• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Close Threat

Chapter 5 – Close Threat

“Ooh ooh! What about her?” Pinkie pointed a hoof.

Twilight peeked over the top of the bushes. She groaned. “That's the Mayor. If she was a part of this ring, she'd be high up in it, not doing routine things like picking up payments.”

As the Mayor stepped in through the door, Lyra and Bon Bon stepped out. Lyra wore black saddlebags just like the ones Rainbow had.

Safely concealed behind the bushes, Twilight's eyes widened.

“Oh my Goddess,” Pinkie yelled, “It's them!”

Twilight winced and covered her ears. It was too late and too little, though, to prevent risk of hearing loss due to Pinkie's voice. “Pinkie! Hush, they'll hear you!”

“I sure hope not.” Pinkie giggled. “Did you know they won the Mixed Pony Combat doubles trophy seven times already?”

What?” Twilight shrieked. She glanced back up at the pair. It didn't look good. Both of them stood still, staring directly at Twilight's bush. She suddenly felt very exposed. Her eyes narrowed, and she turned her head toward Pinkie while still keeping her eyes on the two ponies across the street. “It doesn't matter. We've seen our fair share of action, too, and it's a fair two-on-two. We can take 'em.”

“Are you serious?” Pinkie backed away a little, rustling the bushes even more. “I didn't sign up for this, so it's one on two!” In a pink blur, she shot away.

Pinkie!” Twilight groaned and looked back across the street.

Bon Bon and Lyra were slowly closing in on her. She gulped, glancing to either side. Pinkie was already nowhere to be seen.

The two ponies stood just outside her bush now, glaring at her.

She ran. Bursting out of the bush, she streaked out down the street. Lyra and Bon Bon tailed her closely, still closing in.

Thankfully, Twilight had something the earth pony and unicorn behind her didn't. She spread her wings and took to the sky, soaring way from her pursuit.

Her wings froze. She looked down at them, mouth hanging open as she plummeted. A soft yellow glow from Lyra's horn enveloped her wings, making them useless.

She struggled against the magical bind, but it was no use. She only had one option left.

Her horn glowed.