• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,485 Views, 434 Comments

My Little Pony: Bureaucracy is Politic - swirlstar



Mayor Mare tries to keep Ponyville running through each MLP:FiM episode.

  • ...
11
 434
 2,485

PreviousChapters Next
S2E26: A Canterlot Wedding, Part 2

Season 2 Episode 26 – A Canterlot Wedding, Part 2

Mayor Mare’s Office, Ponyville

It didn’t take long for Mayor Mare, entrusted with emergency powers, to slide down the slippery slope of absolute power.

Special Edition of the Ponyville Express: RISE UP, PONYVILLIANS! – TYRANT MARE ASSUMES DICTATORIAL POWERS

EXECUTIVE ORDER 23: CENSORSHIP AND BAN ON ALL SEDITIOUS MATERIAL PUBLISHED WITHIN PONYVILLE

Councilor Amethyst Star’s voice, loud and defiant, rang out over the radio. “This insidious ban of the Express proves, beyond all doubt, that Mayor Mare is out to rule for life- “

EXECUTIVE ORDER 34: INDEFINITE DETENTION WITHOUT TRIAL FOR ALL SUSPECTED ENEMIES OF PONYVILLE AND EQUESTRIA

In response to the jailing of Councilor Amethyst Star, the Ponyville Legislative Council today voted to impeach Mayor Mare…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 109: FORCIBLE SUSPENSION OF THE PONYVILLE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO CONTINUING INSTABILITY IN EQUESTRIA

*

Mayor Mare’s House, Ponyville

“Two. Days.” Cheerilee was again spiraling into one of her tiresome diatribes. “A hundred-plus decrees in two days! As if you haven’t done enough to destroy the very democracy you yourself created!”

Mayor Mare threw up her forelegs in exasperation. “How many times do I have tell you, Cheerie – it was for the good of Ponyville!”

“It’s always the good intentions that ruin everything!” the schoolteacher stormed. “Don’t you see? Now that you have done all this, what’s stopping Lyra from copying you once she wins the election?!”

“I’ve told you, I- “ the tan pony shuddered to a halt. She hadn’t thought of that.

The purple mare narrowed her eyes. “Oh yes. You’ll be lucky if the electorate only votes you out now. And it’s a vote you have to hold- ”

Thud.

The unexpected noise sliced through the crisp night air, followed by two similar sounds: low, dull bursts of noise, slowly beating out their tunes, mechanical precision, sounding very much… very much like…

Explosions.

Without a second thought. Mother and daughter raced to the nearest window, gazing at the sky flashing like a camera, partially illuminated by searchlights, white streaks of magic swerving upwards into the hundreds upon hundreds of tiny black dots dashing above-

“By Celestia...” Cheerilee could only mutter in awed and terrified fascination. “Celestia... the invasion… it’s coming…

There was only one place the Mayor could think of as refuge. “The Park, Cheerilee… we need to get to the Park, now!

Quick as a flash, the two ponies bolted out and up Mane Street, just as the low wail of the air-raid sirens began to ring.

*

108th Division Operational Command, Ponyville Park, Ponyville

HQ had become the very definition of busy. Ponies zooming around, barking orders, the machines blinking and chirping wildly, jumbled “Yes, sirs!” and “Right away!”s, the commander and his staff huddled around a map of the region, the occasional rumble chattering and shaking the equipment all around, not to mention the deluge of ponies that were pouring in from the outside...

“General Sword!” the gray-maned mare barged into the discussion. “What is going on!”

The black stallion turned up and acknowledge his civilian counterpart. “Major incursion into Ponyville airspace, Ma’am. We’re still trying to identify them.”

“Is this the invasion, then?”

The Major General shook his head and indicated out a mass of green dots on a nearby machine. “They’re flying over rather than diving down for an attack – odd. Perhaps they’re making a beeline towards Canterlot… ” A note slipped into his hooves. “Hm. Apparently these are Changelings.”

“Change- what?”

