• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Regroup

Chapter 6 – Regroup

With a bright violet flash, Twilight reentered existence just above the floor of her library.

Unfortunately, she had been traveling downward at high speed when she teleported. That speed didn't go away.

She smashed face-first into the unforgiving wooden floor of her Library's main room. She groaned and rolled onto her side.

“Hi, Twilight!” Pinkie's smiling face filled her vision. “Are we still playing detective?”

Twilight groaned again and rolled onto her other side, away from the pink nuisance.

“Ooh, or maybe a different game now?” Pinkie jabbered on from behind her. “Maybe Pai Sho? Or midget tossing? Ooh! Ooh! Maybe we could play ultimate frisbee?”

“Ugh.” Twilight ground a hoof into her aching face. “Did Fluttershy ever teach you how to play 'Ssh'?”

“Yeah, but I'm not very good at it.”

Reluctantly, Twilight rose to her hooves. “Well, I'm still not done with my investigation. I need to get to the bottom of this, and that means finding out who's in charge.”

“Oh! Can I guess.”

Twilight sighed. “Sure, why not?”

“Colgate-Zecora-Lemon-Hearts-Trixie-Ruby-Shine-Apple-Fritter-Cherry-Jubilee-Nyx-Fancy-Pants-Derpy-Silver-Spoon-Twilight-Sparkle-Colgate-Berry-Punch-Celestia-Lyra-Gilda-Button-Mash-Big-Macintosh-Angel-Bunny-Charlie-Sheen-Luna-Clover-the-Clever-Nurse-Redheart-Tara-Strong-Vinyl-Scratch-Octavi–”

Pinkie!”

Pinkie paused. “That's a silly guess!”

Twilight nearly screamed. Nearly. Instead, she just tucked Pinkie's nonsense into the corner of her mind she'd long ago dedicated to that purpose. She stared at Pinkie, sighing. “You said Colgate twice.”

“I like Colgate!”

Twilight's deadpan stare didn't falter.

“What? Have you ever smelled that white streak in her mane? It's so minty-fresh!”

“Pinkie, this is serious business... and her name is Minuette, anyway!” Twilight stomped her hoof down. “We need to figure out who's behind this, so we need serious theories, one at a time!”

“Oh.” Pinkie sat down. “Discord?”

Twilight pondered it for a moment. “No, no. This organization, it's too sensible and orderly to be his handiwork.”

“Ashleigh Ball?”

“Huh?” Twilight again prepared herself for a barrage of Pinkie's anti-logic. “Who's that?”

“She's Rainbow Dash and Applejack.” Pinkie smiled.

“What? Both?” How can–?” With a wave of her hoof and a well-practiced deep breath, Twilight shoved aside her objection. “No.”

“Mayor Mare?”

The instant rejection Twilight had been preemptively forming died on her lips. “Well... actually, she is a pretty good suspect.”

“I've seen her hanging out a lot with Bon Bon and Lyra,” Pinkie chipped in.

“Really?” Twilight tapped her hoof to her chin. “I haven't seen that, but if it's true, we'd better investigate it.”

“Yay! Let's go!”

“Not so fast.” Twilight yanked Pinkie back with magic. “We're too exposed already. We need a double agent, and I know just who to use.”

“Ooh! I knew it! You do secretly have a changeling locked in your basement!”

No!” Twilight rolled her eyes. She'd sent that changeling back tho his hive months ago. “We need someone with elegance... poise... tact.”

Pinkie's eyes lit up. “Oh.”