• Published 15th May 2013
  • 4,637 Views, 145 Comments

A New Equestria - ZeirMakavar



With the finding of a new lush land Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack are sent out to found Equestria's first colony.

  • ...
7
 145
 4,637

Pink ponies and a mystery

Chapter 3

Pink ponies and a mystery

Dear Celestia,
It's been over a week now sense Discord arrived to help us with our, situation. He informed us that it was of no issue, though that was in front of other ponies. Alone, I asked him again if he knew anything about what we had found.

What he told me, it scared me. I would ask you about what I learned in this letter, but I can't trust conventional means with such important information with in a letter that can't be sent through Spike. I fear what it could mean if the rest of Equestria were to learn of this finding.

At this I have a request.

I will need a second expedition team. But this one must be kept a secret, even from my two friends. I hate to keep them out of this, but discord assured me it was the right thing to do. Please Celestia, this one will be more important then the colony.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle.

PS, the nobles finally agreed to holding general elections for positions in the council. I hope to have them underway very soon.


Discord chuckled as Twilight left the post office. "What? Isn't your assistant best at sending letters?" He asked, getting up from his hammock. "Or am I wrong?"

"Spike is back in Ponyville Discord." Twilight smiled, walking up to the shop window behind him. "He's watching the library, making sure they don't destroy it while I'm away." She smiled, as Discord nodded.

"That makes sense." He chuckled, his paw going through the window taking a small chocolate truffle out. "I did hear that those three were the start of this Cutie Mark Crusaders club." He chuckled, plopping the truffle in his mouth. "Oh don't look at me like that Twilight, we both know Miss Star only makes them because of the boat ride." He exasperated, as Twilight glared at him still.

"That doesn't mean you can take any of them for free Discord."

"Oh fine, I'll pay." Discord sighed, bowing his head. "I assume you want me to pay for the 19 other ones I ate?"

"Yes." Twilight smiled, as the both walked into Midnight's confectionery. [1]

"Hello? We'll be open in... Oh! Hello Discord." Midnight smiled, bowing slightly to Twilight. "I didn't really expect you to come in..."

"Yes well Miss Perfect here has ordered me to pay for the truffles... Though I did attempt to inform her that... Ow! Now that wasn't necessary..." Discord blinked, rubbing his side as the glow from Twilight's horn faded away. "Fine... I get your point... how much do I owe you Midnight? I ate 20."

"20?" She blinked, looking over at the Window display. "Of the truffles I assume?" She asked, as Discord nodded eyeing Twilight's horn. "Well, then... 15 bits. Yes, 15 bits." She said, as she made the calculation in her head. She then smiled softly as Discord handed her the bits.

Twilight chuckled as they left Midnight's store, a soft smile on her face. Discord on the other hoof, was quite. "What's wrong Discord?" Twilight asked, actually concerned. "Was I a bit harsh? Though you should pay for things you take. Especially food."

"No Twilight, I was thinking about that." Discord said, quitely. "Beyond sealing the area off, again, isn't there anything you can do? To prevent ponies from going there?"

"Well I would, but the Crusaders can some how get around my protection spells." Twilight shrugged, chuckling softly. "And if I did put one up, that would only make them curious and the adults suspicious. Just sealing the area off had made the Crusaders go after it once, I don't want them to attempt a second time. Dusk has informed me that if they were to do that, he has received permission from the families to put them in a cell, for a couple of hours."

"Oh my, have they really gotten that out of hoof?" Discord asked, chuckling. "I may need to go talk with these Cutie Mark Crusaders. Maybe give them a few..."

"No. You will be giving them nothing Discord." Twilight interjected, shaking her head. "And if I hear any report of you going even near them, I will toss you into a cell myself. Do you understand Discord?"

Discord blinked, before he silently nodded. "Well, I'd ask why you won't turn me into stone... but not all of the elements are here now are they?" He asked, looking around. "Why in Equestria did Celestia break up the elements..."

"I'm not sure..." Twilight said, not having thought about it. "I guess i was to busy with keeping the colony in working order I didn't have time to think about it..." She sighed, a soft smile on her face. "Perhaps she has utmost confidence in us."