“Changelings. Shapeshifters. Saw a couple of them while I was at the border… ah.” the black stallion was abruptly enlightened. “So that’s why they didn’t attack.”

“What?”

“Changelings feed on love, you see. And this town doesn’t exactly possess much love at the moment.” Steel Sword remarked as he summoned his adjutant. “Anyway. Wire this to Canterlot, ASAP.”

“Atmospherics are looking pretty bad, Sir.”

“Pegasus, then.”

“Yes, Sir.” The adjutant glanced backwards at the screen. “Seems like the last few signals have now disappeared off of the radar, Sir. Skies are clear.”

“See? I told you they weren't planning on attacking us. Cease firing once they move out of range.” The Major General turned back to the civilian duo. “Now, fillies. Care to accompany me outside and have a look at our handiwork?”

*

Municipal boundaries of Ponyville, West Phalia

Major General Steel Sword grew increasingly unamused as he surveyed the pristine landscape, criss-crossed with streaks of light as soldiers combed the landscape for Changelings. His handiwork was proving extremely hard to locate.

“Nothing?” the black stallion finally burst out in indignation. “Nothing?! Even with all that artillery fire?”

“W-well… yes,” the poor soldier in front of him stammered, suddenly gaining an appreciation of his own worthlessness. “We were just preparing for artillery practice when the order came, Sir. I guess most of us forgot to change out of blanks...”

“Urgh!” Steel Sword knocked his head despondently. “This is the worst posting ever. You mean I’m going to have to report to Central that we did nothing to prevent the Changelings from attacking Canterlot?”

“Well last time I went to Canterlot, they had a pretty big shield surrounding the whole city,” Cheerilee began. “So I think they’ll be fine- ”

“Great,” the Major General retorted. “I’ll be sure to include that fact in my report. In any case, this means that not only am I going to not get my promotion, I’m going to get demoted because of this total debacle. What great times for us all.”

“Well, Sir,” the soldier replied tentatively. “Perhaps there’ll be a secondary attack on Ponyville… ”

“There won’t be a secondary attack on Ponyville,” Steel Sword snapped. “Why would there be? There’s nothing here for- “

He felt a sudden tapping on his shoulder. “General.”

Mayor Mare was smiling, her eyes glinting with the sort of deviousness that one would more likely associate with her political opponent.

“What is it, Ma’am.”

“Why can’t there be a secondary attack?” the mare asked innocently.

Steel Sword sighed irritably. “I told you. Changelings feed on love. There’s no love in- “

“No no no, I understand that,” the tan pony waved her hoof condescendingly. “But supposing that we invent a secondary attack… ”

What?!” Cheerilee yelled. “You want the Changelings to attack Ponyville?”

“No, no, Cheerie; I said invent, not entice.” Mayor Mare elaborated.

It took a few seconds for the implications to register with the schoolteacher. “But… but that’s irresponsible!” the purple pony erupted again. “I… this is ridiculous! No, Mom; no!

Mayor Mare continued grinning. “Cheerilee, you know Lyra will take her revenge out on you as well.”

“I can’t believe you’re- “ the cherry pony stopped mid-sentence, before groaning in unspeakable frustration. “Argh... fine!”

“And of course,” Mayor Mare turned towards the soldier. “If all goes well, everypony’s getting a promotion out of this, right?”

“Ma’am.” A knowing salute.

The gray-maned pony turned back to Steel Sword, extending her forearm. “So what do you say, Major General?”

A grateful commander quickly grasped the limb and shook it for dear life. “You would have made a wonderful soldier in the military, Mayor Mare.”

*

Ponyville Radio Station, Ponyville

Now was the time to take, ahem, “credit”.

“Citizens of Ponyville! I, Mayor Mare, am pleased to report that in the early hours of the night, the 108th Division has repelled a major attack by the dastardly Changelings on our great city of Ponyville! This sly and terrible enemy tried to come at us in the dead of night, but the brave soldiers of the 108th fought back with the utmost vigor and strength and sent those evil creatures running back to the Equestrian borders- “

A radio staff member crept in and hoofed the politician a note. “Mayor, Mayor; you have to announce this on air, now.”

