• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,484 Views, 434 Comments

My Little Pony: Bureaucracy is Politic - swirlstar



Mayor Mare tries to keep Ponyville running through each MLP:FiM episode.

  • ...
11
 434
 2,484

PreviousChapters Next
S2E5: Sisterhooves Social

Season 2 Episode 5 – Sisterhooves Social

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville

“Hoo-ee!” Applejack dragged her aching body up the dirt track to the Acres. It had been a long and hard day: dismantling the various Sisterhooves-related structures was no mean feat. But still, it was all worth it: especially this time, what with Rarity and her-

“Hey, Miss.”

The orange pony spun around, surprised to have a visitor at this time of day. “Oh, howdy there,” she greeted the rather hip stallion in front of her. “Need help?”

“Are you Ms. Applejack?” The newcomer was polite enough.

“Yes sir. Anything I can do?”

The youngster – which must have been about her age – fidgeted uneasily. “I was wondering when you were going to hold the Brotherhooves Social- ”

“Whoa there, Nelly!” Applejack interrupted, slightly perplexed. “A Brotherhooves Social? What the hay are you talking about?”

A polite cough. “Well, since you held a Sisterhooves Social, it’s only right that you hold a Brotherhooves Social as well.”

The country pony’s smile faded a little. “I appreciate the idea, but we ain’t got the coin to do that.”

The stallion’s eyes narrowed. “Ms. Applejack,” he pressed his case. “Your actions are contributing to the continued suppression of stallions in Equestria. This is clearly unjust.”

“Ain’t nopony gonna oppose a Brotherhooves Social,” Applejack insisted, giving the stallion plenty of time to extricate himself. “But somepony else is gon’ do it. We got work on this here farm.”

“So you’re not going to do it.” the stallion replied, a twinge of threat slowly bubbling to the surface.

“No.” With a thrust of her forelegs, Applejack shunted the stallion to one side. "Catch you later."

*

Ponyville Park, Ponyville

Bathed in the rays of Luna’s Moon, a few stallions made their way across the silent expanse, casting furtive looks around them.

“No guards?”

“Can’t see any. This town’s pretty cool about security.”

“All the better for us. Colt Power.”

“Colt Power indeed,” the lead whispered as he observed the lay of the land. “Alright team, we’re at a crossroads. Plan A, or Plan B?”

Another stallion eyeballed the distant weathervane of Sweet Apple Acres. “Plan A was further than we thought. Not going to get much impact there.”

“Understood. Plan B?”

The stallion tiptoed up to the apex of the bridge and scrutinized the buildings in front of him. “Where did you want Plan B to take place again?”

“’Market Square’, as labelled on this map.”

The observer gazed some more. “Well, I can see us gaining traction on Plan B. I greenlight Plan B.”

“Alright.” The lead whipped out his radio. “We’re going Plan B; repeat, going Plan B. Meet you all at the Ponyville Market Square.”

*

Market Square, Ponyville

“Colts say no! Colts say no!”

Ponyville awoke to a busy Market Square, but for a vastly different reason than normal. A group of around fifty colts had occupied the cobblestoned plaza and were sitting defiantly in it, barring any access to the market stalls erected within.

Surrounding the unannounced and unexpected sit-in was a growing group of sullen Ponyville citizens. With Market Square taken over by the protestors, normal economic activity had ground to a halt. Few vendors appreciated this unplanned holiday. The building frustration in the air was palpable.

Mayor Mare and Twilight Sparkle barged through the layers of ponies to the edge of the protest zone. “Came as fast as we could,” the bespectacled earth pony greeted the already-present Crimson Ribbon. “What’s the matter?”

“Ma’am,” Crimson Ribbon handed the tan pony her daily agenda, as Twilight Sparkle wandered off to interview the defiant protestors.

The Agenda:

1. Dealing with the Market Square sit-in. [ ]

2. LONG TERM - Secure political control of the Legislative Council. [ ]

“Allow me to elaborate,” the gray stallion informed. “The protestors here call themselves the ‘Suffracolts’. They proclaim to be concerned about the gender discrimination in Ponyville; and as such, they are demanding that the Apples hold a ‘Brotherhooves Social’, equal in size and stature to its female equivalent.”

“Oh?” the Mayor raised an eyebrow. “But mares outnumber stallions here by some amount… ”

The Secretary of State shrugged. “You try explaining it to them, Ma’am.”