"Oh that reminds me!" Discord chuckled, looking over to the docks. "Guess who should be arriving on the boat today?"

"Who?"

"Why, my favorite element of course." Discord chuckled, as Twilight smiled.

"I see." Twilight said, looking at the docks as well. "Then wouldn't it be good to go and meet up with her before she attempts to have a party with the dockhands?"

"Oh? Then let's stall." Discord smiled, as they began their walk to the docks. "I do love a party."

Twilight shook her head, sighing softly. "Yes, I'm sure you do Discord."

When they arrived at the docks, Pinkie was already up to her tricks. Twilight smiled, as it seemed she had the same results here in the colony, as she did back home in Ponyville. "Oh hiya Twilight." Pinkie smiled, as a group of dock hands swung around attempting do dance. "Glad you could make it! I'm throwing a Pinkie's here party... Say, how did you know I was throwing a party? Are you psychic?"

"No Pinkie, I'm not." Twilight smiled, hugging Pinkie back. "I came here to greet you. Though, we'd have been here sooner had Discord not stopped to smell every flower he passed..." She looked back at Discord, who was now dancing with a berry bush he magiced to life. "Well, he did say he enjoys parties. And I do say, Pinkie... you would be the best for parties." Twilight smiled, looking back at Pinkie.

"Oh I know." She smiled, giggling in her fashion. "Rarity would have come with but she said she's busy with some things in Canterlot this week. Something about a fashion show... or was it a photo shoot? Photo bomb? Oh what ever, she's still missing the party."

Twilight nodded slightly, looking around. "So, have I missed anything back in ponyville?" She then asked, nostalgia in her voice.

"Mmm no not really." Pinkie responded, hugging Applejack and Rainbow Dash both. "Oh wait! There's a new Daring Do book out. I brought you a copy Dashie." Pinkie exclaimed, pulling out the Daring Do book of no where. "See, look new."

"Wow really?" Rainbow said, smiling. "Hey... I thought I told you not to call me Dashie? That's not really a cool name."

"Oh but it's so cute!" Pinkie said, squeezing Rainbow's face before she bounded off into the town. "Welp, I've got a whole town to meet. So bye!"

Both Applejack and Twilight waved goodbye to Pinkie as Rainbow rubbed her face, sighing. "Damn... where does she get that energy..." She mumbled, shaking her head.

"Pinkie is Pinkie Rainbow." Twilight smiled, as Discord came floating by.

"Oh? Did I miss Pinkie Pie?" He asked, looking around as he sat on a hammock of clouds. "And here I was going to give her my seal of approval... Oh well." He shrugged, licking a claw and tapping Rainbow's forehead. Seconds later a sticker appeared there, with a picture of Discord giving a thumbs up. "See? My seal of approval. And it even has Pinkie's name on it."

Twilight and Applejack chuckled as Rainbow shook her head vigorously to remove the sticker. "Dang it Discord, I asked you to stop!" Rainbow sighed, having finally removed the sticker. "When will you learn?"

"Has Twilight beaten you in a race yet?"

"Um.. no."

"There is your answer little pony. I'll never learn."


Later that month, Twilight found herself in her private office in the town hall. "Now, are you sure that's what Celestia said she would send?" She asked Dusk Shine, a very serious look on her face. "The second team is going to arrive tomorrow I understand, by their last report. But are you sure there will be a couple of Griffons?"

"Yes your highness." Dusk Shine replied. "And they have reported back that they will not be docking in town. They have agreed to the set location and will not proceed until you give the okay."

"Thank you Dusk Shine." Twilight smiled, dismissing the guard pony. Once he left she sighed. "And here I was hoping that the Crusaders would be my only problem... Now there is this. I'm glad that Celestia is including some Griffons, maybe that'll be what we need here." She looked out the window, sighing. "Discord, what are your thoughts?" She asked, looking at a teapot as it turned into Discord.

"Well, if it was up to me the second group would have been here weeks ago." He nodded, a soft smile on his face. "And I don't know... Griffons seem a bit extreme, or have they mellowed down while I was away?"