A quick scan of the hastily scrawled note only brightened Mayor Mare’s complexion further. Could her luck get any better?

Solemn voice, Mayor; don't sound too excited! “Ahem. I have been asked to report some terrible news, citizens of Ponyville. We have just received word that the Changelings have breached Canterlot’s shield wall and are now attacking its inhabitants… oh, by Celestia… all those ponies at the wedding!”

A momentary silence for poignancy.

“We now know how dangerous the Changelings are to our way of life, Ponyvillians,” Mayor Mare announced somberly. “No city could defend itself for long against such a terrible foe. I thank Celestia for the good fortune that we had in having the 108th Division here to protect us from this dastardly enemy… remain strong, ponies, especially in these troubled times; be ever vigilant, and spare a thought for the fellow ponies who are in terrible trouble at this very moment. We will do our utmost once we get a clearer situation of what is happening there.”

The recording light blinked out. Mayor Mare looked up from her script. “Well. How did I do?”

“G-great job, M-ma’am… ” the radio producer sniffled, as if trying to hold back grateful tears. “Oh, I’m so sorry, Mayor! I can’t believe how close we were to such a terrible fate – and to think that I spent all that time protesting against you, trying to prevent you from doing anything… oh, I’m sorry; I’m so, so sorry!...”

*

Ponyville Station, Ponyville

The Friendship Express slowed into town, much humbled by the events of the Canterlot Wedding. Ponies slunk out of the carriages, much humbled and chastised by their humiliation under the Changelings. The big banner on Ponyville Station reading “PONYVILLE: NEVER SURRENDER” didn’t help.

“Councilor Sparkle!” Security Chief Delta Force strode up to the unicorn and shook the hoof of the savior of Equestria (again). “An honor, Councilor Sparkle.”

The bookish mare merely blushed and giggled at the compliment. “Thank you, Captain Force.”

“So your letter mentioned a tip-off for the Ponyville Police?”

Twilight scanned the crowd flowing towards the exit. “There they are!” she pointed to a group of ponies in the crowd. “Arrest them before it's too late!”

The red stallion saluted. “Yes, Councilor!”

Quick as a flash, Delta Force barged his way past the masses of ponykind, sneaking up unnoticed behind the three ponies – no mean feat, considering his bulk – and in one deft clink, fastened a set of hoofcuffs onto the lime-green unicorn.

Councilor Lyra Heartstrings looked back, her face a mixture of daze and shock. “W-wha- ?” she murmured, glancing confusedly up at her captor. “Mr. Force... w-what’s happening?

The Security Chief quickly turned on her two companions as well. “Councilor Lyra Heartstrings, Colgate and Twinkleshine: you are all now under arrest for suspected collaboration with the enemy; please will you all now proceed to the police station. Here are your rights- “

“Lyra!” Bon Bon’s horrorstruck shriek interrupted the scene. “Lyra, what… you can’t do this!” the beige pony bayed angrily at the Security Chief. “Ms. Heartstrings was brainwashed during the attack! Look at her face! She didn’t help the Changelings willingly!”

The red stallion merely shrugged. “I am only obeying orders, Ms. Bon.”

“But nopony else saw her... it was Twilight, wasn’t it?!” Bon Bon spat out. “The Mayor’s losing in the polls, and so she's going to have Lyra thrown into prison, isn’t she? Isn’t she?!

Delta Force shrugged. “That's very catty of you towards a savior of Equestria. And anyway, the motive doesn’t fit. The newest poll shows Mayor Mare’s approval rating at 90%.”

90%! But that’s- “ the confectioner had the wind knocked out of her in an instant.

“It’s true, Ms. Bon. Now please, do let me escort these suspects back to the Police Station before I charge you with obstruction of justice.”

*

In front of Town Hall, Ponyville

The night before this rollercoaster of an election, and everypony was in jovial spirits.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” Councilor Twilight Sparkle announced. “I have the tremendous honor of introducing the savior of Ponyville – Mayor Mare!

