”

“Oh, is that why you always looked upset when I talked about him?” asks Scootaloo?
She nods and says,

“Yeah. I never knew if it was an accident or not, and I guess I never really cared…But now I realize the things he did in the past were all because of that blasted Nightmare Moon!” She stands up at this and declares, "I want to save him, as my apology for doubting him."
To this, Sweetie and Scootaloo stand up and say at the same time,

"Yeah! I wanna save him as a horde member!" They both look at each other, giggle and say, "Jinx!"
You stand up as well.

"I want to save him as a friend. And to pay him back for all the good things he's done for me."
Diamond and Silver look at you four and stutter,

“Uuhhh, We want to help too, but we don’t really have any personal experience with him,” Silver Spoon explains.

“Oh,” Applebloom says as she Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle start thinking.

“Umm, OH!” Sweetie yelps, “Help him for saving Nigtshade the other day.”

“Oh yeah, he did tells us that he got her back to Mr. Tennant,” Applebloom thinks aloud.

“I guess that works, We’ll help him for saving Nightshade…Where is she by the way?” asks Diamond Tiara.

“Or her dad for that matter?” adds Silver.

You look down at that as you are reminded of the other big thing weighing on your mind.


“Actually, we have no idea,” Scootaloo explains.

“There shack got destroyed when the Offender was fighting…Her,” Sweetie trails off.

“The Offender told us that she and her dad were safe and already long gone…”

“Do you think he was telling the truth?” asks Diamond.

“Yeah, how do we know it wasn’t Nightmare Moon lying?” Silver adds in.

“He wasn’t lying. He was calming down. I know it was the Changeling Hero and not that monster,” you say with conviction.
They all look to you.

“I already looked all over for her because I wanted to…” you trail off as you rub your cheek before shaking your head, “I think…I think that Nightshade and Mr. Tennant just took the opportunity to leave. She always told me that they weren’t going to stay in Ponyville forever. I just wish…I just wish she’d have said goodbye.”
They all wilt their ears at that.

“Oh…” Applebloom says.
You then look back up and say,

“She told me that when they did leave again that she would write so we just have to wait I guess.” You then smile again and say, “But she always was a fan of the Offender, so I’m sure she’s still devoted to him, Nightmare Moon or not.”
They all agree with you, before Applebloom speaks up again.

“Spike’s right. Nightshade wouldn’t let a thing like Nightmare Moon stop her from trying to help somepony. And I know we’ll see her again.” You feel a lot better knowing someone else thinks so too. “I declare that from this day on, the Cutie Mark Crusaders will believe that the Hooded Offender can be saved,” she says as she puts her hoof out.

“Heck Ya!” Scootaloo declares putting her hoof on top of Appleblooms.

“Count me in!” Sweetie squeeks, and places her hoof onto the pile.

“We’re in,” Silver and Diamond add their hooves.
Smiling, you say nothing as you place your claw over theirs.
As you do, the CMC declare,

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS HORDE MEMBERS YAY!!!”

You all then break the hoof pile, a new purpose driving you all.
Twilight and the others may be atoning for the last three years, but you, you will do what you always have done. Believe in the Hero that is the Hooded Offender, and believe that he would be saved.

TheRutherford’s Comment

POV Change: Doctor Stable

You are checking up on your newest patient, 1 Trixie Lulamoon. She looks like she's been through the ringer, but considering all the Hooded Offender, or rather Nightmare Moon did to her, you were expecting much worse. Still, she is lucky to even still be breathing having been clinically dead for nearly 5 minutes.

Most of the damage was superficial scratches and bruising that seem to have been healed, possibly by that magic amulet. One of her hooves had been broken, and four of her ribs had been cracked, but the major injury was the near fatal stab wound.
You look over the file again, even though by this point you have it memorized.

The weapon used was a jagged piece of crystal which opened up her intestines and caused several other internal injuries. Due to the angle of the wound, one of her lungs had been collapsed. There was also external burning around the wound which will form into a nasty scar, a vain attempt at cauterization, though it did stop Ms. Lulamoon from completely bleeding out

Still it it’s a miracle that after her heart stopped that Princess Celestia was there to get her to the ER in time.
Looking from the paperwork to the patient you let out a sigh.

She’s been through a traumatic experience. When she wakes again, she may need psychiatric help.

Almost as if responding to your thoughts, you here a quick intake of breath as your patient’s head starts moving along the pillow.
Eyes widening, you call out into the hallway.

“Nurse Redheart! Come Quickly. The patient is responsive!”
You hear the nurse acknowledge you as you turn back to Trixie.
You see her eyes slowly blink, but not open all the way.

“Hooo…Hooo…” she gasps out trying to say something.

"It's ok ma’am. You are in Ponyville Hospital. You were hurt very badly but you are safe now."
You say to her. Her head weakly tilts to look up at you.

“What…Why…?” she breathes out weakly.
You hear the sound of Nurse Redheart enter the room.