"That's something you'd have to ask Rainbow." Twilight responded, looking out the window again. "She knew a Griffon before. Though I don't exactly know how it works, as according to her different clans behave differently..." Twilight shrugged, as Discord nodded. "Maybe we'll get some decent ones."

"Not likely." Discord interjected. "From what I knew about them they'd try anything to finish their job. Even breaking the law wasn't out of the option."

"I see..." Twilight mumbled, when a knock on her door made both her and Discord look at it.

"Ma'am?" Came Seventh Star's voice from behind the door. "There is something that you must look at. I think it might involve... that."

"Very well." Twilight sighed, as her and Discord left her office. "Lead the way."

Once they arrived at the scene, which to Twilight's surprise was with in the town. She blinked in confusion. "What am I looking at?" She asked, as the scene before her nearly made her gag. "Discord, do you know of anything that can do this to a pony?"

"No... well yes." Discord nodded, a solum look upon his face. "But the windigoes all died out so... In modern times, and to a guard pony? No, not I."

"I see... Star?" She sighed, looking away from Dusk Shine's maimed body. "Could you please get him down? And prepare a burial at once for him. I'll have to go inform his family."

"Ma'am." Star nodded, though he didn't move. "Ma'am. there is more. In his room, there was writing. But I think it was in Old Equestrian, so I couldn't read it."

"I see..." She sighed, looking around. "Which room is his? I'll see if I can translate it."

"It's in his blood ma'am."

"Oh? Blood writing?" Discord said, almost eager. "Why I haven't seen anypony do that in ages."

"At ne quaere in morte circa angulum."[2]

It took Twilight nearly a whole hour to translate what was written in Dusk Shine's room. Though she attributed this to the fact that it was written in blood, on a wall. And we all know that blood drips. "Well, this is certainly interesting." Discord chuckled looking over Twilight's notes. "You did translate it correctly by the way."

" 'Seek not your answers, for death is around the corner.' " Star read, off the paper. "This sounds like a threat ma'am. Do you want me to inform the guard?"

Twilight shook her head, a solum look upon her face. "No." She finally said, looking at Star. "I want you to do no such thing. I know that there are Cleaner ponies here. Order them to clean this place up, I want no evidence remaining. Understand?"

"Ma'am?"

"What is it?"

"Are you sure that is wise?" Star asked, looking at Discord. "Would it not be wise to inform the guard of the threat? Or is there a piece I am missing? If there is, then as the acting head of the guard I demand to know."

"Star." Twilight sighed, patting him on the shoulder. "What I am about to tell you must not leave this room. Do you understand me?"

"Yes your highness."


Seventh Star sat at the dining table in his and Midnight's home. Though there was food on his plate, and it was lunch time, he didn't feel like eating. Not because of what he saw at Dusk Shine's home, which was just up the street, closer to the Town hall, and the noble district. What his thought's were on was what Twilight Sparkle had told him. If what she said was true, then that meant that... Star shook his head, pushing those thoughts out of his mind. He had ordered in the cleaners as Twilight had asked, and was now waiting for the council to decide who the next head guard would be. He looked over at Midnight, who was engaged in conversation with Discord. A soft smile appeared on his face, as he watched her being happy.

She after all, was why he became a guard pony in the first place. Her and their mother. When both him and Midnight were young, Midnight was still a school pony, they had received a report from the guard ponies that their father had died at the border. Their mother, was distraught after hearing this.

"Brother? Are you alright?" Midnight asked, waking Seventh from his thoughts. "You've had a strange look for awhile now, you haven't even touched your food."

"Yes. I'm fine sister." He responded, before he silently began to eat. "It's just been an interesting week."

"I'll say it has." Midnight chuckled, turning back to Discord. "Did I tell you about that one pink mare that came by? She cleaned out the store... I'm surprised she had enough bits..."

"Ah yes, that would be Pinkie Pie. I thought the snacks at her party tasted familiar." Discord chuckled. "If only I knew they were yours Miss Star."