The crowd went wild, flags waving, cameras flashing, confetti and balloons abounding, the rolling thunder of hoofstomps and adulation: “Ma-yor Mare! Ma-yor Mare! Ma-yor Mare!”

The tan pony stepped up to the podium, the roar of the crowds seemingly lifting her up to the clouds – the whole town of Ponyville, once her tormentors, now so grateful, so happy for her, cheering her on…

Who cared that this whole scene was the result of an innocent lie? Was it not enough that everypony was now back to their happy old selves – content and united as one, the bickering and hatred of the past long since gone?

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” the Mayor began, a cheer quickly subsuming the final parts of her sentence. “Firstly, I would also like to introduce the general who played the crucial part in saving all of our skins – Lieutenant General Steel Sword!

The crowd exploded in boisterous cheering and applause as the curtains opened to reveal the uniformed black stallion. He was clearly taken aback by the enthusiastic agreement that the masses were giving him, only managing to salute the crowd with the utmost difficulty.

Back to the main message. “Secondly, Ponyvillians; remember that we do have an election and also a referendum tomorrow, so please do go over to your local polling station and vote! This is especially important, given that I have introduced a referendum on whether or not to abolish the Ponyville Legislative Council, which has caused us all such grief over the last few- “

She need not have said anymore. The crowd roared out their clear wishes: “No Leg-Co! No Leg-Co! No Leg-Co!”

Mayor Mare’s grin grew even wider. “I think we are all on agreement on that, it seems. And thirdly- “

“Mayor Mare!”

Everypony suddenly went silent upon the thunderous command, emerging from backstage. It sounded vaguely familiar.

“Princess Celestia!” Soon-to-be-ex-Councilor Twilight Sparkle gasped.

Mayor Mare quickly prostrated herself. “Her Highness!”

The Ruler of Equestria chuckled as she stood before the tan pony. “Felicitations, Mayor Mare, and a job well done!” she exclaimed, her sonority requiring no microphone to project itself. “Where all the cities have failed; Ponyville alone has succeeded: truly the hallmark of a magnificent leader and a magnificent town!”

The crowd screamed out over and over again in sheer ecstasy. “Po-ny-ville! Po-ny-ville! Po-ny-ville!”

The bespectacled mare did the ceremonial rounds, prostrating herself even lower on the ground. “But without you, Your Highness; how could we ever possibly- “

“Do not demean yourself, Mayor Mare! This victory is your victory, and this reward- “ she gestured to the crowd before her. “ –is your reward! Arise, Mayor Mare, and receive the adulation of ponykind!”

Her Highness leant in and extended her foreleg as the crowd cheered and cheered until their throats were hoarse. The bespectacled mare, head so far in the clouds with the sheer joy of being elected, quickly grasped onto the limb and lifted herself up.

The Princess Celestia took the chance to whisper some choice words into the Mayor’s ear:

“I hope you now realize that this experiment of yours will not work in Equestria, Mayor.”

Author's Note:

[Particular Inspiration: 1) Rule by executive decree is usually a sign that democratic principles have failed in a country: for example, in Russia during the mid-to-late Yeltsin years. 2) In Imperial China it was not uncommon for generals to falsely report losses as 'victories' in order to escape punishment (as embarrassingly detailed by Lovell in her book 'The Opium War'). 3) The art of overstating your achievements and taking excessive credit is something that all politicians need to learn. 4) The referendum is a valid method of passing laws in France, allowing the President to override the objections of the parliament by evoking the will of the people. 5) Most famously, the Roman Republic ended under the rule of victorious leaders - Caesar, Antony, and finally Octavian. 6) Harmony and Democracy were generally considered by ancient philosophers to be mutually exclusive - most notably argued by Plato in 'The Republic'. 7) Practices started in one government generally carry over to new governments - such as NSA spying and drone strikes.]

(Thanks to JetstreamGW for commenting on Celestia's last line - what is she objecting to?)
(Thanks also to SpaceCommie for Particular Inspiration 7!)

PreviousChapters Next