The tan pony decided to ignore her subordinate’s challenge. “Well, in any case,” she thought aloud, “I’m sure we have enough to fund a Brotherhooves- ”

“Ahem,” Crimson Ribbon clarified. “They want the Apples to hold and fund the Brotherhooves Social.”

Now Mayor Mare became suspicious. “That’s an awfully specific demand.”

“Indeed, Mayor. One wonders what the real object of these protestors are,” the gray stallion mused.

“Hey, hey, Mayor Mare! We want races, over there!”

“Have you asked Ms. Applejack about what happened?” Mayor Mare surveyed the scene, praying and hoping for some exploitable chink in the political dilemma she was faced with. “What she did to merit this revenge?”

“Well… “ The bureaucrat hadn’t felt the need to-

“Ma’am! Mayor!” Applejack jumped out of the congregation and skidded to a breathless halt in front of the Mayor. “You’ve got to help us, Mayor; you’ve got to!”

“Ms. Applejack- “ the Mayor, somewhat concerned, began.

“It’s those Suffracolts, I tell you!” the farm pony pointed an accusing hoof at the protesting crowd. “They want to bankrupt us Apples for not cavin’ in to their demands!”

“Now now, Ms. Applejack,” the bespectacled mare cautioned. “That’s exaggeration- ”

“Well,” Twilight butted into the conversation, having just returned. “I’m quite sure the stallions aren’t from Ponyville. Most of them didn’t even seem to know where Sweet Apple Acres was, for Celestia’s sake!”

“You see?” the orange mare pleaded. “Come on, Mayor; I did so much for you last election…!”

“You did?” the lavender pony asked incredulously. Applejack had forgotten that her magical friend wasn’t privy to such state secrets.

“Never you mind,” the country pony responded hastily, sensing a stern lecture of sorts heading her way. “Anyway, Mayor, you’ve got to help us! We didn’t budget for another Social!”

Mayor Mare, being chronically short of allies, was not in any mood to throw a loyal partner under the carriage. “Don’t you worry, Ms. Applejack,” she reassured, patting the country pony on the back. “We’ll get you out of this mess. I promise.”

“I’m sure LegCo will co-operate,” the purple pony chipped in.

*

The Legislative Council Antechamber, Ponyville

“Councilor! Mr. Buster!” Twilight Sparkle galloped towards the silver-maned stallion. “Please, can I just have a word with you?”

The white stallion, to his credit, at least put up the pretense of being polite. “Ah – Councilor Sparkle. So what does Mayor Mare’s little star want from the Equestrian Party?”

The magical pony brushed the condescension aside. “Councilor, I just want to talk to you about the Brotherhooves Social issue- ”

“Ah.” Not that the white stallion had expected anything else. “I see. Of course, Ms. Applejack’s a hero of Equestria; so really, Her Highness is where you should be appealing to… ”

“Please, Councilor,” Ms. Sparkle put on her saddest pout. “You know the Princess can’t intervene- ”

“So you want us mortals to be the fall ponies instead,” Filly Buster finished the unicorn’s sentence.

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Oh, no no no!” she quickly asserted. “This is good for you, Councilor!”

Filly Buster rolled his eyes. He didn’t much fancy being accused of disrespect to Ponyville’s savior. “Convince me, Ms. Sparkle.”

“Well, Councilor,” the lavender unicorn cleared her throat. “If you help Sweet Apple Acres in this, you can bet that Applejack will go to Cloudsdale and back just to repay the favor!”

“Mm-hmm,” Filly Buster murmured, awaiting further reasons.

Beads of sweat were forming on Twilight’s brow as she sped up her persuasion. “Also, if you support Mayor Mare, that would clearly show that you have Ponyville’s best interests at heart, because- “

“Councilor Sparkle,” the white stallion replied smoothly, “I already clearly have Ponyville’s best interests at heart.”

“Oh, u-uh, of c-course you do!” the magical pony gave in to a few nervous twitches. “B-but anyway, supporting Mayor Mare will still help you because it will show that you are a strong leader, who can stand steadfast against unreasonable pressure groups!”

Filly Buster sighed. Lyra was right: Twilight Sparkle was still very much an amateur at this business. “Councilor Sparkle?”

“Yes, Mr. Buster?” The magical pony leant forward eagerly, hoping against hope that-

“Firstly, call me Councilor Buster,” the stallion began, keen to establish his prestige vis-à-vis this political newcomer. “Secondly, you do realize why we want – nay, need – to satisfy the Suffracolts’ demands, right?”