"Pinkie Pie?" Midnight blinked, looking at Discord. "As in the Element of Laughter? That Pinkie Pie?"

"Did someone say my name?" As if on cue, Pinkie Pie appeared, out of a barrel of cheese. "I think I heard my name. Is any pony talking bad about me?" She then glared at each of the people in the room. "Oh, hiya Discord! Do you have guests at your house? Or are you a guest?"

"How did you.... How are you... huh?" Midnight blinked, trying to wrap her head around the concept that is Pinkie Pie.

"Don't bother with that one deary, you'll never understand." Discord whispered, before turning to Pinkie Pie. "Why, I'm a guest here Pinkie. Care to join us in festivities?"

"Oh boy would I!" Pinkie smiled, jumping out of the barrel, causing a few chucks of cheese to fly out. "Cheese? I thought it was a pickle barrel... It smelled like a pickle barrel..."

Both Discord and Midnight chuckled at Pinkie's side remark about pickles. "Miss Pinkie, you certainly are random." Midnight chuckled, wiping a tear from her eye with her hoof. "But I don't see why we would have a pickle barrel here. They aren't sweet. This is a confectionery Pinkie. In fact, you were here earlier to get confections for your party, remember?"

"Oh yeah!" Pinkie smiled, shaking Midnight's hoof vigorously. "You're the mare that sold me those goodies. And boy did they taste good. I ate half of them just while preparing the party."

"Wait... you did what?" Midnight asked, dumbfounded. "You ate half... how are you not sick to the stomach?"

"I live in a bakery, duh." Pinkie said matter of factly, as if that explained everything she does. "Why would I?"

"Um... no pony can eat that much, and not feel at least a little ill." Midnight blinked, shaking her head. "Your almost like Discord."

"Really? I though I was random?" Pinkie blinked, looking around. "Why does that make me like Discord? He's a meany-mean meany pants. No offense Nice Discord."

"None taken... I think." Discord chuckled, having been confused by Pinkie as well. "It's nice to no that somepony cares about my feelings."

"Oh yeah! Of course I care!" Pinkie smiled, hugging Discord. "You're a friend. And good at parties too."


Upon a boat, heading towards the colony, though not towards to colony, were three little fillies hitch-hiking a ride to the colony. "Shh!" One of them whispered. "If were caught were dead."

"D-dead?" A nother said, worried. "Are you sure? Will they really kill us?"

"Were hitch-hikers... or is it stowaways.... argh what ever, yeah I bet they will. Why do you think no one talks about them?"

"Because it's rude to hitch-hike?" The third one finally spoke up. "Besides, the worst they gunna do is keep us in a room till they get back to Equestria, they ain't killing foals. It's wrong."

"Yeah? And where did you learn that Applebloom?" [3]

"Um... well... I'm just guessing okay!" Applebloom squeaked, kicking Scootaloo softly.

"Hey! That wasn't called for." She then yelped, kicking Applebloom back.

"Quite!" Sweetie Belle whispered, as a guard pony approached their hidding spot. "I hear somepony."

"Who's there?" He asked, flashing his flashlight around. "I know your there, why don't you come out and we can have a nice talk." He blinked, waiting for any sound. When none came he shrugged, and turned to return to his post. "Must have been rats, or the wind. Man, I hope we hit port soon..."

Author's Note:

1. This is to not be confused with Sugar Cube Corner in Ponyville. While the home of Pinkie Pie is a bakery, Midnight's store/home is a Confectionery, as in anything high in sugar can be found there. From the chocolate truffles Discord likes, to toffees. And Cider of course, but she's getting that from Applejack.
2. I use latin because it seemed plausible for it to be Old Equestrian, as I'm using English and that is derived almost exclusively from latin. So, for the sake of this fan fiction, Old Equestrian is Latin.
3. Hello Twilight. I would like to introduce you to three familiar fillies. Their names are Cutie Mark Crusaders... the originals.

Okay, show of hands. Who else feels bad that Seventh Star has to deal with Pinkie Pie and Discord? I wrote it and I feel bad for him...