• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Unwelcome

Chapter 9 – Unwelcome

Pinkie glanced back over her shoulder again. “Should we really be here, Twilight?”

“Ssh!” Twilight held a hoof against Pinkie's mouth for silence, whispering, “Of course not. This is Crusaders turf.” She glanced up at the treehouse ahead.

Together, they crept under the apple trees and low brush, finally darting up to the ramp of the clubhouse.

“I... I really shouldn’t be here.” Pinkie trembled there, unable to set foot on the ramp.

Giving her a sidelong glance, Twilight flicked her tail. “Fine. You stay here. Did you bring the goods?”

“Y-yeah.” Pinkie pulled a brown paper package tied up with string out of her mane. “Are you sure? That's a lot to be carrying around in–” she glanced side to side “–these parts.”

“I'll be fine.” The ramp beckoned Twilight, full of silent, watchful menace. “You just stay here and make sure we have a clear escape route.”

Step by step, Twilight advanced up the creaky wooden ramp, the package safe in her magical grip.

“What do you want?” a voice from inside shot out, before she even made it halfway up.

She continued all the way up to the front door slowly, quietly. One couldn't afford to show fear in a place like this. “I just want to talk.”

“We don't have anything to say to the likes of you.”

Twilight smirked at the tone of Scootaloo's voice. “Oh, really?” She slapped the package up against the tiny window on the door. “How about now?”

“Is that what I think it is?” Sweetie Belle's voice squeaked. A muted scuffle broke out behind the door.

“Ten kilos of Sugarcube Corner's finest gummy bears. Still fresh.” Twilight's smirk grew. She knew the language of these types.

Seconds passed as a muffled argument raged inside. Finally, the irate whispering died down, replaced by the voice of one pegasus filly. “Fine. Hand it over, and you can come in. She isn't invited.”

Twilight glanced down at Pinkie before answering. “Deal.”

A lock clicked... and another, and another. With the sound of one last bolt sliding back, the door creaked open.

Squeezing through an opening barely wide enough to admit her, Twilight levitated the package along behind her.

Inside, unmarked boxes stood in a neat stack along one wall. Only empty juice boxes occupied the one small table, and a pile of well-used magazines filled one corner.

“Business has been slow?” Twilight asked with an arched eyebrow.

Apple Bloom snatched the package out of the air. “What's it to ya?”

Twilight took one heavy breath. This would be it. “I'm here to help you with that.”

Three fillies stared at her as if she'd suddenly grown a second set of wings. “You?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yes, me.” Twilight tossed her head, flinging her forelock away from her eyes. “I understand you've run up against some rather ruthless competition in Ponyville lately. If you can provide me with information about it, I'll be glad to remove that competition.”

The three fillies glanced at one another. Sweetie Belle hugged the package of candy tightly.

“Forget about it,” Scootaloo said.

Apple Bloom jumped up next to her. “Yeah! We ain't squealers!”

Twilight flinched. “Now girls, this–”

“This is a totally legit club.” Scootaloo stared her down. “There's no illegal stuff here.”

Twilight's eyes darted between the three of them. “Come on, there must be something you can tell me about–”

“We don't know nothin'.” Apple Bloom stomped one tiny hoof down.

Twilight nearly growled. “Girls!”

“Better be careful, Twilight.” Sweetie Belle's voice from behind made Twilight whirl around. “A treehouse can be a dangerous place. We wouldn't want anything to happen to you.”

“Oh.” Twilight grimaced. “T-that's okay. I was just leaving anyway.”

“Good.” A big, juicy smile spread across Scootaloo's face as Twilight back toward the door.

Twilight shut the door behind her and hurried down the ramp.

“We'll see you around,” a sweet and ominous voice called from above.

Twilight dragged Pinkie along in her hasty exit, heading for the shortest path out of Crusaders territory. “Well, that was a bust.”

“Ooh, so what do we do now?” Pinkie bounced along, as happily as ever. “Give up and ride off into the sunset? Give up and go get some ice cream? Give up and go home?” She stood still for a moment, vibrating in place. “Oh! I hope it's the middle one!”

“No.” Twilight gave her what should have been a withering glare.

Pinkie did not wither. “Aw... can we at least get ice cream anyway?”

No. We have work to do.”

This time, Pinkie did wither. “Oh... okay.” She began moving again, not bouncing this time, just walking. “What's the work?”

Twilight grinned a vicious little grin. “No more shortcuts and dead ends. We follow the money.”