• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Combat in the Round

Chapter 24 – Combat in the Round

Twilight found herself in a dim, circular room. Ponies stood all around, staring at her. Octavia and Vinyl, Lyra and Bon Bon, the flower trio, and even the Cake twins all watched her silently.

Right in front of her loomed a huge wooden desk. A big, high-backed chair was behind it, turned away from her so she couldn't see who sat in it. She didn't need to, though. She knew who would be there: the Kingpin.

Blinking to help her eyes adjust, Twilight stood up straight. “Hello, Pinkie.”

The chair swiveled around, revealing Pinkie Pie, sans investigator's hat and with the most deliciously shocked look on her face. “What! How did you know?” She threw her hooves in the air. “You ruined my big reveal!”

Twilight smirked. “It really was pretty obvious all along, in retrospect. Why else would you interfere so much? Who else would choose the Cake twins as leaders?”

Pinkie's hooves fell to the desk, and she glared daggers, spears, needles, and all sorts of pointy, unpleasant objects at Twilight.

“Oh, and the 'investigator's assistant' cap sitting on the table sort of gives it away.” Twilight giggled.

Pinkie's mouth dropped open. Her eyes shot over to the offending hat, but her head didn't move. In one smooth motion, she swiped it into a drawer and spun back around. “Okay, start over!”

“I still know it's you, Pinkie.”

What?” Pinkie spun back around to face Twilight. “How did you know this time?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Because I still remember from last time?”

“Augh!” Pinkie slammed her face down on the desk. “This is never going to work!” She shook her head. “Whatever. Let's just get on to the next part.”

“Yes, let's do that.” Twilight grinned and called up her magic. Now that she knew everything she needed, she could leave and take it to the authorities. With a flash, she teleported away.

With another flash, she reappeared in the same spot again.

Pinkie cackled ominously. “No no no no no. The next part isn't where you teleport away. This tower is deadlock sealed. The next part is where you join my little organization... or else.”

“Pinkie, there's no possible way I'll ever–”

“You'll take your orders directly from my lieutenants, Pound Cake, and Pumpkin Cake.” Pinkie grinned wide. “We'll be ready for the big time now that we have a princess!”

The other ponies in the tower cheered.

“I'll still never... wait.” Twilight sat back down. If she was the only princess they had, then what was–

A trap door in the floor behind her burst open, sending pieces of wood flying everywhere. Applejack shot up out of the hole, already pulling an apple back in her sling. She let fly.

The fruit streaked across the room faster than sight, catching Daisy in the face. She flew back from the impact, taking the other two flower ponies with her.

Octavia and Vinyl leapt over Twilight, taking a running dive toward the intruder. Each of them kicked back and spun in the air as two more apples found their marks.

Applejack dove to the side, dodging Bon Bon's hoof. She shot another apple as she rolled away, taking down another assailant.

The Cake twins rushed for Twilight, grabbing onto her before she could react.

Applejack stretched her slingshot backward, pointing the apple behind her in the brief moment of silence.

Twilight wondered what her rescuer was doing... until Lyra teleported into place behind Applejack.

Without even looking, Applejack released. The apple flung behind her, and Lyra went down.

“Stop!” Pinkie shouted. She pointed to Twilight. “Put down the slingshot, or my lieutenants are gonna take it out on Twilight!”

Before Applejack could react, Twilight held both twins up in her telekinesis. “These lieutenants? Don't make me laugh.”

The twins giggled, enjoying their ride.

“Aw.” Pinkie sagged down onto the desk. “But I love making ponies laugh!”

Twilight marched up to the desk, still holding up the twins. “The tables have turned, Pinkie. It's time for you to give up and disband this mafia.”

Pinkie looked down at the desk. “Turned? It hasn't moved at all.”

With an extra burst of magic, Twilight spun the desk around. “There. Table turned.”

Pinkie hung her head low. “Aw... okay.” She looked up at her minions, who were just beginning to recover from Applejack's onslaught. “Sorry, guys, but due to new management priorities, we're going to have to make some layoffs and personnel changes around here. Don't worry – your pension plans will remain in effect.”

“Good.” Twilight lowered the two foals to the ground.

“So, Twilight–” Pinkie hopped up over the desk “–what game should we play next?”

“Pinkie, I've had just about enough of your–”

The wall of the tower exploded in dark blue light, and Princess Luna flew in, flanked by two of her bat pony guards. “Aha! The justice has been doubled!” She glanced around the room, then paused and took a longer look.

“Sorry, Princess Luna,” Twilight said, “we've already handled this one.”