“Ms. Lulamoon, I am Dr. Stable. Do not try to strain yourself too much, you’ve survived a very traumatic ordeal.”

“S-Survi…?” she says as her eyes droop further.

“Yes ma’am. Let me be the first to tell you that we are relieved to know you can still reach consciousness,” you say in relief.
Then suddenly she does something you don’t expect, her eyes begin to well up with tears as she slowly turns her head away from you.

“Ms. Lulamoon, I know that what you’ve just been through has been tough, but you are in good hooves. We will-“

“Please…just let me die…” she whimpers shocking you and the nurse.

“Ma’am, your injuries are severe yes, but you will live and make a full reco-"

“I don’t…deserve it…just let me die...”
Again you are shocked for words.

She…she doesn’t think she deserves to live?
She slowly whimpers inter pillow, before you turn to Nurse Redheart and say,

“Give her a sedative and something for the pain, immediately.”
She nods, just as shocked as you, and administers the medicine into Trixie’s IV. Soon her crying stops as her breathing becomes more regular as she slumbers once more.

“This is…this is disconcerting,” you mutter as you look at your patient.

“I don’t think that word conveys what this is enough,” Nurse Redheart says with her ears against her head. She then looks you in the eye. “Doctor, is she exhibiting suicidal tendencies?”
You close your eyes and take a deep breath.

“She’s been through intense mental and physical trauma. It’s not unknown for mental instabilities to occur after traumatic events.” You then open your eyes and give Redheart a sad look. “This poor mare, after all that was done to save her, she feels she doesn’t deserve it…”
Redheart looks down with a frown.

“What is the procedure for this doctor?”
Letting out another sigh you explain,

“We will continue to give her medical attention, until she is completely healed, but precautions must be made to ensure that she does not attempt self harm. Limb straps, magic canceling horn rings, anything that will help.”
You then look at your clipboard.

“We will take care of her physical body as best we can, but after that…she’s going to need mental help. Something we cannot provide here.”
Nurse Redheart nods with your assessment.

“It just doesn’t seem fair Stable. After all this mare has been through.”

“Life isn’t fair Redheart. But hopefully the monster responsible will pay for this dearly.”

You then make notes upon your document.

“I’ll have to update Princess Celestia on this disturbing development. Hopefully she can pull some strings for one of the higher end wards in Canterlot.”



The Next Day

POV Change: Nightshade

You stand ready in front of a black expanse of nothing.
Yesterday was intense. You led a revolution, kissed Spike on the cheek, kicked Trixie’s butt, and then you let Daddy handle the rest. But then Mommy dropped a bombshell on you.

Trixie killed herself out of guilt. This makes you feel guilty yourself since the last thing you ever did to her was sock her in the face and tell her how much you hated her.

Maybe I could have done things differently, I know she was nuts at the time, but I was just so angry at her…It’s too late now though, you think in resignation.

That bombshell was one thing, but you also learned that now Mommy is the number one target because the stupid world thinks she’s evil. Add into that, Daddy is…broken and sick. Whatever that means in Adult Speak, you know from Mom’s tone that it’s not good.

And the one responsible for putting Daddy in this position, for kicking him while he’s down is someone you thought you were making progress with. Someone you thought was coming around to being your friend.

While Mommy is watching over Daddy, You’ve invaded the mindscape. Normally she’d be able to keep you out, but her worry has given you access.
Lighting up your horn, A cage materializes out of the darkness.

Encircled with what seems to be hundreds of chains, with burn marks and damage upon his body is King Sombra.
You hear the sound of some awful movie being played and with a spark of your horn, it shuts off.

He opens his eyes as he lets out a breath and looks to you. You stare back at him in a face full of hurt, anger and sadness.
After a moment, he looks down and to the side away from you. His face seems…sullen. He lets out a sigh as he says,

“I had wondered how long it would take before you came to speak to me…just get it over with.”
You don’t yell, you don’t scream, you don’t lose control. You just ask him, the hurt evident in your voice.

“Why? Why did you try to have Daddy and Mommy killed?”
He closes his eyes and takes another deep breath, as his face becomes more apprehensive.


WHAT DO YOU DO?


Outro:

Author's Note:

Hey Hive Mind,

I’m so glad that you’re all still here. I felt that I was taking a gamble with the last chapters. The fact that you’ve all responded with enthusiasm and support makes me feel more confident as your writer, and happy to be a part of this community :pinkiehappy:. To all those that got hit hard by “The Feels” I’ll go ahead and admit that as I was writing those scenes, I got worked up a bit myself (I’m glad I’m not the only one) Thank you for sticking with the story guys.

Now onto this chapter. Let’s have a little conversation between our favorite filly and our hostile roommate. They’ve been working together for many months to be friends, but has this incident destroyed all that progress? Was it all a lie? Or is there a reason why Sombra is apprehensive and pouting over having to explain himself to Nightshade? Let’s find out.

Usual rules apply. No Princesses, Discord, Elements, Doctor, Revealing Identities, Killing, ETC.
And as always, Have Fun.

PreviousChapters Next