The disappointed mare drew back. “W-why?”

“You see, of course I know that giving into the Suffracolts’ demands will only invite future hostage attempts. I even know that the Suffracolts aren’t Ponyvillians,” he added.

Mayor Mare’s protégé grabbed at this straw for what it was worth. “Yes, yes that’s true, Councilor! They don’t know how- ”

The silver-maned stallion held up a hoof. “I know that, Ms. Sparkle. But I don’t care. All that matters now is this: there is a whole crowd of angry market ponies that can’t sell or buy anything in Market Square. Those ponies are who we’re going to have to face come re-election. I know it’s unfair… but if I need to sacrifice the Apples to make them happy: well, I’d do that trade.”

Twilight almost couldn’t believe her ears. “B-but- ”

“No buts, Ms. Sparkle,” Filly Buster swept past the dejected pony and into the LegCo Chamber.

*

The Cabinet Room, Ponyville

Twilight Sparkle silently parted the double doors and slunk into the room, her head lowered, her tail drooping between her hind legs.

Mayor Mare and Security Chief Delta Force looked up at the incomer. “Ah, Ms. Sparkle!” the bespectacled mare waved at her cheerfully. “Why the- ”

“I failed. Again,” the bookish mare muttered mirthlessly. “LegCo’s going to force Applejack to- ”

“No worries, no worries!” No sadness could overcome the tan pony at this point. “We have a solution; one that could save the Apples!”

The magical pony’s ears pricked up at the news. “Really?”

“Yes, yes; come over, come over!” the gray-maned pony gestured. “Captain Force, why don’t you give a brief run-down of your plan.”

“Gladly, Ma’am.” The red stallion paused for a while. “Councilor Sparkle might object to such a shady method- ”

“Oh, no no, that’s fine,” a rejuvenated unicorn marched determinedly up to the large table, remembering full well Filly Buster’s wisdom. “Just lay it on me.”

Her eyes turned towards the detailed map of Ponyville Market Square.

*

Market Square, Ponyville

The pangs of guilt had seeped away from Night Watch during the wee morning hours. Now they had lessened to the point that he could rationalize his actions with some conviction.

The Ponyville Government can’t be held hostage by any pressure group. We can’t bend over to satisfy every protest group.

These protestors knew what they were getting into when they came here. No amount of violence – reasonable violence – is unjustified.

Think of all the vendors: their families, their kids, their parents – all of them thrown out of work because of these stallions.

Just as well that these protestors were not Ponyvillians. The muscular pony doubted that he could look any of them in the eye after today.

“Right, colts!” the protest organizer announced. “Last night, we got a couple of new additions to our little sit-in here! We won’t ask them to reveal names, obviously – but let’s teach them how to do the chant! Colt Power!”

“Colt Power!” the rest of the group chanted happily.

“So what’s our chant today, lads?”

A hoof raised up in the air. “I’ve got one! How about this: ‘Colt Power is the way to go; Come sit down and join the flow!’…”

Several more suggestions popped up, some actually being rather poetic. It didn’t matter. Night Watch’s mind wasn’t in it. All he could concentrate on were the row of policemen several yards away. They had been beat cops the first few days; now he could see Celestia’s Sun glinting off their riot shields.

He chuckled to himself. Of course they would come heavily armed today.

“…all we want is equal treatment between fillies and colts! Is that right, Suffracolts!”

“Yes! Yes! Yes!”

The mesmerizing chanting continued as Night Watch shook his head and focused back on the task at hand.

The Ponyville Government can’t be held hostage.
.

These protestors knew what they were getting into.

Think of all the ponies.

Beep. A slight vibration from the pager on Night Watch’s foreleg. H-Hour was at hoof.

Night Watch remembered his instructions. “Remember your task, Sergeant Watch,” Delta Force said grimly. “Give us the reason to clear out Market Square.”

The instigator took a deep breath, picked up a nearby soda can, and hurled it at the policeponies.

Author's Note:

[Particular Inspiration: 1) Sit-in strikes conducted by radical organizations. The Suffracolts are a mixture of PETA, Greenpeace, and the Suffragettes. 2) Last-minute lobbying of councilors - in Hong Kong, junior government officials will actually wait outside washrooms to 'catch' them before crucial votes. 3) The widely alleged use of 'instigators' to provoke riot police into action.]

(Thanks to Talon and Thorn for correcting a really embarrassing Freudian typo.)

PreviousChapters Next