Luna fell down to the floor and crossed her hooves in front of her chest. “Fie upon it! I had been investigating this for weeks!” Her expression grew pained. “Why does Twilight Sparkle always get to be the one who saves the day?”

“So...” Pinkie glanced around. “How about a 'time for Luna to get a chance' party?”

Vinyl Scratch groaned and picked herself up off the floor. “I'll bring the wubs!”

The End

Comments ( 32 )
Comment posted by RaylanKrios deleted Aug 28th, 2014

Thank you for contributing to the group! Love the story so far! :pinkiesmile:

But... But... My Spike theory was so sound... :fluttercry: :applecry: Why does the universe hate me so? I've failed myself as a mystery fan.
So, what? Nobody gets the reward?
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry in a corner.:applecry:

5004233
Nope, actually someone guessed Pinkie on a lark way back around chapter 4 or so. :pinkiecrazy:
Which reminds me... I need to go through it and find that person!

4936700

I'm going to guess Pinkie Pie is the Kingpin, as I'm absolutely horrible at figuring out Whodunit mysteries and my only chance is to guess at (mostly) random before anyone else does.

Well, you're very lucky, then.
Because you actually guessed correctly!

5006793
:rainbowkiss:
*considers changing it to flowerpower*

Well, guess I was wrong. Good story anyway! Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and the 'trap door' in Filfthy's house kinda threw me off. Which made it THAT much better!

I called it! Of course someone else called it earlier, but it still counts, right?

Right? :pinkiehappy:

5010237
Counts for calling it. :twilightsmile:

Wait, this ended? I was wondering why you weren't updating it the past few days, and then I stumbled upon 'Complete'.

Huh. In hindsight, I should have seen the twist coming. When Pinkie got kidnapped, I was rather skeptic. Pinkie? Kidnapped? And the points that Twilight put across. Pinkie really wanted to be on the team, but then again, she's Pinkie. She does that. Which only makes that twist better.

Though I don't get some things. Like, what was with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy? And the trap door in the Filthy house? I'd gather that's just a trap door for storage or something, but it had quite a bit of build-up to it.

Eh, perhaps I missed something. Still though, an enjoyable journey.

5015243
Not bad, then. :rainbowkiss:
I was trying to see if I could really pull off a mystery story with a twist ending, yet have it foreshadowed enough.

Looks like I did. :pinkiehappy:
Of course, Pinkie makes it easy. Any foreshadowing and clues from her can be dismissed as mere randomness.

And... yeah, that trap door is a bit of a legitimate loose end. :facehoof:
Maybe I should have come back to that at some point.

Was totally waiting for the plot twist that it actually wasn't Pinkie and in fact...was actually Pinkie.

Or even worse...Pinkie.

None the less, a very fun and enjoyable mystery that can only happen in Ponyville.

Ok, good story, kinda confused but oh well

5325439
Shining Armor, obviously.
At this point, though, he's only an honorary member of the firm.

5325570
Thanks ^.^
I'll admit it; this one was an experiment in making the plot as convoluted as I could.

5383699
5383712

How about you look shit up instead of badgering people who don't care?

5383757
It's a lovely name.

Woah that was confusing I originally thought it was pinkie but then I thought it was rarity then luna then filthy then rarity and it turned out to be pinkie all along :facehoof:

5523876
It's a reference that she used to do this kind of thing with her brother.

5523962
Heh, then I did my job pretty well. ^.^

Well, after reading your quiz in the description, i guessed Pinkie from the title, it was silly of course, but then things went random and Pinkie was one sane suspect all along.
It was good but you missed Obligatory Explanation For Dummies, so i have no idea, so no thumb up.

6426619

but you missed Obligatory Explanation For Dummies

So much for having faith in the readers... :rainbowwild:

6645867
Nice to see someone ... enjoying this old thing.

The chapters were too short, but it was worth reading a hilarious story! :pinkiecrazy:

7392798
Heh, yeah. But the chapters were short because when I first posted it, I made a game of readers trying to guess who was behind it all.

My biggest question in all of this is not how Pinkie managed to set the whole thing up, but rather why she did it.
Then again, considering it's Pinkie, the answer is likely as simple as "She was bored".

8032666
It all began with an accident and she just rolled with it.

8032859 ...Yeah, that works too.
In that case, my second biggest question, and I don't think it was answered in-story, was how she convinced RD to participate in it.

8032869
lol, I dunno ... Got her to Pinkie Promise to help her with 'just one little thing'?

8032910 Yeah, that sounds like her.

Login or register to comment